CHL Import Goalie Ban

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
So the news has just broke that in the 2013 import draft, goalies can only be taken in the first round. In 2014, goalies cannot be taken at all in the import draft. What do you guys make of this new rule? I think it is possibly the dumbest thing they have ever done. Import goalies do no have that large of an impact and it is not the reason there is a lack of strong Canadian goalies right now. This is purely a knee jerk reaction to Canada's failure at the World Junior Championship in my opinion. Also, as an Otters fan, this really blows. We screw up every import we bring in besides goalies.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
So the news has just broke that in the 2013 import draft, goalies can only be taken in the first round. In 2014, goalies cannot be taken at all in the import draft. What do you guys make of this new rule? I think it is possibly the dumbest thing they have ever done. Import goalies do no have that large of an impact and it is not the reason there is a lack of strong Canadian goalies right now. This is purely a knee jerk reaction to Canada's failure at the World Junior Championship in my opinion. Also, as an Otters fan, this really blows. We screw up every import we bring in besides goalies.

It seems pretty prejudice to me. Canada should embrace the competition.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

Trying hard to think of which current NHL European goalie came through the CHL?

VAN, EDM, CAL, MIN, COL - nope
SJ, LA, ANA, PHX, DAL - nope
CHI, STL, NAS, CBS, DET - nope
TOR, OTT, MON, BOS, BUF - nope
WAS, TB, FLA, CAR, WIN - nope
NJ, NYR, NYI, PHI, PIT - nope

As for Canada's goalies not being the cream of the crop, let's also consider that there are only 60 NHL goalie jobs available. If you were a parent, you'd probably want your kid playing forward or defense as there is more opportunity.

Not to mention, sometimes, by circumstance you may have the skill, but end up stuck behind someone else, like Bernier in LA, etc.

So, not surprising that kids today don't want to be a goalie. Cooler to be Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. than it is to be a goalie.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

The Capital's Michael Neuvirth played in the OHL. He was Plymouth's starting goalie on the 2007 championship team.

Regardless, it's a stupid rule looking to solve a problem that doesn't exist. With only two import spots per team and the relatively small number of European goalies in the CHL, this is completely unnecessary and hurts the CHL, IMO. It means less talent in the league, which hurts player development. It also means a lower quality product for the fans to watch.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I don't understand the thinking here, especially with the claim to be the best junior hockey league don't you need the best. Each team only has 2 import spots, this is a joke.

Section19

Sep 17, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Terrible that the CHL has implemented a sort of protectionism into the leagues. They should want the best players to want to come and play here instead of preventing them from doing so.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
As a far away fan of the CHL, the reason why I love it so much is the "Big League" mentality of the operation.
The very best Europeans can try and make an impact, on teams stacked with the very best of N/American talent....
If a Russian kid, is extremly talented, driven and has the "bolshovieks" to take his chance, then good on him...

They certainly bring a different flavour to the teams....as well as some outside interest, and cash.

So is this in reaction to the Canadians failing at the U-20`s?
Maybe if the Canadian media stopped annointing them as winners EVERY year {before a puck has been dropped!},and not apply so much pressure on them they loose thier heads and composure, {and take penalty, after penalty} then perhaps, THAT will help, more than banning some lone Goaltender.

At the end of the day, the Canadian kids always come through,at prolevel, so i dont even understand what they are trying to achieve?

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

As for Canada's goalies not being the cream of the crop, let's also consider that there are only 60 NHL goalie jobs available. If you were a parent, you'd probably want your kid playing forward or defense as there is more opportunity.

Not to mention, sometimes, by circumstance you may have the skill, but end up stuck behind someone else, like Bernier in LA, etc.

So, not surprising that kids today don't want to be a goalie. Cooler to be Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, etc. than it is to be a goalie.

Pavelec, Neuvirth and Halak, are all recent examples.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

I made thread in the main Canadian Junoir Hockey forum, but yeah huge over reaction by the CHL. Taking away competition is not going to make Canadian goalies better.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
I made thread in the main Canadian Junoir Hockey forum, but yeah huge over reaction by the CHL. Taking away competition is not going to make Canadian goalies better.

I disagree. Nothing is changing in the quality of shooters. This rule is just giving the North American goaltenders a better chance to play.

Out of the 4 European goalies in the OHL from last season, one, (Oscar Dansk, who was drafted into the NHL before CHL) will have a shot at the NHL. The other 3 goalies will probably never see professional hockey in North America after their OHL careers.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I disagree. Nothing is changing in the quality of shooters. This rule is just giving the North American goaltenders a better chance to play.

Out of the 4 European goalies in the OHL from last season, one, (Oscar Dansk, who was drafted into the NHL before CHL) will have a shot at the NHL. The other 3 goalies will probably never see professional hockey in North America after their OHL careers.

This is short sighted thinking. Not every goalie can make the NHL. Niederberger was terrific for Barrie in their making of the OHL finals. Windsor won a league/memorial cup with Grubauer. Plymouth won in 07 with Neuvirth.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

Actually a good portion of import draft players are already NHL drafted, it is usually the same year as the CHL Import draft is usually just after the NHL draft, but that besides the point.

Clearly there were four teams that though the 'local' players were not good enough to be thier starter. How will this solve Hockey Canada's problem? The CHL isn't about developing talent for the WJC.

If you are not good enough to be a starter in the CHL at the age of 18 or 19 (the age of most of the goalies in WJC) dosen't that mean the problem is the development process at an earlier stage?

Maybe Hockey Canada should look at the younger age groups and find out why CHL teams are not picking exclusivly Canadian goaltenders to begin with. If Canada had enough of a talent pool to supply 120 goalies then there would be no need for teams to select from the import pool of goalies. But I think you would be hard pressed to find 120 goalies in Canada that are better than goalies coming from Europe in the 16-20 age range.

The CHL wants to have the best junior aged players playing for them. But now it's we want to have the best junior aged players playing for the CHL, unless they are a goalie, North Americans only please.

Also why ban just goalies? Why not ban all import players?

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
This is short sighted thinking. Not every goalie can make the NHL. Niederberger was terrific for Barrie in their making of the OHL finals. Windsor won a league/memorial cup with Grubauer. Plymouth won in 07 with Neuvirth.

You are right, Niederberger is a very good goalie. But because he is Barrie's #1, Alex Fotinos, unless he is traded, wont be the #1 in Barrie until he is 19. How does that help a 2nd rd OHL draft pick get better.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You are right, Niederberger is a very good goalie. But because he is Barrie's #1, Alex Fotinos, unless he is traded, wont be the #1 in Barrie until he is 19. How does that help a 2nd rd OHL draft pick get better.

Niederberger OHL career is over so Fontinos gets the No 1 after apprenticing for the last 2 yrs
Last yr was Niederberger"s O/A season

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My bad on the O/A. Still, he is 18 before he gets a chance to be #1.

Only 1 goalie out of the top 20 goalies in the O this year was 17 and that was Guigovac for Peterborough
The rest were mainly 19 or 20 except for Patterson,Dansk,Altshuller,Murray and Martin
Nedljkovic at 16 got the starting gig in the playoffs for Plymouth rare in deed,however they got tripped up in playoffs by London"s 2 rookie 18 yr old goalies
We all saw how that worked out in the mem cup for London employing rookie goalies both of them at 18,it rarely results in total victory
Fucale at 17 for Halifax was an exception more then the norm,though by the time
the mem cup came around he was a 2 yr vet despite his age
Dont see anything wrong being a starter at 18,most are not ready at 16-17

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Only 1 goalie out of the top 20 goalies in the O this year was 17 and that was Guigovac for Peterborough
The rest were mainly 19 or 20 except for Patterson,Dansk,Altshuller,Murray and Martin
Nedljkovic at 16 got the starting gig in the playoffs for Plymouth rare in deed,however they got tripped up in playoffs by London"s 2 rookie 18 yr old goalies
We all saw how that worked out in the mem cup for London employing rookie goalies both of them at 18,it rarely results in total victory
Fucale at 17 for Halifax was an exception more then the norm,though by the time
the mem cup came around he was a 2 yr vet despite his age
Dont see anything wrong being a starter at 18,most are not ready at 16-17

And the only reason Nedeljkovic got the opportunity to start was because the Whalers initial starter, Matt Mahalak, proved to be not good enough to play at this level. BTW, both Nedeljkovic and Mahalak are American, so I do not see how that helps develop Canadian goalies, either. :sarcasm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lost a little bit of respect for both the CHL and Hockey Canada on this decision.

The lack of quality goalies coming from Canada is strange, but my opinion has been it is just that, a strange period. What worries me is that people will truly believe this has any bearing on what happens, that if Canada produces three or four good goalies in the coming years this ruling will be looked on more favorably. It just make the CHL less competitive.

You can likely add Mrazek (Ottawa 67's) to the future NHL list of import CHL goalies being thrown around up the page.

The US, Finnish, Swedish teams all play together for a couple years or in several tournaments without being split into regions or bowing to the almighty CHL and Hockey Canada. That is as much a reason for the struggles of Canada at the WJC. The other world programs seem to have a plan, Canada seems confused on what they actually want to accomplish. This ruling is another glimpse of that behavior.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
And the only reason Nedeljkovic got the opportunity to start was because the Whalers initial starter, Matt Mahalak, proved to be not good enough to play at this level. BTW, both Nedeljkovic and Mahalak are American, so I do not see how that helps develop Canadian goalies, either. :sarcasm:

Good pt forgot where Ned was from and I can tell u 19 other teams wished they drafted
last player chosen in the 6th rd by the Whale,great selection

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
This is the 1st step. Imports will eventually be completely removed from the CHL. You heard it here 1st;)
Ive been waiting for the CHL brass to bring this up for a while. And a bit surprised it hasnt as yet.With all the gamesmanship at times, money spent by clubs, perceived unfair adv for some, WJC ....it's bound to come up at some point.

The new rule seems an overreaction.
Need better coaching earlier and a way to get the atheletes wanting to play that spot. ( such as Roy's success that lead to a generation of good Q goalies

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So are we going to see more 16 and 17 year old goalies in the OHL now only to get shelled because they never got the proper tutoring at the lower levels and will now be put in a situation to sink or swim?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad