CHL in Brampton; New Affiliate?

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
Now that the Central Hockey League is expanding to Brampton, would it not make perfect sense for the Leafs and Marlies to affiliate with them from a logistical perspective? Its to my understanding we are without an ECHL/CHL affiliate this year. Downside to the Brampton team is it sounds like an awful lot of travel... Pros/Cons?

- Also, Whats the competition like compared to the ECHL?

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
There's a CHL team by the name of the Brampton Battalion.

Pro teams don't affiliate with Junior teams

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I would think its a good idea. This year we learned the importance of a double-A affiliate by not having in. Too many prospects were in the press box with the Marlies that needed playing time. Then they finally get sent down but go all over the place.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Misleading title is misleading: OP is referring to Central Hockey League, not Canadian Hockey League where the Battalion are leaving Brampton.

IMO, this CHL isn't exactly a major pro league, we just need an ECHL affiliate.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Misleading title is misleading: OP is referring to Central Hockey League, not Canadian Hockey League where the Battalion are leaving Brampton.

CHL is a AA league. The ECHL is also a AA league.

Phoenix, Colorado and Dallas all have a CHL affiliate rather than one in the ECHL.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario

Its not misleading if your up to date with the goings on :laugh: Anyways my apologies, i'm not sure how to change the title. Maybe a mod could do that for me.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I really like the idea. Might help with ticket sales also.

BBM Brampton Baby Marlies???

Brampton In-utero Leafs???

Number13

May 21, 2007
Very good idea, they should look into this. If we could develop a three tiered, local system, that could only be a good thing from an organizational standpoint.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Excellent idea, would also get Brampton more fans as they would love to see potential future Leafs. ie. Brad Ross.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Now that the Central Hockey League is expanding to Brampton, would it not make perfect sense for the Leafs and Marlies to affiliate with them from a logistical perspective? Its to my understanding we are without an ECHL/CHL affiliate this year. Downside to the Brampton team is it sounds like an awful lot of travel... Pros/Cons?

- Also, Whats the competition like compared to the ECHL?

The Central Hockey League is pretty far off the radar... I'm pretty sure if a prospect is going down to the ECHL or CHL, you probably won't be hearing much from him anymore, so who cares where it is... :laugh:

Runningchief

Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Ain't no potential NHL anything that far down the food chain...

Reimer Scrivens Steckel

A lot of goalies played in the ECHL Jonathan Quick, Jaroslav Halak, Braden Holtby, and Michal Neuvirth. 87 players on opening day rosters this year played in the ECHL

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
To be honest there are actually quite a few players currently playing in the NHL whom spent time in AA.

A buddy of mine played some time in the ECHL and he is in the NHL now, out with a bad hand and spent a good chunk of time in the press box but still made his way up.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Ain't no potential NHL anything that far down the food chain...

You might want to check your facts on that. Andrew Brunette came out of the ECHL and played over 1100 games in the NHL. Ruslan Fedotenko came out of that level as well and has played over 800 NHL games. In addition Scrivens, Reimer, Olaf Kolzig, J.S. Aubin, Alex Auld, Martin Biron, Eric Cairns, Luca Caputi, Daniel Carcillo, Cory Conacher, B. J. Crombeen, George Parros, P. A. Parenteau, and many more came out of that level and made it to the NHL.

In fact, there have been 502 players who played in the ECHL who have made it to the NHL.

But yeah, you're right, ain't no potential NHL anything that far down the food chain :shakehead

http://www.echl.com/alumni-s12397

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad