OT: Chistov = The Fish?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Interesting to know that Chistov's alcohol problem probably held back his NHL career. Too bad he didn't establish himself before this.... he could have been another Marchand based on his skillset and fiesty play... or at least got paid like Mike Richards before he started to infect his team with the white pony.

Should probably read the whole thread.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
There's no evidence of Chistov ever having an alcohol "problem", it was a rumor that got rekindled after the King's book was published and most were led to believe that Chistov = Fish. What Chistov did get known for throughout his career is an extremely introverted personality - always keeping to himself, not interacting with teammates, not speaking to press etc. Not the best personality trait in the team sport like hockey.

That said, in Russia Chistov is still considered one of top NHL-busts - alongside the likes of Zherdev, Filatov - guys who possessed enough skill and talent to become NHL stars, but haven't managed it primarily due to the lack of effort and work ethics. On the other hand, Chistov still enjoyed a solid career at the top professional level in Russia - that's when you compare him to the likes of Balmochnykh and Smirnov
Sad how both expansion franchises the Ducks & Blue Jackets did terrible with drafting Russians. Chistov/Smirnov & Zherdev/Filatov.

Btw that sounds like Chistov has Asperger syndrome - a high functioning form of Autism & so far no Athlete in any of the major sports has come out as having it but several famous actors & musicians have. In theory there is probably a few eccentric athletes who have it, in MLB the Royals drafted a player with it & they are also the same team that drafted Zach Greinke who has social anxiety disorder which might be a cover for him actually having Aspergers. If someone like Courtney Love & Dan Aykroyd have Aspergers than its certainly possible there has been a few athletes that have had it. Comfort zone might be why Chistov does better in Russia.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sad how both expansion franchises the Ducks & Blue Jackets did terrible with drafting Russians. Chistov/Smirnov & Zherdev/Filatov.

Btw that sounds like Chistov has Asperger syndrome - a high functioning form of Autism & so far no Athlete in any of the major sports has come out as having it but several famous actors & musicians have. In theory there is probably a few eccentric athletes who have it, in MLB the Royals drafted a player with it & they are also the same team that drafted Zach Greinke who has social anxiety disorder which might be a cover for him actually having Aspergers. If someone like Courtney Love & Dan Aykroyd have Aspergers than its certainly possible there has been a few athletes that have had it. Comfort zone might be why Chistov does better in Russia.

Sometimes I swear you're making a point of being cringey. You definitely do not need to analyze Stan Chistov's mental health for us.

Alexblaster

Apr 15, 2019

The truth of the matter is that over the last decade Ducks have solidified their reputation as the least Russian-friendly franchise in the league. That alone doesn't make them a worse (or a better) team, it's just a fact.

Not sure if that's a direct consequence of wasting back to back first round picks on Smirnov and Chistov, but since 2001 Ducks have picked only one Russian (Bobkov) - that's 1 pick out of over 100! They picked no Russians over last 10 years and had none actually playing for the team over that time (was Artyukhin the last?).

Speaking of Bobkov, it's too bad that this kid never got a proper chance with the Ducks... He's totally rocking this year in KHL - he's already took his team (Omsk) into the final series vs CSKA, showing 1.8 GAA and 0.93 pct in 17 p/o games along the way.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the ducks have had no luck with russians

smirnov and chistov were massive busts. after those two, how many russians have played for the team since the 05 lockout? fedorov, bryzgalov, kondratiev, and artyukhin are the only ones if i'm not mistaken. is there any other NHL team that has iced so few russians since the 05 lockout?

i wouldn't say that's a result of smirnov and chistov being huge busts. pretty sure mcnab is the only person still working in the FO who was around during that time

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Chistov and Smirnov, all talent in the world but not a pro mindset. Smirnov could have been special too.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
pretty funny that after I talked about Chistov very lightly the other day in another’s thread, this thread pops up! (This will be a long read)

When I was younger, my uncle was the only one in my family that subscribed to TheHockeyNews magazines, where nobody else was able to get it. I remember being a big fan of the Ducks, and writers back then were hyping Chistov as the next Kariya. I believe Smirnov was a big power-forward type but his career never took off..

I’ve always kept an eye on Chistov from afar. On paper, sure, he is a bust by many standards. Over in Russia though he did have a good career (along with Kuznetsev in Traktor back in 2011-2014). Too bad it never worked out.

Anyone else have anymore tidbits about Chistov? I’ve never read the book, but now this is making me want to pick up a copy..

Alexblaster

Apr 15, 2019
Smirnov, from what I remember, was a supposedly a power forward who had a mean streak (like Svitov), but he never really got going here.

Smirnov claims that Mike Babcock told him once that there were only two really talented players on his team: Fedorov and Smirnov...

After returning from US to Russia Smirnov spent most of his career in local minor leagues. He retired at 33 and started coaching very young kids in his hometown in Tver region. Here's a cute video of Smirnov with a bunch of 4 y.o. players (in Russian)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Smirnov claims that Mike Babcock told him once that there were only two really talented players on his team: Fedorov and Smirnov...

After returning from US to Russia Smirnov spent most of his career in local minor leagues. He retired at 33 and started coaching very young kids in his hometown in Tver region. Here's a cute video of Smirnov with a bunch of 4 y.o. players (in Russian)

That's a very early Babcock thing to say. He also said that Chistov was going to be a star and that it was his (Babcock's) fault if he didn't turn out that way.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i forgot chistov played one game for the 06-07 ducks before being shipped to boston

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
I found this old thread via google. I think people often forget the real problems Chistov had with his NHL career. I mean he couldn't play for a year in 2001-2002 because there was something strange going on in Omsk. I think Chistov wanted to go over after he was drafted high and the folks in Russia tried to punish him cause of that. Well, then he defected in the summer of 2002 and got away from his military service.
The 2002-2003 season was just great one for Chistov. Playing in the third line with 10 minutes per game, he had a great rookie season with a great finish for the season as he shone in the playoffs when the Ducks made their way to the Stanley Cup finals. At times he showed flashes of brilliance.
The sophomore season was a more difficult one for him. He struggled in goal scoring, scoring only two in 56 games and was sent to the AHL. Those difficulties could have had something to do with the lengthy rookie season, something that he wasn't used to at that point, but the truth is also that he did not possess a high end shot and his goals were often that he dangled around the goalie wich is a quite a hard way to score.
He had a decent lockout year in the strong AHL and went to Russia for one season after that to get some more jump before going back to the NHL. During the 2006 summer training he got injured and basically needed a surgery at that point. The injury spoiled his summer training, but he went over and back to Anaheim despite that. He came to the Anaheim training camp injured and could only make the lineup cause of his oneway contract. Then he was traded to the Bruins and spent the 06-07 season in the Bruins fourth line with some five minutes ice time per game.
After the 06-07 he took the needed surgery and spent the next season mostly recovering from the surgery... Then had a decent career in the KHL.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Great post @Ihmeilja ! Believe it or not, one of the players I have a soft spot for is Chistov (hence my username). I remember an old edition of TheHockeyNews once dubbed Chistov as the next Paul Kariya, and my expectations grew from there. I'll try to break down your points:

I mean he couldn't play for a year in 2001-2002 because there was something strange going on in Omsk. I think Chistov wanted to go over after he was drafted high and the folks in Russia tried to punish him cause of that. Well, then he defected in the summer of 2002 and got away from his military service.

I think it was well-known that teenagers at that time had to do mandatory military service. I believe Frolov had that same issue? Here was his quote from the LATimes article 'A Year In, Year Out'

“It has been a very difficult year,” Chistov said. “I always knew I did nothing wrong. I did everything by the book. But there was a lot of uncertainty, a lot of mental stress, the past year. I just wanted to play.
“The whole army thing, the only thing I want to say is it’s behind me. The only thing I am confident about is I have completed my service to my country. I am free and clear to play in America at last.”

The 2002-2003 season was just great one for Chistov. Playing in the third line with 10 minutes per game, he had a great rookie season with a great finish for the season as he shone in the playoffs when the Ducks made their way to the Stanley Cup finals. At times he showed flashes of brilliance.
The sophomore season was a more difficult one for him. He struggled in goal scoring, scoring only two in 56 games and was sent to the AHL. Those difficulties could have had something to do with the lengthy rookie season, something that he wasn't used to at that point, but the truth is also that he did not possess a high end shot and his goals were often that he dangled around the goalie wich is a quite a hard way to score.

IIRC, the 2003/4 season was marked by him being demoted/recalled. He had played the whole year with the Ducks in 03, but couldn't gain that form and chemistry that he had before. I also remember something about his work habit was not like his rookie year which lead to the demotion.

He had a decent lockout year in the strong AHL and went to Russia for one season after that to get some more jump before going back to the NHL. During the 2006 summer training he got injured and basically needed a surgery at that point. The injury spoiled his summer training, but he went over and back to Anaheim despite that. He came to the Anaheim training camp injured and could only make the lineup cause of his oneway contract. Then he was traded to the Bruins and spent the 06-07 season in the Bruins fourth line with some five minutes ice time per game.
After the 06-07 he took the needed surgery and spent the next season mostly recovering from the surgery... Then had a decent career in the KHL.

Burke was interviewed on different occasions saying that he was still interested in Chistov being a main piece moving forward when he was newly appointed as GM. I'm not sure what happened between the summer and the start of the season, but he was shipped off quickly for a diminutive return. He developed a great line chemistry with Evgeni Kuznetsov while in Traktor and rounded out his game there. It's a shame we never got to see the true potential in Chistov.

As an aside, anybody have a Chistov jersey they are willing to sell? Maybe it's just due to my nostaglia for liking a player so much.

Reactions: Ihmeilja

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Glad this was bumped, I have to do a couple book reports for a coaching course I'm doing, going to try and find a copy of King's book. The first one I read was "The Talent Code", it's a pretty interesting study into the creation and formation of elite talent.

Sounds really interesting. I have a weird obsession with stuff like this. Little things like eyesight in baseball, dorsiflexion in football and basketball, upbringing that led to certain advantages, etc.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Nice, a 2009 thread. Is Kevin Forbes still around?

I can confirm that, especially with the Ducks being starved for goal scoring, Chistov was talked about during 2001-2002 as The Russian Paul Kariya.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Sounds really interesting. I have a weird obsession with stuff like this. Little things like eyesight in baseball, dorsiflexion in football and basketball, upbringing that led to certain advantages, etc.

Highly recommended read. They examine academies in few different sports/fields that have managed to become noted for developing elite talent, and how their methods relate to the biological process of learning a skill.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i remember thinking chistov would have a breakout year in 03-04 after his pretty good rookie season. then he ended up scoring 2 goals in 56 games and getting demoted

can't recall who his linemates were that season, but i think he tried playing more of a physical game which obviously didn't suit a guy with his size and speed. i'm surprised he didn't find success in the "new" NHL with his speed and style of play

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Highly recommended read. They examine academies in few different sports/fields that have managed to become noted for developing elite talent, and how their methods relate to the biological process of learning a skill.
I'm already quite a bit into it and really like it

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
i remember thinking chistov would have a breakout year in 03-04 after his pretty good rookie season. then he ended up scoring 2 goals in 56 games and getting demoted

can't recall who his linemates were that season, but i think he tried playing more of a physical game which obviously didn't suit a guy with his size and speed. i'm surprised he didn't find success in the "new" NHL with his speed and style of play

He really wasn't given a chance, he was shipped off right away. He found some success in Boston, I think he was even on PP time over there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad