OT: The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Alright local OTers I need some suggestions.

Next Friday is my 17th anniversary. Me and the Mrs want to try someplace different this year vs the usual Russell's, Salvatore's, or Black and Blue that we usually do for our anniversary and I'm looking for suggestions.

Our (see mine) basic criteria is:
  • Takes reservations, since it'll be Saturday night when we go out and I'd prefer not to risk a long wait or having to change restaurants
  • Won't totally break the bank. I don't mind spending more than a typical dinner out but don't want to drop $200 on dinner either.
  • Somewhere on the water or with a good view (not 100% necessary but just a hope on my end.)
And go...

Thanks in advance OT
The Liberty Hound is a great place to have a drink right on the inner harbor. The food is “fancy” but relatively affordable. And by fancy, I mean uncommon ingredients and combinations. Something you might not normally come across. I didn’t think the food was that good, but could have been a bad night for the chef. I would assume no reservations, but grabbing a drink on the deck will make you forget how long it took to get a seat (if there is a wait).

Mulberry’s is not for the view, it’s in Lackawanna, but the food at this Italian Style restaurant gets rave reviews. I haven’t had the pleasure, but everyone loves this place. I’m in sales and we go out to eat a lot, and in my industry Mulberry’s is a favorite.

I don’t know much about it, but a coworker was recently talking about Lucia’s on the Lake. I think someone in our industry owns it. I understand it to be an upscale eatery with a view. You will need more input though.

My brother just started working at the 31 Club. I believe he is the GM like he has been at recent stops. Italian fine dining with reservations and downtown atmosphere but does not include a stellar view. However, maybe I can ask him to do something special for you guys.

Sorry I couldn’t offer more experience at these places, but my customers (and my wife for that matter), typically frequent the more casual fun places instead like Gene McCarthy’s, Coyote Cafe, Dos Amigos and Riverworks. Mahoney’s is nice and has a lot of energy and good food but maybe not very intimate.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As someone who read "Things Fall Apart" in college I got a kick out of the thread title. Wonder how many other people got the reference?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Hi chums: Spectator sports make people unhappy, apparently.

I guess we all need to get enlightened.
from the article:

“Fans systematically over-estimate the probability of their team winning and never revise and learn from experience,” they write. “Many football fans may continue to go to matches – always in hope and expectation that this particular match will go their way.”
Were it an American study instead of a British/English one, the above comment might have been called the "Buffalo Bills effect".

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Greetings! I have arrived early in the 716 after my mountain-top adventures. Upsides - I'm sane! I'm recovering from the whomp to my head, a little bit every day. As of this morning, I'm down 26 lbs. since May, which is the quarter pole for where I am heading. I know that it is likely the losses will slow down as I shed the easy weight first, but I'm thrilled with the progress so far. Existentially, I'm dealing from a good place right now.

How's everyone else doing?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm here until the morning of August 6th. That's when we trek back to North Florida. Are you in town?
I'm laughing. Family reunion in PA Alleghenies on Sat. the 4th, with business in WNY before and after. Haven't figured out exact arrival details yet. When I do, I'll let you know. I have return arrangements after you leave. I really want to get a couple days vacation in WNY out of the trip, and not limit the downtime to the weekend only.

If I'm still in PA when you're driving on the 6th, and you're using Rt. 219, (instead of I90-I79-I77) you'll literally pass within 0-3 miles of me, depending on whether I'm in the woods at the family camp, or in town at one of my myriad relatives.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm laughing. Family reunion in PA Alleghenies on Sat. the 4th, with business in WNY before and after. Haven't figured out exact arrival details yet. When I do, I'll let you know. I have return arrangements after you leave. I really want to get a couple days vacation in WNY out of the trip, and not limit the downtime to the weekend only.

If I'm still in PA when you're driving on the 6th, and you're using Rt. 219, (instead of I90-I79-I77) you'll literally pass within 0-3 miles of me, depending on whether I'm in the woods at the family camp, or in town at one of my myriad relatives.

Honestly, we were planning on stopping at the zoar valley overlook on the way out of town.

In other news, checking out riverworks and meeting joshjull for a beverage in a few.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Thanks for the suggestions. After looking at them all, along with a few other places and then showing them to her, we decided on Water Street Landing.

Next weekend should be a good time. We have a picnic to attend on Saturday during the day and then doing our anniversary dinner that evening. Sunday we're doing the Buffalo Garden Walk during the day and Shakespeare in the Park in the evening.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I’ll be in 716 on 8-4 to move my Dad’s pool table to my uncles house. Dad’s been gone for over 4 months already. Absolutely crazy. I still have the thought sometimes that I should give him a call.​

Reactions: Graves and slip

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I’ll be in 716 on 8-4 to move my Dad’s pool table to my uncles house. Dad’s been gone for over 4 months already. Absolutely crazy. I still have the thought sometimes that I should give him a call.​
my mom died 2 years ago this month. I still have it pop in my head to call her. And we only talked a couple times every 2-3 weeks... it will take time for the instinct to pass

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Applying for jobs is stressful/annoying but necessary.

Especially when after applying you have to fill out a 220 question assessment and do another section of critical thinking math.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If you like to grill, I would highly suggest getting a wood pellet grill to cook on.

Cooking on my new grill is pretty easy and the taste is so awesome.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Working in Irvine, CA for the week. What an absolutely beautiful city. Crazy interesting background / story to the city as well.
30 minutes from Huntington & Newport beaches doesn't hurt either. I think I can handle the company sending me out here a few times during the year.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Well, my wife is stuck in Chicago for a while on her trip to Cali....

If she's stuck in O'Hare and doesn't mind going through security, the blueline will her to downtown or Logan Square.

If she gets off on California Stop, there's Revolution Brewery right there.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Greetings! I have arrived early in the 716 after my mountain-top adventures. Upsides - I'm sane! I'm recovering from the whomp to my head, a little bit every day. As of this morning, I'm down 26 lbs. since May, which is the quarter pole for where I am heading. I know that it is likely the losses will slow down as I shed the easy weight first, but I'm thrilled with the progress so far. Existentially, I'm dealing from a good place right now.

How's everyone else doing?

congrats on the weight loss. quarter pole? your goal was to lose 100 lbs?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If she's stuck in O'Hare and doesn't mind going through security, the blueline will her to downtown or Logan Square.

If she gets off on California Stop, there's Revolution Brewery right there.

It was like a three hour delay. She had a friend there with her, so they just had a few drinks and complained about the delay.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Called the limo company just now that's handling my wedding with a simple question about cooler size...how many beverages and food for the wedding party it can hold etc...turns out they never heard of me and lost my deposit even though I have a picture of the check I wrote, confirmation number etc...good thing I called but good god planning a wedding is a fulltime job. Can't wait for it to be over and done with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad