Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
As I was really getting in hockey in the mid 90s, I also had a buddy (who grew up in Michigan) who was hyping the heck out of Morrison. Morrison helped lead Michigan to the national title in 1996. I adopted Michigan as my college hockey team as a result and dropped by Ann Arbor in 2012 and 2014.

I didn't know a ton about Parise headed into the 2003 Draft. Most rankings had him going around #10, so I didn't think he'd be a consideration when we originally had #22. Pierre's meltdown got me excited about the pick though.

1995 was the first draft I watched, so I still have fond memories of that one. I think somebody uploaded it on YouTube a few years ago and it was fun to rewatch and see how the coverage was a little more relaxed and unpolished compared to today's broadcast. One thing that made me laugh during the rewatch was a couple of times when the announcers mentioned that a certain prospect looked great in Mexico. I learned later that the summer time Ivan Hlinka tournament (now the Hlinka/Gretzky rotating between the Czech Republic and Canada) originated as the Pacific Cup. Japan hosted it in the early 90s to try to get some local exposure, possibly because of the 1998 Olympics. Mexico happened to host it in the summer of 1994.

Reactions: Oneiro

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
As I was really getting in hockey in the mid 90s, I also had a buddy (who grew up in Michigan) who was hyping the heck out of Morrison. Morrison helped lead Michigan to the national title in 1996. I adopted Michigan as my college hockey team as a result and dropped by Ann Arbor in 2012 and 2014.

I didn't know a ton about Parise headed into the 2003 Draft. Most rankings had him going around #10, so I didn't think he'd be a consideration when we originally had #22. Pierre's meltdown got me excited about the pick though.

1995 was the first draft I watched, so I still have fond memories of that one. I think somebody uploaded it on YouTube a few years ago and it was fun to rewatch and see how the coverage was a little more relaxed and unpolished compared to today's broadcast. One thing that made me laugh during the rewatch was a couple of times when the announcers mentioned that a certain prospect looked great in Mexico. I learned later that the summer time Ivan Hlinka tournament (now the Hlinka/Gretzky rotating between the Czech Republic and Canada) originated as the Pacific Cup. Japan hosted it in the early 90s to try to get some local exposure, possibly because of the 1998 Olympics. Mexico happened to host it in the summer of 1994.

I graduated College in 1994 and was very into in NCAA hockey then. My wife then girlfriend was involved with NCAA hockey from a management perspective...

Michigan then under Red Berenson had been a powerhouse for years before Morrison got there

Take a look at Denny Felsner's career at Michigan just before Morrison got there. I remember his 94 point season that had him a 1992 Hobey Baker finalist...I remember it because I was hoping Pellerin would win it being a Devils prospect....

My point is Morrison was on a stacked team and performed only reasonably well...I mean there were tons of guys putting up numbers like his at the time. I don't remember huge hype...Hype on local level is always huge though...I mean in 1989 there was huge hype in Boston for Dave Buda at Northeastern....Who? Exactly.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
1996 Scoring leaders

Top 10 in 1996
Martin St. Louis Junior Vermont 35 29 56 85
Éric Perrin Junior Vermont 38 29 56 85
Brian Bonin Senior Minnesota 42 34 47 81
Teeder Wynne Senior North Dakota 37 26 47 73
Todd White Junior Clarkson 38 29 43 72
Brendan Morrison Junior Michigan 35 28 44 72
Peter Geronazzo Senior Colorado College 42 36 33 69
Jay Pandolfo Senior Boston University 39 38 29 67
Chris Drury Sophomore Boston University 37 35 32 67
Mike Crowley Sophomore Minnesota 42 17 46 63

Going from Memory...Probably the most hyped player on this list was Chris Drury. Drury was heralded everywhere. He was practically Captain America by his freshman year at BU -- The kid from Trumbell Connecticut of Little League World Series fame. And No one outside of Burlington talked much about St. Louis.

And when you think how stacked Michigan was...There where probably half a dozen+ future NHLers on that team, Morrison was just good from my recollection.

Mike Legg's silly goal in 1996 probably had more notoriety than any Michigan player that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
1996 Scoring leaders

Top 10 in 1996

Going from Memory...Probably the most hyped player on this list was Chris Drury. Drury was heralded everywhere. He was practically Captain America by his freshman year at BU -- The kid from Trumbell Connecticut of Little League World Series fame. And No one outside of Burlington talked much about St. Louis.

And when you think how stacked Michigan was...There where probably half a dozen+ future NHLers on that team, Morrison was just good from my recollection.

Mike Legg's silly goal in 1996 probably had more notoriety than any Michigan player that year.

I vaguely recall Morrison being ranked as a low first or second round pick by the Hockey News draft guide. Their description of him was good enough that I wanted NJ tondraft him and I wasn’t surprised when he made his way to the NHL.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
"We can really make a case that Hoelscher has been our best player since the start of the playoffs," Tourigny told TSN Radio 1200 in Ottawa late last week. "You have to look at the faceoffs, the key faceoff that he has to win, you have to look at his two-way play, you have to look at him on the [penalty kill] and how good he is.

"You have to look at his line and if I'm not mistaken he's one of the top plus/minus players in the playoffs so far," he added on the broadcast. "That's a good reflection on his performance. He's playing with a lot of intensity and a lot of urgency mentally and physically and he's a hell of a player. You know, he had a tremendous beginning half of the season last year, and this year we knew that that was the kind of hockey he can [play]."

Hoelscher has six goals and six assists in 12 playoff games this season. He also has just two penalty minutes and a plus-15 rating.

(...)

Asking Smith about the type of player currently in the NHL Hoelscher has the ability to compare his game to, Smith says Matt Cullen, Nick Bonino and Nic Dowd.

"They're bottom six forwards that are reliable in all situations and play defense first but can also contribute some offense." Smith speaks highly of Hoelscher's continued hockey sense development, something the organization is encouraged by and is something that will only continue to grow with more responsibility on his OHL roster.

PROSPECT REPORT: Mitchell Hoelscher

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
1996 Scoring leaders

Top 10 in 1996

lol jason botterill sighting

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
About Jesper Boqvist:

“I just watched Boqvist play against the Fins (last week),” Fitzgerald said. “I went over to watch the (Kaapo) Kakko kid and both Jespers (Bratt and Boqvist) played. It was a good game to watch. (Boqvist) has made tremendous strides from where he was a year ago. Just his speed is incredible. In-flight speed, I don’t know if we have anyone in our organization faster, and that includes (Taylor Hall). He effortlessly moves around the ice. He’s made some great strides.

“He became a top player in that league as a young player. It says a lot about his ability and a lot about how, maybe, lucky we are by getting him in the second round.”

<- I also saw that game. Boqvist was pretty good. He had some chances, and his skating is noticeable. It's interesting to see, how his game translates to the NHL. I hope he can be an effective TOP6 winger for us in the future.

By the way, is Hall faster skater than Wood? I doubt it.

'I don't know if we have anyone in our organization faster':... (paywall)

Ah, this was already mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think Wood is the fastest straight line player on the team but I interpret in flight as the fastest while still making hockey moves, imo. Hall is the fastest in that category for now.

Reactions: Verdoux

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I think Wood is the fastest straight line player on the team but I interpret in flight as the fastest while still making hockey moves, imo. Hall is the fastest in that category for now.

Basically. I interpret it as skating with the puck as well as having finer movements, cuts and agility. Wood gets to his top speed, but looks like he really exerts himself to get there, and lacks balances and control. Players like Hall are able to effortlessly get up to speed and actually utilize their hockey skills, like puck handling, passing and receiving passes, changing directions, and displaying figure skating like abilities at high speed.

Reactions: Verdoux

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
That Athletic article is worth the repost, it's very in-depth. It also solidifies my belief that Shero's true first draft wasn't that good, at least compared to the ones that came afterward. Bratt was a steal, Davies can be a solid contributor should he come here, but everyone else will either figure into bottom-line roles, may not make it to the NHL, or has already been traded to the Rangers.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
That Athletic article is worth the repost, it's very in-depth. It also solidifies my belief that Shero's true first draft wasn't that good, at least compared to the ones that came afterward. Bratt was a steal, Davies can be a solid contributor should he come here, but everyone else will either figure into bottom-line roles, may not make it to the NHL, or has already been traded to the Rangers.

Strange that most drafts are like that... also strange that guys are already being pigeonholed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad