Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2018-19 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Okay let me put it this way. Seney produced slightly better than Coleman when he was in college (107 points in 143 games). So he might be more skilled than Coleman, but I think Seney is a guy that probably will need to be played in an offensive role and I'm not sure those numbers translate to the NHL unless he adds an intangible. Granted, I've only watched Seney once, so I probably don't have a leg to stand on. But I see the argument in leaving him out of the top prospects in the organization.

It also shouldn't be taken into consideration that Seney was on pretty crappy teams.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It also shouldn't be taken into consideration that Seney was on pretty crappy teams.
Yep, and because of that, I consider him a wildcard. We don't really know what we have, but he has the potential to make the team.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't think it's been mentioned, but Eetu Pakkila played his first game of the SM-Liiga for Karpat U20 yesterday. (It's the Finnish juniors league)

He played top-line LW for the team and registered 2 assists (1 ES & 1 PP) as well as 8 shots on goal in 17:17 minutes on ice.

Devils may need to give their Scandinavian scout a hefty raise.

Bratt, Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Pakkila, who nobody heard of before he was drafted, all look like terrific picks so far.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Have they set the rosters yet?

No but it's fun to speculate:

Quenneville - Seney - Anderson
Studenic - McLeod - Zetterlund
Gignac - Sharangovich - Speers
Baddock - Hoelscher - Bastian
Edwardh - Schmelzer

Sissons - Smith
White - Jacobs
Chainey - Bernard
Yakovlev (?) - Hammond

Blackwood
Johnson
Schmid

I'm assuming guys off of their ELC like Pietila, Rooney, Kapla, and Lappin won't go. I remember that Zetterlund is coming over for camp, but can't remember if Pakkila is as well.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
First game of the prospect challenge is in like 6 days, but when do they report? I presume they do physicals and go thru at least one practice?

I'm jonesing for some more news. Hoping our beat writers will have interviews and articles in the next few days.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Devils may need to give their Scandinavian scout a hefty raise.

Bratt, Boqvist, Zetterlund, and Pakkila, who nobody heard of before he was drafted, all look like terrific picks so far.

It's very early in the season so far, but Pakkila is playing top-line LW, has 3 points (all assists) in the first 3 games of the season for Karpat U20, and is also wearing an "A" for the team.

Yet another edition of a "he's going to be a really interesting player to follow" pick by Castron & company

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Interesting - it says on Wikipedia that a player cannot be older than 20 and play in the MHL, but Popugaev doesn't turn 20 for another month, so maybe at that point he's ineligible. It is not a good sign that he is playing there.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Interesting - it says on Wikipedia that a player cannot be older than 20 and play in the MHL, but Popugaev doesn't turn 20 for another month, so maybe at that point he's ineligible. It is not a good sign that he is playing there.

With Pop, it seems like effort is much more a concern than skill so I’m happy to have him play anywhere that will get him working hard.

At this point, I assume everyone is just throwing Pop anywhere and hoping it’ll wake him up.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Pop is a goner unfortunately IMO

It does seem that way, though I'd personally wait a little longer before thinking that way for certain. Either way, I really liked the pick then and still like it now in theory. May as well swing for the fences at that point in the draft and Big Poppy does have undeniable raw skills and obviously size.

Reactions: Billdo and Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It does seem that way, though I'd personally wait a little longer before thinking that way for certain. Either way, I really liked the pick then and still like it now in theory. May as well swing for the fences at that point in the draft and Big Poppy does have undeniable raw skills and obviously size.
It was definitely a good gamble at that point in the draft. I have no regrets.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

It was definitely a good gamble at that point in the draft. I have no regrets.

So much more of a better shot in the dark than the Rehills and Baddocks of the world.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
With Pop, it seems like effort is much more a concern than skill so I’m happy to have him play anywhere that will get him working hard.

At this point, I assume everyone is just throwing Pop anywhere and hoping it’ll wake him up.

The MHL has to be sub-WHL*. Had he stuck in the WHL and had a good season, he might've been expected to play in the AHL this season. In short, I'd've hoped that he would've woken up and would at least be playing critical minutes for a VHL team. He may well do that this season, but still, I'd like to see him start there.

* - EDIT - I realize this may not be the case because the WHL is a regional league and the MHL is not. But I'd still assume it to be true.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
The MHL has to be sub-WHL*. Had he stuck in the WHL and had a good season, he might've been expected to play in the AHL this season. In short, I'd've hoped that he would've woken up and would at least be playing critical minutes for a VHL team. He may well do that this season, but still, I'd like to see him start there.

* - EDIT - I realize this may not be the case because the WHL is a regional league and the MHL is not. But I'd still assume it to be true.
you like to assume a lot lol

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
you like to assume a lot lol

I think it's a very safe assumption. For one, the WHL does allow players who are 20 or older. Two, players are artificially held in the WHL instead of graduating to the professional ranks because of various rules - as I understand it, there aren't limitations like that in Russia, so players graduate out of junior hockey sooner - a player like e.g. Sam Steel would never be at the junior level at age 19 in Russia; he'd probably be playing in the KHL. Most players drafted high out of Russia are already playing in the KHL in their draft season - for example, Klim Kostin was playing in the MHL at age 16, Kravtsov played there in his age 16-17 season, Evgeny Svechnikov played there when he was 16 and 17 - it seems like the best players either graduate from that league to Russian pro hockey or they come over here for their draft year, and no one playing in the Russian Super Series against the various CHL All-Star teams are generally MHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad