Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That is a viable top 4 as in those players exist, but Merrill and Santini aren't top 4 defensemen, and Severson isn't a top pairing guy (Larsson probably is one), so it isn't a viable top 4 if you want to compete in any way.

Gelinas had a ton of promise, but his hockey IQ never caught up with his physical skill.
I didn't necessarily mean that was a viable top 4, I wasn't thinking that any how....I meant the guys listed in his top 4 were still viable players.

But I wouldn't so quick to dismiss those players...

It doesn't mean anything but Merrill is currently playing top 4 minutes in Vegas and so weremost of Santini's minutes last season. Which would make it a "viable" possibility.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
It kinda sucks for D prospects. McAvoy is the first prospect that got a lot love from media. It will be interesting to see how Dahlin’s year progresses. Obviously, he will get attention being #1 overall pick but Buffalo isn’t particularly good and I feel like he will be judged on their success, unless he has outstanding offensive number.

I personally didn’t see that much of a gap between Smith and Dahlin. Plus, mid-late first rounder/2nd round defenseman have shined.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Another 2 point night for Smith. 13 points in 7 games now. Only on pace for 130 points in 70 games so far, not bad.

Reactions: My3Sons

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
he already signed an ELC, and it's not like he's an NCAA player who can use a "loophole" lol.

he'll be here end of year (unless he drags spokane to playoffs)

I think you misunderstood me I was talking about it being a problem if he could take some bad habits with him that he learned this year.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also, if anybody has ESPN+, they'll be streaming the US U18 exhibtion game against Harvard on Saturday night. In case anybody wants to watch Reilly Walsh and get a peek at some top 2019 picks. Off the top of my head, Bob McKenzie's survey had 7 of the Team USA kids in his top 20.

I think they're offering a free 7 day trial, so I'll probably sign up for that. Although I forget if it was Yale or Harvard (or possibly both), but I remember watching one of their home games on NESN and it seemed like it was being filmed on a mid-2000s caliber webcam.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I know nothing of Schmid, is he considered a raw prospect? I do believe he was our third player taken in the draft.

It doesn't matter at all what number player he was taken by the Devils, it matters where he was drafted. He was drafted in the 5th round and there's not going to be a lot of un-raw guys available that low.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
It doesn't matter at all what number player he was taken by the Devils, it matters where he was drafted. He was drafted in the 5th round and there's not going to be a lot of un-raw guys available that low.
Yeah I know what round he was drafted in but you're wrong if you think him being third player taken, if we had multiple picks in say 3rd and 4th and Schmid was our 7th player drafted, that's a difference as opposed the being the third player taken because you have less to gamble with.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah I know what round he was drafted in but you're wrong if you think him being third player taken, if we had multiple picks in say 3rd and 4th and Schmid was our 7th player drafted, that's a difference as opposed the being the third player taken because you have less to gamble with.

That's ridiculous. He's a 5th round pick. The idea that there is a difference between a sure thing and a gamble in the 5th round isn't borne out by anything - there are no sure things in the 5th round.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
There is always a couple pissants that think they're smarter than everyone and going around being a little dick and you're definitely one of them lol

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
There is always a couple pissants that think they're smarter than everyone and going around being a little dick and you're definitely one of them lol

I mean, when someone says something ridiculous, I call it out. Anyone who tells you there are sure things in the 5th round of the NHL draft is a liar, but you've been around here long enough to know that there are definitely people who think there are. Schmid may turn out to be a bad pick, and he might not even turn out to be a professional goaltender. That's going to happen drafting in the 5th round. The Devils took Sharangovich with their next pick in the 5th round - he looks like he's an okay pro, but he might decide tomorrow to go back to the KHL. That's life in the 5th round.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I mean, hes not wrong

just because he was the third player of our draft or the 10th player of our draft changes absolutely nothing about what he is as a player
My point is when you have only so many draft picks to fill needs you don't have the luxary to gamble on a player as you would if you were had a ton of draft picks ahead of that 5th pick. You might go with a more safe bet than a high risk. Instead of trying to understand my point I was making he decided to be a dick about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->