CHL Import Draft Order for OHL (JUNE 28)

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
No you can't trade them. But I'm pretty sure he meant trading of prior years picks, which you're allowed to do. Ruzicka/Lipanov would be the 2 most likely to be moved in my opinion

Exactly what I'm bringing up otherwise known as the London rule this also is used by a few CHL teams over the years but it's not very commonly used.

This rule was first used involving Zadrov with the London Knights as he was a 1st round NHL entry draft selection of the Sabers and the Knights were awarded another 1st round import selection as they believed he was going straight into the NHL and wouldn't report to the Knights he later did report and the Knights released three 3rd import Tim Bender.

Beyond that pick swapping is common in the import draft but doesn't guarantee you'll get the kid that you think each team will pick.

I stand by my belief that the import draft is more like hitting a target blindly in the dark and until you see the kid in camp you can't go off rumors that the pick will report to any club

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I stand by my belief that the import draft is more like hitting a target blindly in the dark and until you see the kid in camp you can't go off rumors that the pick will report to any club

I don't think that's true at all. From what I understand, it's all about pre-arranged agreements through clubs (both CHL and abroad), agents, sometimes NHL teams and players.

I mean for some teams maybe this is true, but I think for the higher profile teams and players, it's all known ahead of time.

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I don't think that's true at all. From what I understand, it's all about pre-arranged agreements through clubs (both CHL and abroad), agents, sometimes NHL teams and players.

I mean for some teams maybe this is true, but I think for the higher profile teams and players, it's all known ahead of time.

Yeah it's definitely pre-arranged for the most part. Barrie knew Svechnikov was coming 100% for instance. The top end guys and their agent are very open with teams on who they'll come/wont come to. The Gens knew last year if they took Nico Gross they'd have to pay his pro team, but if they did that then he'd come

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Exactly what I'm bringing up otherwise known as the London rule this also is used by a few CHL teams over the years but it's not very commonly used.

This rule was first used involving Zadrov with the London Knights as he was a 1st round NHL entry draft selection of the Sabers and the Knights were awarded another 1st round import selection as they believed he was going straight into the NHL and wouldn't report to the Knights he later did report and the Knights released three 3rd import Tim Bender.

Beyond that pick swapping is common in the import draft but doesn't guarantee you'll get the kid that you think each team will pick.

Once again you refer to this as the London rule, but your example makes no sense. Zadorov was drafted by the Knights in 2012, Bender the year after in 2013. There was never any doubt Zadorov was coming to London, and he was drafted into the NHL as a Knight. Bender and Zadorov played together on the 2013-14 Knights.
The Knights were able to select Rasner and Bender since both of their imports were 1st round picks (Maatta and Zadorov), but the rule was in place before that.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
Ottawa picks a Euro goalie (who is AT LEAST 6'2") at 18. I just hope he's not the 18th goalie picked!

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Once again you refer to this as the London rule, but your example makes no sense. Zadorov was drafted by the Knights in 2012, Bender the year after in 2013. There was never any doubt Zadorov was coming to London, and he was drafted into the NHL as a Knight. Bender and Zadorov played together on the 2013-14 Knights.
The Knights were able to select Rasner and Bender since both of their imports were 1st round picks (Maatta and Zadorov), but the rule was in place before that.

That rule was put in place the year after Gabriel Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall in the 2011 NHL Draft. Kitchener had to release him in order to draft Radek Faska in the 2011 CHL Import Draft. The CHL implemented a new rule the following season that if an import player is drafted in the 1st rd of the NHL draft, the CHL team can still keep that player protected on their roster and still be able to have 2 other import players protected on their rosters.

Reactions: BenchedGuy

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
They're eligible. Any European born 1999-2001 is eligible. Can't draft an OA ('98) and can't draft a true rookie ('02)

Thanks. I'd have to think all on that list will be coveted, depending on who drafts them, or if they get drafted, or if they have domestic commitments. No doubt NHL GMs, agents, and CHL GMs will have arrangements in place before the import draft.

Last edited:

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
3- SBY
6- FLT
9- PBO
12- ER
15- SAG
18- OTT (We expect will be picking a Goalie)

What positions will the top five teams be looking for?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
They're eligible. Any European born 1999-2001 is eligible. Can't draft an OA ('98) and can't draft a true rookie ('02)
I'm not against it, and it was bound to happen some season, but I wish the league had given teams a 1-2-3 year heads up on the rule change. This could really stand to save some teams who mismanaged their goalie situation heading into this year and.... I don't wanna say hurt, but it kind of lessens the benefits of those teams that stocked their organization with goaltending depth. I know, that's a little bit dramatic and I am a bit biased considering I think my team has really solid young goalie talent right now. It's definetly gonna make things interesting and change some team's plans a lot.

Reactions: Tarantula

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
3- SBY
6- FLT
9- PBO
12- ER
15- SAG
18- OTT (We expect will be picking a Goalie)

What positions will the top five teams be looking for?
Erie could go in any direction. We've had luck in the past with Euro goalies. A high end Dman could give Erie an interesting top 4 with Drysdale, Duff and Martin. Could always use another scorer. I hope that narrows it down for you. :)

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'm not against it, and it was bound to happen some season, but I wish the league had given teams a 1-2-3 year heads up on the rule change. This could really stand to save some teams who mismanaged their goalie situation heading into this year and.... I don't wanna say hurt, but it kind of lessens the benefits of those teams that stocked their organization with goaltending depth. I know, that's a little bit dramatic and I am a bit biased considering I think my team has really solid young goalie talent right now. It's definetly gonna make things interesting and change some team's plans a lot.

Agree 100%. The Gens have done a great job in getting goalie depth and having a veteran elite goalie right in their window to win. And Ottawa for instance has done a terrible job and it would’ve cost them several high picks to land that good goalie. But now they can get him for free. That’s a huge difference maker

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie could go in any direction. We've had luck in the past with Euro goalies. A high end Dman could give Erie an interesting top 4 with Drysdale, Duff and Martin. Could always use another scorer. I hope that narrows it down for you. :)
Can’t see Erie going goalie. Though you are right, they have success there - Janus, Sadikov, Dansk.
But Murphy has some potential.

On defense Erie has 6 guys returning plus Drysdale and Kischnick
All could be back in 2019-20 too, if erie wants. So too many bodies and most with good upside.
90% certain Erie goes forward. Goalie would be next guess

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
CHL Import Draft is on June 28th at 11am.

With lots of Europeans getting drafted, I have no idea who any teams are gonna pick.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Yeah it's definitely pre-arranged for the most part. Barrie knew Svechnikov was coming 100% for instance. The top end guys and their agent are very open with teams on who they'll come/wont come to. The Gens knew last year if they took Nico Gross they'd have to pay his pro team, but if they did that then he'd come
Yup totally true and the better the player the more money teams need to pony up which is where the London’s hit the “homeruns” in euro draft haha nothing to do with scouting all about connections and most important how much they can pay for top euro players to their home clubs...too bad but that’s the setup

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
I would be very surprised if Ottawa does not go for a goalie. There is a slight chance they go for a high end center who will report but they better have a back up plan to get a goalie, its our glaring need.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I would be very surprised if Ottawa does not go for a goalie. There is a slight chance they go for a high end center who will report but they better have a back up plan to get a goalie, its our glaring need.

I don't know other Euro goalies but i thought Finnish goalies Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen and Justus Annunen could get drafted of course that depends a lot what drafting team needs.

Luukkonen and Annunen are both U18 WJC gold medalists and they are drafted to NHL.
But both those guys are signed by their SM liiga teams so it's not sure does those two come over if they get drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad