CHL moving to TSN, dumping Rogers

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
For real?? I hope so as I woudl love to see more junior hockey games from WHL, OHL, QMJHL... would be great as TSN does a fabalous job with the World Junior Hockey Championships for many years now...

Reactions: Anichels

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I'm not asking for much, a game a week + maybe 5 minutes of coverage on SportsCentre. Even better if they can squeeze in a weekly CHL show. This should not be hard for TSN to pull off...

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
I will miss the broadcasters on Sportsnet such as R.J. Broadhead, Sam Cosentino, and Rob Faulds (and Peter Loubaridus but he is long gone) but it makes a lot of sense. Sportsnet has the NHL they don't need junior hockey and this could be a main focus for TSN and they could give the CHL the increased attention it deserves. And also although the Sportsnet broadcasters will always have a special place in my heart because I grew up listening to them in the Mem Cup, TSN has probably the best broadcasters in hockey and they are under-utilized right now: Gord Miller, Ray Ferraro, James Duthie, Bob McKenzie - and Jay Onrait would make the highlights entertaining

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I will miss the broadcasters on Sportsnet such as R.J. Broadhead, Sam Cosentino, and Rob Faulds (and Peter Loubaridus but he is long gone) but it makes a lot of sense. Sportsnet has the NHL they don't need junior hockey and this could be a main focus for TSN and they could give the CHL the increased attention it deserves. And also although the Sportsnet broadcasters will always have a special place in my heart because I grew up listening to them in the Mem Cup, TSN has probably the best broadcasters in hockey and they are under-utilized right now: Gord Miller, Ray Ferraro, James Duthie, Bob McKenzie - and Jay Onrait would make the highlights entertaining
That’s a good point about the Sportsnet guys. They do a great job. If it does switch to TSN, I would love to see Sam Cosentino join TSN to some capacity. The guy definitely has his finger on the pulse of the CHL and it’s prospects, although it might be kind of redundant with Craig Button.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Bobby Mac is semi-retired so he'll probably only show up to Mem Cup..... ESPN has signed Ray so his TSN commitments might be a lot lower, and Gord does games for NBC though they've lost right so unknown what happens there.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
"Beginning with the 2021-22 season, the new partnerships include approximately 30 regular-season games each year delivered by TSN, in addition to select playoff coverage and the comprehensive suite of CHL national events. Additionally, the agreement includes approximately 20 French-language broadcasted games on RDS, early-season weekend games broadcasted by CBC Sports, as well as digital streaming rights featuring a CHL TV broadcast each week during the regular season on TSN, RDS, and the free CBC Gem streaming service."

Canadian Hockey League announces new multi-year broadcast partnerships – CHL

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Great news all around.

Curious about why CBC Sports only gets involved for "early-season weekend games" though... why not commit to a couple of games a month through the entire season? Why go halfway like that?

stormcity

Aug 25, 2015
Great news all around.

Curious about why CBC Sports only gets involved for "early-season weekend games" though... why not commit to a couple of games a month through the entire season? Why go halfway like that?

CBC will air early season games on TV, CBC Gem and CBCSports.ca but after it will air the games only on CBC Gem and CBCSports.ca with TSN doing the tv.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad