Chinese hockey?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Interesting article on San Jose's experience with promotion hockey in China.

10 years later, an oral history of the China Sharks: Culture shock on ice - TheHockeyNews

Man I knew things were rough talking with guys from the Worcester Sharks when I was preparing my panel on ice hockey in asia for Anime Boston, but this was pretty bad.

I have to wonder if the Sharks guys knew what they were doing when they allowed the Japanese women's team to practice in a Chinese arena? The rivalry between the two countries especially in sports can get very ugly. They did the right thing though.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
The Chinese have no interest in hockey whatsoever (the exceptions are inconsequential).

This is applicable to the Chinese in North America as well. I've met enough Chinese to realize the interest in hockey mostly extends to gambling (i.e. playing Pro-Line).

Any genuine interest in pro sports is mostly basketball and soccer.

You obviously don't have children. Or you're just ignorant.

Tonnes of Chinese Canadian hockey players.... they're just 6-10 yrs old, that's all. Above 14 yes of age, it thins out a bit (but my son is 8, so I don't know the older kids as well). Lots of very skilled Chinese--Canadian kids with wealthy parents willing to spend money on elite exyre training... trust me, there are going to be dozens of these kids in the future - maybe 10 years from now or more - who will play for china in the future.

Just like many of the lesser European nation's like Italy who once had over a dozen Italian- Canadian players plus the coach represent them... China will reap the benefits of the Canadian hockey program here.

And once China decides to invest real money into hockey...look out.

Just think of how quickly they became a figure skating power... it's not too far off from hockey.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You obviously don't have children. Or you're just ignorant.

Tonnes of Chinese Canadian hockey players.... they're just 6-10 yrs old, that's all. Above 14 yes of age, it thins out a bit (but my son is 8, so I don't know the older kids as well). Lots of very skilled Chinese--Canadian kids with wealthy parents willing to spend money on elite exyre training... trust me, there are going to be dozens of these kids in the future - maybe 10 years from now or more - who will play for china in the future.

Just like many of the lesser European nation's like Italy who once had over a dozen Italian- Canadian players plus the coach represent them... China will reap the benefits of the Canadian hockey program here.

And once China decides to invest real money into hockey...look out.

Just think of how quickly they became a figure skating power... it's not too far off from hockey.

Yes, Andong Song and Jett Woo are just the tip of a gargantuan iceberg.

Reactions: adamnowek

rschile

Jul 15, 2012
China's at a point now where they pretty much have everything but good athletes. Besides their gymnastics team. But ive heard their investing big time into sport development maybe to raise their countries athletic image. And in a country like that where the longest time the only child had to take care of their whole family risking an academic career for an athletic one would not be worth it

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I doubt China will produce much if any NHL worthy talent. Hockey isn't a relevant sport in their market and no one really bats an eye about it. Tbh, their only hope on an international level would be for Chinese Canadians in the NHL who couldn't make it onto team Canada to maybe represent China if they're somehow eligible to. Similar to how the majority of Israel's baseball team at the last WBC was mostly filled with American Jews who couldn't make the US national team.

Last edited:

singlesliceofcheese

May 9, 2018
I doubt China will produce much if any NHL worthy talent. Hockey isn't a relevant sport in their market and no one really bats an eye about it. Tbh, their only hope on an international level would be for Chinese Canadians in the NHL who couldn't make it onto team Canada to maybe represent China if they're somehow eligible to. Similar to how the majority of Israel's baseball team at the last WBC was mostly filled with American Jews who couldn't make the US national team.
That's sort of why the NHL is looking to make a presence. If the Chinese take a liking to the sport, then many would have the opportunity to establish their junior career through the Russian apparatus.

Reactions: slozo

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Hockey has one thing going for it in China - it is sufficiently expensive to play and thus helps to elevate the social status of yourself and of your children.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Hockey is becoming a more diversified sport though. Canadians make up less than 50% of the NHL now, and more and more ethnic minorities are playing in the league. I mean the fact that countries like Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland have been able to contend for medals in big tournaments over the past few years shows how much the game has grown.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Hockey is becoming a more diversified sport though. Canadians make up less than 50% of the NHL now, and more and more ethnic minorities are playing in the league. I mean the fact that countries like Slovakia, Germany and Switzerland have been able to contend for medals in big tournaments over the past few years shows how much the game has grown.

To be honest, I think quite the opposite. The Slovakians had a much better team say 15-20 years ago. The Czechs are facing similar times, although they have more players and most significantly, more good players. They also were better some years ago. The only team that I think has truly progressed is Switzerland - no surprise, they are a healthy country with a good domestic league. The Germans progressed, but how many good players are producing? Not so many, because they have a good team, rather than great players. Money means a lot in modern hockey, too much probably. I fear that the hockey's diversification will grow even thinner as the time passes by. Of course, I hope I am wrong.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Andong Song has 1 goal and 3 points total in 100 games of USHL lol.

...which is fairly meaningless minding he is a defensively responsible defenseman. Probably he will never make the NHL, most 6th rounders don't, but could become a fairly solid pro in some other league.

Reactions: adamnowek

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
...which is fairly meaningless minding he is a defensively responsible defenseman. Probably he will never make the NHL, most 6th rounders don't, but could become a fairly solid pro in some other league.

Or hes just not a good player and you can come to terms that it was a publicity pick? Even defensive minded players can randomly get points literally by touching the puck at some point and the sequence then leading to him getting in on a goal being scored. Its fairly amusing you think it was anything but a pick to attract Chinese fans.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He was a 6th round draft pick, no one ever expected him to be a blue-chip prospect. It's way too early to tell whether he will have a greater career than their 7th round pick (Petter Hansson) or not. Hansson currently plays in the Swedish second league. The 5th round pick (Ryan Pilon) already quit hockey so no matter what happens Song's not the worst Islanders pick of the draft.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
That article about the Sharks was fascinating thanks for sharing. Had no idea about that.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
That's sort of why the NHL is looking to make a presence. If the Chinese take a liking to the sport, then many would have the opportunity to establish their junior career through the Russian apparatus.
I’ve always wondered what would happen if there were more Canadian “ethnic minorities” in the NHL.

Would they be viewed similarly to the foreign Euros, for being “skilled but soft/dirty,” or like every other good ol’ Canadian boy?

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
How much of China *is* actually suitable for Hockey? (cue the jokes about having teams in Florida and Arizona)

I feel like the Chinese market has so much untapped potential with that billion population that it has. If they were to take a liking, the sport could spread rapidly.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad