Chinese Super League

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
The Chinese league has over the past year signed the following players...

Alex Teixeira, Martinez, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Ramires, Papiss Cisse, Gervinho, Asamoah Gyan, Pelle and Hulk!!!

TOP 5 BEST PAID PLAYERS

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) - £18m per year

2. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - £17m per year

3. Hulk (Shanghai SIPG) - £17m per year

4. Neymar (Barcelona) - £16.2m per year

5. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Manchester United) - £13.6m per year

=5. Graziano Pelle (Shandong Luneng) - £13.6m per year

TRANSFER RECORDS

1. Teixeira Alex Teixeira
Attacking Midfield
26 15/16 Brazil
Jiangsu Suning JS Suning
China Super League
£42.50m

Jackson Martínez Jackson Martínez
Centre Forward
29 15/16 Colombia
Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao GZ Evergrande
China Super League
£35.70m
Ramires Ramires
Central Midfield
28 15/16 Brazil
Jiangsu Suning JS Suning
China Super League
£23.80m
Elkeson Elkeson
Centre Forward
26 15/16 Brazil
Shanghai SIPG SIPG
China Super League
£15.73m
Gervinho Gervinho
Left Wing
28 15/16 Cote d'Ivoire
Hebei China Fortune HB CFFC
China Super League
£15.30m
Ricardo Goulart Ricardo Goulart
Secondary Striker
23 14/15 Brazil
China Super League
£12.75m
Paulinho Paulinho
Central Midfield
26 15/16 Brazil
China Super League
£11.90m
Demba Ba Demba Ba
Centre Forward
30 15/16 Senegal
France
Shanghai Greenland Shenhua SH Shenhua
China Super League
£11.05m
Fredy Guarín Fredy Guarín
Central Midfield
29 15/16 Colombia
China Super League
£11.05m
Alan Alan
Left Wing
25 14/15 Brazil
China Super League
£9.44m
Yangyang Jin Yangyang Jin
Centre Back
23 15/16 China
Hebei China Fortune HB CFFC
China Super League
£9.20m
Jinhao Bi Jinhao Bi
Centre Back
25 15/16 China
China Super League
£8.48m
Lu Zhang Lu Zhang
Keeper
28 15/16 China
Tianjin Quanjian TJ Quanjian
China League One
£8.33m
Ke Sun Ke Sun
Right Wing
26 15/16 China
Tianjin Quanjian TJ Quanjian
China League One
£7.82m
Asamoah Gyan Asamoah Gyan
Centre Forward
29 15/16 Ghana
Shanghai SIPG SIPG
China Super League
£7.65m
Gil Gil
Centre Back
28 15/16 Brazil
Shandong Luneng Taishan SD Luneng
China Super League
£7.23m
Lucas Barrios Lucas Barrios
Centre Forward
27 12/13 Paraguay
Argentina
China Super League
£7.23m
Darío Conca Darío Conca
Attacking Midfield
28 11/12 Argentina
China Super League
£6.97m
Burak Yilmaz Burak Yilmaz
Centre Forward
30 15/16 Turkey
Beijing Guoan BJ Guoan
China Super League
£6.80m
Renato Augusto Renato Augusto
Central Midfield
27 15/16

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
As an MLS fan, I wish our league signed some of those names, but that money is way out of our league at the moment.

As a MLS fan, you want our league to continue slowly, but steadily, growing and putting emphasis on the development of domestic players. The Chinese model is crap and not sustainable. However, they don't care if they bleed money, MLS teams do.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
It's actually funny how stupid Chinese is becoming... (not to bring politics). But they are basically paying tons of money for borderline top players and out bidding themselves in most cases.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
As a MLS fan, you want our league to continue slowly, but steadily, growing and putting emphasis on the development of domestic players. The Chinese model is crap and not sustainable. However, they don't care if they bleed money, MLS teams do.

The Chinese clubs bring in insane amounts of money. The big clubs all have massive stadiums and make a fortune in advertising.

Is the model profitable today?? No, but it may be soon. The Chinese model is extremely similar to MLS, just with way more money being thrown around.

I still think that the best way for countries like China and the United States to compete internationally is to follow the J league model, but nobody is listening.

The biggest problem with the CSL is that Chinese players are horrible (much worse than MLS players) and I don't really think that the European imports will really enjoy their time playing against players that would probably be in the third division in Europe.

The best way for the CSL to increase competitiveness is to open their league to more Asian imports, as bringing in more Japanese/Korean players would increase the level of competition.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

Oh come on, look at some of the players they have. Yes, the transfer fees are stupid but I would love to have any of these players in MLS:

Alex Teixeira
Martinez
Ezequiel Lavezzi
Ramires
Gervinho
Asamoah Gyan
Pelle
Hulk
Paulinho
Demba Ba
Gaurin

Most of them still in their prime! I love the signings of Giovinco and Gio Dos Santos for MLS. Well, these are along the same lines and even bigger.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Oh come on, look at some of the players they have. Yes, the transfer fees are stupid but I would love to have any of these players in MLS:

Alex Teixeira
Martinez
Ezequiel Lavezzi
Ramires
Gervinho
Asamoah Gyan
Pelle
Hulk
Paulinho
Demba Ba
Gaurin

Most of them still in their prime! I love the signings of Giovinco and Gio Dos Santos for MLS. Well, these are along the same lines and even bigger.

So, basically, you don't want MLS to be sustainable. All of these guys would raise the level of play and help American/Canadian talent to progress (given that there is still a limit on international talent), but overpaying for them would kill the league as all of them are unkowns to the average population. That is why MLS teams overpay for older more recognizable names and not for 28 years olds in their prime.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
So, basically, you don't want MLS to be sustainable. All of these guys would raise the level of play and help American/Canadian talent to progress (given that there is still a limit on international talent), but overpaying for them would kill the league as all of them are unkowns to the average population. That is why MLS teams overpay for older more recognizable names and not for 28 years olds in their prime.

No, you are right. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
The best way for the CSL to increase competitiveness is to open their league to more Asian imports, as bringing in more Japanese/Korean players would increase the level of competition.

there are obvious political implications to this. Specially for the Japanese.

Plus, why would a Japanese player want to play in China? It's pretty much the same for any other European/South American player, other than for money it's not enticing. Same for a S.Korean. Jleague is probably the best league in Asia. I went to a game FC Tokyo vs Urawa Reds back in October and had a blast. The level of play can't compare to Europe, but was very entertaining 3-4 game.

On that same token, for the Chinese, they rather spend big bucks on European/African/South American players than Japanese or South Koreans that's for sure.

Anyways, I read that their true model is actually what they always do and has given them success in every other sports they take on. Which is basically put the kids through sports schools since they're very young and its basically a factory. They already started doing this with soccer. They have soccer specific schools where the kids start in elementary. So it's obviously going to take time, but they are already set on it. Won't be surprised if in our life times we see China become at least an Asian powerhouse.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If I were China and I had their money I would have gone for quantity over over inflated players. Something like all the top young Brazilians, Croatians, Portuguese and Africans players.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
The Chinese clubs bring in insane amounts of money. The big clubs all have massive stadiums and make a fortune in advertising.

Is the model profitable today?? No, but it may be soon. The Chinese model is extremely similar to MLS, just with way more money being thrown around.

I still think that the best way for countries like China and the United States to compete internationally is to follow the J league model, but nobody is listening.

The biggest problem with the CSL is that Chinese players are horrible (much worse than MLS players) and I don't really think that the European imports will really enjoy their time playing against players that would probably be in the third division in Europe.

Is it "making" that money though? I've heard lots of it, is Government infused money, to help prop up the league. I've also read part of the reason why these players cost so much, is each team is limited to 2-3 "imports" so they blow their whole payroll on a few players to make up for the weakness of the rest of the team (similar to MLS but taken to the next level).

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
If I were China and I had their money I would have gone for quantity over over inflated players. Something like all the top young Brazilians, Croatians, Portuguese and Africans players.

The actual top talents have legitimate shots to make a fortune playing for the clubs they dream of, though, and know they're hurting their chances of ever making a big club when they're moving to a league like that in formative years. I guess they could try and maybe they'd get one out of 10 attempts with guys from Brazil/Africa, but then again, I don't think they are even going for quality, but pure name recognition.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

What is the J-League model (serious question)? I saw a J-League game the other day and as far as I could tell there were no foreigners on the field. My recollection was that back in the day (90s) they used to sign a lot of foreigners, but those days appear to be over if that impression was ever accurate.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Did they buy a thread on this board?

zlat.png

(Pictured: My reaction to your post, along with the Chinese Super League's top player in 2019)

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
What is the J-League model (serious question)? I saw a J-League game the other day and as far as I could tell there were no foreigners on the field. My recollection was that back in the day (90s) they used to sign a lot of foreigners, but those days appear to be over if that impression was ever accurate.

J league games have foreigners, typically Brazilians and Koreans. I think they can have up to six.

I would personally identify the J league model in three ways.

First, it is the 100 year plan. The stated goal of the J league is to win a world Cup for Japan by 2092. No kidding. It may sound a bit excessive to some of you, but a long term approach is best. The goal of Japanese football isn't to dominate TV or marketing right now, it's to build the best clubs, players, and fan relationships today so that it can dominate the Japanese market and have a world power national team in thirty or forty years.

Secondly the J league probably has the best club /supporter relationship of any league outside of Germany. The J league turned down a lot of big money corporate sponsors and decided to go with the community club model. Every professional team is expected to be not only be active in their community, but to primarily scout and draw players from their local city.

Lastly and perhaps most importantly the J league model is mainly focused on development. There aren't really any big money clubs in Japan and teams are extremely encouraged to build talent out of their pipeline. To a larger point the entire Japanese football system, including the University system is built to provide maximum technical development for players so that they can play in Europe. Unlike the MLS or CSL models that want to keep buying players and have the most challenging leagues, the Japanese model wants to send players to Europe and wants to continue focusing on making their players and system better from the grassroots up.

J league used to want to be a league that brought in big stars and could buy anybody, but their grassroots oriented style is working out much better for them. I believe Japan has improved their level of football more than any other nation over the last 25 years or so, and it happened because they focused on development, long term growth, and community engagement. A lot of other countries have missed the boat, IMO.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Is it "making" that money though? I've heard lots of it, is Government infused money, to help prop up the league. I've also read part of the reason why these players cost so much, is each team is limited to 2-3 "imports" so they blow their whole payroll on a few players to make up for the weakness of the rest of the team (similar to MLS but taken to the next level).

From what I understand the clubs do make a lot of money, obviously not enough to sustain their crazy spending, but a good amount. I think the thought is that teams will eventually be sustainable.

Csl is basically MLS on steroids. The average player is worse, the best players are better.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
They are stealing players from the swedish league aswell.

Tobias Hysén.
Erton Fejzullahu.
Sam Johnson.
Guillermo Molins.
Gustav Svensson.
Etc.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
From what I understand the clubs do make a lot of money, obviously not enough to sustain their crazy spending, but a good amount. I think the thought is that teams will eventually be sustainable.

Csl is basically MLS on steroids. The average player is worse, the best players are better.

CSL TV Rights=5 years/1.25 billion dollars.

That along with sugar daddy owners means clubs have money.

The government wants China to be a soccer power so you can bet we will see videos of 6 year olds training rigorously to be soccer players in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad