CHL import draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
Do players have to be born after a certain date to be eligible for the draft?Is there a consensus #1 for this year?Who are some players to watch for?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
In this draft there is never a true #1, teams don't draft by best player available they draft by who they have been talking to and is comming over...so the best players might not even get drafted till late 1st round or at all:

Some players to watch would for are:

Michael Frolik
Christoph Gawlick
Mikko Lehtonen
Martin Hanzal
Denis Krejeda
Tomas Pospisal
Jakub Vojta
David Ruzicka
Tomas Marcinko

Possibly some Russians who might come over are (but Russians don't normally choose this route though):

Vitally Anikeenko
Denis Istomin

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
scoutman1 said:
In this draft there is never a true #1, teams don't draft by best player available they draft by who they have been talking to and is comming over...so the best players might not even get drafted till late 1st round or at all:

Some players to watch would for are:

Michael Frolik
Christoph Gawlick
Mikko Lehtonen
Martin Hanzal
Denis Krejeda
Tomas Pospisal
Jakub Vojta
David Ruzicka
Tomas Marcinko

Possibly some Russians who might come over are (but Russians don't normally choose this route though):

Vitally Anikeenko
Denis Istomin
I agree. Since it's far from set in stone that any of the Import Draftees will be willing to come over to the CHL. If you look at last year's draft, probably the biggest names in the import draft that came over were Marek Schwarz and Andrej Meszaros, who were taken by the Vancouver Giants, and Alex Radulov who was chosen by Quebec. Meszaros was the 16th pick, and Schwarz was 38th. Only Radulov was top 10 (9th), and the guys ahead of him don't necessarily reflect higher levles of talent or draft position:

1st) Zdenek Bahensky (3rd round NYR selection) - Saskatoon
2nd) Andrej Sekera (3rd round BUF selection) - Owen Sound
3rd) Artem Artemiev (can't find any record of him) - Acadie-Bathurst
4th) Roman Tomanek (4th round PHX selection) - Calgary
5th) Jakub Kindl (05 eligible) - Kitchener
6th) David Krjecy (can't find any record of him) - Gatineau
7th) Ladislav Scurko (6th round PHI selection) - Seattle
8th) Michael Birner (4th round STL selection) - Barrie
9th) Alex Radulov (1st round NSH selection) - Quebec
10th) Sami Sandell (05 eligible) - Brandon

So there you have it. Radulov is the only 1st rounder of the bunch, no others are higher than 3rd round NHL picks, including 2 05 draftees. And there are a pair of players that I can't find any record of. This is why the Import Draft is more about getting someone who wants to play than getting a highly talented player.
9th)

GBG BLEED BLUE

Jun 8, 2005
Saskatoon,Sask
www.whlfans.ca
WHL/Saskatoon Blades Import draft player possibilities?

I am sure that the WHL will see some good talent from the Import draft.The WHL is known to produce some very talented players,But I really wish the Saskatoon Blades would have a chance to get in on the action because the team is looking for a good D-man( I would think/hope) because in the next year we will loose our best defencemen(Mike Green Washington Capitals 1st Round Draft Pick in 2004. We do have have a good Euro forward in Zednek Bahensky(Draft Pick of the New York Rangers in 2003?) I am sure an Experienced former NHL Assistant coach in Lorne Molleken and (the team scouts) would have the inside scoop on the Players that are available and that would make the Saskatoon Blades a solid contender for the Memorial Cup in the near future. It is too bad that they do not select until later in the Import draft. I am sure that Lorne Molleken and the Director of Player Personnel Paul Oleksyzk will select players who they see are a good fit for the Saskatoon Blades.

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
The Nemesis said:
I agree. Since it's far from set in stone that any of the Import Draftees will be willing to come over to the CHL. If you look at last year's draft, probably the biggest names in the import draft that came over were Marek Schwarz and Andrej Meszaros, who were taken by the Vancouver Giants, and Alex Radulov who was chosen by Quebec. Meszaros was the 16th pick, and Schwarz was 38th. Only Radulov was top 10 (9th), and the guys ahead of him don't necessarily reflect higher levles of talent or draft position:

1st) Zdenek Bahensky (3rd round NYR selection) - Saskatoon
2nd) Andrej Sekera (3rd round BUF selection) - Owen Sound
3rd) Artem Artemiev (can't find any record of him) - Acadie-Bathurst
4th) Roman Tomanek (4th round PHX selection) - Calgary
5th) Jakub Kindl (05 eligible) - Kitchener
6th) David Krjecy (can't find any record of him) - Gatineau
7th) Ladislav Scurko (6th round PHI selection) - Seattle
8th) Michael Birner (4th round STL selection) - Barrie
9th) Alex Radulov (1st round NSH selection) - Quebec
10th) Sami Sandell (05 eligible) - Brandon

So there you have it. Radulov is the only 1st rounder of the bunch, no others are higher than 3rd round NHL picks, including 2 05 draftees. And there are a pair of players that I can't find any record of. This is why the Import Draft is more about getting someone who wants to play than getting a highly talented player.
9th)
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=78644

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Crosby=Gretzky said:
Thanks. I was looking at the import draft list from McKeens, and they spelled his last name with a "y" instead of an "i". I wonder if Artem Artemiev is out there somewhere with a spelling variation.

Still, the point stands that Import Draft defys prospect rankings, becuase it's more about finding a reasonably talented player that will make the jump than it is about finding the superstar prospects who are likley comfortable with thier current situations.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
littleD said:
2. St. John's - Nicklas Bergfors, RW, Sweden, 2005 eligible

Geez, great pick... if they knew he was coming. Still, I can't see it. Any Swedish watchers know if there is any chance he comes over?

I'm guessing it's between slim and none, but wouldn't mind being surprised.

Last edited:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
sveiglar said:
Geez, great pick... if they they knew he was coming. Still, I can't see it. Any Swedish watchers know if there is any chance he comes over?

I think he would be an awesome CHL player. It makes sense that they wouldn't take him 2nd overall unless they knew he was coming over, but Bergfors is good enough to play in the SEL next year, so why would he come here? Interesting situation.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Seachd said:
I think he would be an awesome CHL player. It makes sense that they wouldn't take him 2nd overall unless they knew he was coming over, but Bergfors is good enough to play in the SEL next year, so why would he come here? Interesting situation.

That's my thought. What I've read has him making the senior team and maybe playing with Kopitar. I'd think he'd need an awful lot of convincing to give that up to play for a team that won't be good at all.

Still, if the Dobbin's did their homework and actually have him coming, I'll be dancing all the way to Mile One.

pwil

Oct 9, 2004
I am assuming that this draft goes on for two days since they have it listed that the last pick will be made at 6:55.Am I correct?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
pwil said:
I am assuming that this draft goes on for two days since they have it listed that the last pick will be made at 6:55.Am I correct?

I think many teams start passing on their picks and the first ends earlier than 6:55, I'm not entirely sure though. It may be in the second round when they do that.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
sveiglar said:
Geez, great pick... if they knew he was coming. Still, I can't see it. Any Swedish watchers know if there is any chance he comes over?

I sure hope he sticks with Södertälje SK, unless he falters it seems IMO that he has a spot on the 1st or 2nd line.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
pwil said:
No. They have it listed as 6:55 pm. And the second round goes pretty quick.

dangle

Oct 19, 2004
littleD said:
4. Sarnia - Tomas Pospisil, RW, Czech Republic, 2005 eligible

Are the players selected usually a lock, or would Prospisil more likely stay with the Trinec Senior team? Thanks

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
sveiglar said:

I'm guessing it's between slim and none that he stays in Sweden, I would frankly be very surprised if he didn´t leave. He is a great talent but he would still be playing on the 4th line in Södertälje, regardless of what Bonde 007 says... ;)

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
sveiglar said:

I am 90% sure he will move over. He expressed that he was considering playing in North America next season.. a few weeks back... and I think he will. Can't think of the last time a Swedish player was drafted in the CHL import draft and did not move over the pond.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It will be good for him to come over and get used to a more physical style of play. I can see him tearing up the Q.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Joe Hallenback said:
It will be good for him to come over and get used to a more physical style of play. I can see him tearing up the Q.

Make no mistake about it, it will take Bergfors 1 shift to get used to the physical play. He is as hardnosed as a world class talented player could get. I really believe he will dominate as well. Also, I don't think the teams lack of talent will affect him as he has great character and will become the cornerstone very quickly.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
littleD said:
Ottawa 67s traded Jakub Petruzalek to Barrie Colts for the 43rd pick in today's import draft.

They previously had a deal with Oshawa, with the Gens getting Petruzalek and Ottawa getting the 34th pick, but it fell through.

Thats interesting, now the Rangers will get a better look on Little and Martine for next years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->