CHL/NHL Prospects Game Jan.17

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
He wasn't invited because he was draft eligible for last draft. I believe the top prospects game is only for prospects in there 1st year of draft eligibility
ahh, hocekydb.com says Feb 28th 1988, but I checked the OHL site and it says Sept 23rd 1988, so you are correct, last time I check hockeydb for anything

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Horrible annoucing - most people are just trying to identify the players but rather tna annoucing the game and letting us get to know some of unfamilair players these two rant on trying to impress with the CHL trivia. Wish TSN had the game.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Horrible annoucing - most people are just trying to identify the players but rather tna annoucing the game and letting us get to know some of unfamilair players these two rant on trying to impress with the CHL trivia. Wish TSN had the game.

You don't like how Lobardias uses "man power advantage" instead of "powerplay", or "twenty goal getter" instead of "twenty goal scorer"?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
My favorites so far:

-Moller
-Veilleux (he's all over the place)
-Katic (great speed, great vision, great skills, I'm a fan)
-Hamill (nice vision)
-Blum
-Ellington
-Negrin
-Ellerby

Canada produces great mobile 2-way defencemen

P.S. Is Marshall really a candidate for next year's U20? That's what the RDS guys said and I'm not impressed thus far.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Whitesnake said:
-Katic (great speed, great vision, great skills, I'm a fan)
I have never been a big katic fan, and this game didn't change anything for me. behind the great wheels, and nice little spins and twists to avoid forecheckers, i thought he was giving it away like crazy in his own zone, and icing it far too often looking for the long pass.

Negrin on the other hand, i had never seen before this game, and i found him very impressive. strong long strides, great mobility and poise, and good in both ends.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
The best in my opinion so far...... :

Akim Aliu (size, speed, stickhandling, shot, the complete package)
Keven Veilleux (size, great vision)
Oskar Moller (great hands and speed)
Mark Katic (good 2-way defencemen, I love it)
Zach Hamill (incredible vision and hands)
Patrick Kane (what a stickhandler and playmaker)
Brett MaClean (what a speedster)
Keven Marshall (pretty good in all zone)

Guys like Sam Gagner, Angelo Esposito and Jakub Voracek hasn't impress me at all... I was expected more from theses top guns.... Voracek has a goal though....

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
IMO...

Impressive/Raised their Stock
- Oscar Moller : great hands, skating, vision, most visible player IMO
- Zach Hamill : I thought his dangling was as good as Kane, seemed like a slippery player with outstanding vision though was a bit selfish at times
- Keven Veilleux : really came to play, used his body to hit, went to the net, showed soft hands, speed is somewhat of a question mark but skating is adequate.
- Akim Aliu : skating was suspect but made some nice plays with the puck and looked very good on the PK
- Ruslan Bashkirov : excellent speed, nice shot, good skillset

Unimpressive/Stock Stayed the Same, maybe dropped
- Sam Gagner : had problems on the backcheck, his passing and vision are topnotch but he seems to shy away from the physical and defensive aspects of the game
- Pat Kane : can dangle but when tightly checked, couldn't do much with the puck
- Brandon Sutter : I was a fan of his, but he looked nervous on the PP. Did nothing to highlight his skills and seemed instead like a prototypical average grinder rather than the skilled player he is.
- Angelo Esposito : I like that he checked players and hit, but didn't stand out outside of that at all.

Lowered their Stock
- Colton Gillies : can skate, but completely invisible, goes to the outside at every opportunity, doesn't use his huge frame
- Mark Katic : skating is as advertised by far the best of the draft class but tonight, I didn't think he was able to overcome his lack of size at all in the defensive zone. Looked completely overmatched in the D zone.
- John Negrin : seemed slow to me, fumbled the puck, too many giveaways

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The best in my opinion so far...... :

Akim Aliu (size, speed, stickhandling, shot, the complete package)
Keven Veilleux (size, great vision)
Oskar Moller (great hands and speed)
Mark Katic (good 2-way defencemen, I love it)
Zach Hamill (incredible vision and hands)
Patrick Kane (what a stickhandler and playmaker)
Brett MaClean (what a speedster)
Keven Marshall (pretty good in all zone)

Guys like Sam Gagner, Angelo Esposito and Jakub Voracek hasn't impress me at all... I was expected more from theses top guns.... Voracek has a goal though....

Those two guys really impressed me in this game. Especially Aliu, he strikes me as an not as offensively dynamic Eric Staal style player, maybe a bigger version of Jamie Langenburner(sp).

I was very unimpressed with Angelo Esposito, frankly he looked to me like a slight more skill version of Mike Ribiero. He has a ability, but damned is he a lazy ***ed player.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Since the start of the year, a lot of people who regularly watch the QMJHL have been raiving about Keven Veilleux and calling him a very underrated player to no avail. Hopefully this good showing, even if it's still one game, puts him on the radar and makes people realise that he actually is/could be a top 15 player in the draft.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
I was very unimpressed with Angelo Esposito, frankly he looked to me like a slight more skill version of Mike Ribiero. He has a ability, but damned is he a lazy ***ed player.

I thought the same thing. Espo had a couple good bursts of speed but I thought he kind of dogged it a fair bit. I was thinking he would put on a show in this game.

Zach Hamill and Oscar Moller stuck out the most to me, and I thought Perron looked pretty good too.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
The thing people said about Veilleux is that he wasn't physical and didn't go in the traffic... I guess they were wrong...

turnbuckle*

The thing people said about Veilleux is that he wasn't physical and didn't go in the traffic... I guess they were wrong...

Based on two hits? It was nice to see and all, but scouts are going to want to see his do it for his junior club, especially down the stretch.

He has had whole games where he's gone nowhere near the traffic, so don't let a couple of solid checks in an all-star game convince you that he's "Mr. Physical".

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Moller will his draft rankings finally rise after this, my raving a boasting about him over the last year didnt seem to help, but im sure his performance tonight caught many peoples eyes.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Based on two hits? It was nice to see and all, but scouts are going to want to see his do it for his junior club, especially down the stretch.

He has had whole games where he's gone nowhere near the traffic, so don't let a couple of solid checks in an all-star game convince you that he's "Mr. Physical".

he's also very young, and showed to at least to care about the physical part of the game !

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Just came back from the game and boy Akim Aliu is one heck of a player! Pat Burns was trying to match him against Esposito and it worked very well. He does everything on the ice, forecheck , hits , backcheck , block lanes, drive to the net , pass.. He was the game MVP for the Reds imo. Kevin Veilleux had a strong game too.

On the flip side i was really disspointed in Pat Kane , i expected a lot more from him. He was getting regular shift with Esposito and never did anything, looks like a puck hog with poor work ethic on D.

The game was pretty good. The players weren't afraid to hit and rough it up when they had the occasion. There was some pushing and shoving behind the play so it kept the competiton level.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm writing this without reading the entire thread becuase I'm watching the game right now (I taped it when it was on earlier) and I don't want to spoil anything. However, at this early juncture in the game, I already have a stupid nit to pick.

What is up with the rink PA guy? I get it. He has to speak in both official languages. However, he was pronouncing team names with a thick francophone accent when he spoke in french and no accent when he spoke in english, making even the same team sound different. It seems stupid, but it meant that Tyson Sexsmith came from "Vaughn-cue-vair" while Michael Repik was from Vancouver. He even did it in the intro when mentioning Home Hardware, except in reverse. In french, it was "home hardeware" in english, it was " 'ome 'ardware"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad