Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That Athletic article is worth the repost, it's very in-depth. It also solidifies my belief that Shero's true first draft wasn't that good, at least compared to the ones that came afterward. Bratt was a steal, Davies can be a solid contributor should he come here, but everyone else will either figure into bottom-line roles, may not make it to the NHL, or has already been traded to the Rangers.

I'm sorry what?

Bratt already makes that draft a home run.

Anderson is already a bottom 6 NHLer

Davies is signed in the NHL and looks like he will be a contributor

Bastian looked solid down the stretch last year

not sure how you can consider that draft a disappointment. Yes, we all hope McLeod would have done more by now, but still.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
To me, 2 NHLers from a draft is the baseline. If you average 10 years out of players and add 2 every year, that's a 20 man roster. Anything more than that is a success. Getting 4-5 is a GREAT draft (if they can carve out 10 year careers).

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I'm sorry what?

not sure how you can consider that draft a disappointment. Yes, we all hope McLeod would have done more by now, but still.

even if it was ray's worst draft, it was better than the previous 8 years of lou/conte drafting anyway, at the very least

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
wouldn't call anderson a bottom 6-er just year though, just because he played that role on a last place team this year. still needs to develop more in the ahl imo

Reactions: Darkauron

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
wouldn't call anderson a bottom 6-er just year though, just because he played that role on a last place team this year. still needs to develop more in the ahl imo

Ya know... I would LOVE to stack all these guys - Anderson, Bastian, McLeod, Davies, Boqvist, etc in Bing and see if and see if they can actually be a competitive AHL team. It seems like we have a lot of promise in our pipeline, but it's getting deeply concerning to me that we seem so incompetent down there. Yes, I know there were injury call-ups and such, but they weren't doing so well before all that happened either. It's time for them to put up.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ya know... I would LOVE to stack all these guys - Anderson, Bastian, McLeod, Davies, Boqvist, etc in Bing and see if and see if they can actually be a competitive AHL team. It seems like we have a lot of promise in our pipeline, but it's getting deeply concerning to me that we seem so incompetent down there. Yes, I know there were injury call-ups and such, but they weren't doing so well before all that happened either. It's time for them to put up.

A number of those guys weren't in Bingo for a good part of all of last season. The goaltending other than MBW was meh and the defense seemed like nothing to write home about. That said, the AHL team struggled without question. I think next season they will improve if guys like Bastian, McLeod, and Seney can play a full season there and start to mature. Hopefully the goaltending is sorted out and the defense improves as well.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm sorry what?

Bastian looked solid down the stretch last year

This isn't a new way to post for the OP. To have that many guys at worst be AHLers is a success. Half the time teams draft guys that never even get to the AHL.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Davies could be a key player for Bing if he is down there for most of the year. Don't think we have had a d-man as talented as he is down there in awhiles.

In general think we are slowly stacking the AHL team thanks the number of draft picks in recent years. The guys you mention, plus Gignac, Sharangovich, Seney, Colton White. Part of the problem with the AHL team is how many young guys were on the squad. Now All these guys have at least a year of pro hockey under their belts so that should help, but on the other hand we likely won't have Q down there. Not sure about Lappin or Pietilla either. Those 3 were the 3 top goal scorers on the team as well as 3 of the top 4 point producers.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can’t be upset about the Devils drafting acumen. From 2015 on the Scouts have been absurdly good. Sometimes they miss on home runs but they have established a solid template for finding talent. There is “Hope”/“Chance” for most of the prospects to have some impact some professional level. The Devils’ formula for finding late round talent (3/4 on ) has been amazing.

Example: 2 recent 7s. Hellickson looks great playing for Notre Damn. I an fine with the Devils stashing long-term prospects. Don’t know much about Eetu except he crushed his junior league. While his future is a mystery, I do know it will be exciting to track his progress.

Revisiting the New Jersey Devils Draft Classes from 2009 to 2018

Reactions: My3Sons

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
McLeod was really he only bad pick from 2016... However, it was a clear home run swing. He matched the organization’s new philosophy for speed and compete level. He still should be able to carve out a career, as a bottom-6 player. His AHL production also picked it up once he became adjusted. Our 2016 draft is looking phenomenal.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Seems like most of the AHL teams that have good records historically have a high percentage of veterans, though. Right now I'd rather have a younger team that is giving legit prospects ice time.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hoelscher has 13 points in 14 games. That is pretty damn impressive.

That Ottawa team is nuts. Still haven’t lost.
They picked up that Chiodo guy midseason and he has been a monster in the playoffs, 8-17-25 in 14 gp's. I've seen him in a bunch of Hoelscher's highlights as well.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
They picked up that Chiodo guy midseason and he has been a monster in the playoffs, 8-17-25 in 14 gp's. I've seen him in a bunch of Hoelscher's highlights as well.
Could perhaps be an interesting camp invite? This is the last draft he’ll be eligible for, so if he’s not selected he becomes UFA. Maybe an AHL contract?

Reactions: BurntToast

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

8ouEKVRl.png

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Bunch of those guys like Morrissey Sanheim and Theodore went back to the CHL for their +2 years. They even spent significant time in the AHL after that before getting consistent playing time in the NHL.

We may be too quick penciling him in for a spot next season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bunch of those guys like Morrissey Sanheim and Theodore went back to the CHL for their +2 years. They even spent significant time in the AHL after that before getting consistent playing time in the NHL.

We may be too quick penciling him in for a spot next season.

ES points are part skill, part randomness - they're just one measure of what's going on. Where people are going wrong is assuming that Smith is going to be an average or better player in the NHL next season - that's unlikely. I'd be very surprised if he went back to the WHL without significant time in the NHL first.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Hmm. Interesting. From that article:

Because of the agreement between the International Ice Hockey Federation and the Swedish Hockey League, should Boqvist sign a contract this off-season, he will either have to be on the Devils NHL roster or sent back to the SHL to play with Brynas.

I was previously assuming that the NHL clause was for him to be signed by his NHL team (and thus eligible to play in the AHL), not actually playing ONLY in the NHL.

I'm glad that's at least clear now.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Hmm. Interesting. From that article:

I was previously assuming that the NHL clause was for him to be signed by his NHL team (and thus eligible to play in the AHL), not actually playing ONLY in the NHL.

I'm glad that's at least clear now.
wait so that means he has to be on the NHL roster the whole year? are you sure that means we can't send him to bing? bc i would assume signing an ELC would mean he could play down there

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
wait so that means he has to be on the NHL roster the whole year? are you sure that means we can't send him to bing? bc i would assume signing an ELC would mean he could play down there
That's what the article seems to say. NHL or SHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->