Chinese hockey?

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Anyways, I don't see hockey ever getting big enough here to produce NHL players to be honest. Lack of interest. Lack of money (yes, there is a growing middle class but we are still talking about people making RMB not dollars - 1 dollar = 6.5rmb or so. After buying a stick and gloves on a middle-classish Chinese salary I will tell you that there is no way I could put a kid through hockey with all equipment, icetime, and travel costs)

The first Chinese-born and trained hockey player to make an NHL roster will likely be seen as a major success from the Chinese Hockey Federation's standpoint, even if that player was to play only 1 NHL game in his career.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Call me crazy but in 20 years' time I think we could see the first Chinese-trained player being drafted in the NHL. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but how would you see the future of Chinese hockey?

20 years is doubtful in my opinion. They need probably at least 10 years to get their program to an Austria level. Plus it would take another 20 years for players to be NHL aged, and I imagine the first few players would only play a few games, and would probably go undrafted

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
considering iceland just beat them handily at the U20 division III level to win the tournament in New Zealand, Chinese hockey has taken nothing but a huge step back the past 10 years or so. I dont think we will ever see a Chinese born and trained in the NHL. atleast not in my lifetime

Iceland - China 5:1 (2:1, 1:0, 2:0)
0:1 - 02.39 Hang Li (Zhu, Zheng)
1:1 - 06.06 Ingthor Arnason (Eliasson, Ingason)
2:1 - 14.58 Steindor Ingason (Bergmann, Omarsson) PP1
3:1 - 28.06 Bjorn Sigurdarson (Eliasson, Leifsson) PP2
4:1 - 55.59 Arnar Ingason (Leifsson, Olafsson)
5:1 - 56.22 Olafur Bjornsson (Eliasson, Reynisson) PP1
PIM: 5x2 - 8x2+1x10+1x5x20 SOG: 53-14 Att: 212
Goalkeepers: Snorri Sigurbergsson 13/14 - Shengrong Xia 48/53

if the SOG isnt an indication of the domination. not sure what is.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
Chinese Canadians yes. I'm surprised there aren't many Chinese Canadians in the NHL, Chinese is the 3rd most spoken language in Canada after English and French. Canada in many ways is a Chinese country, much like the US is a Black country.

A real Chinese from China? Probably never. Hockey has zero presence in Asia, I mean zero.

Even more than all those indian languages I have to listen to all the time?

Canada is now an INIDAN country :cry:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The Chinese have no interest in hockey whatsoever (the exceptions are inconsequential).

This is applicable to the Chinese in North America as well. I've met enough Chinese to realize the interest in hockey mostly extends to gambling (i.e. playing Pro-Line).

Any genuine interest in pro sports is mostly basketball and soccer.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The Chinese have no interest in hockey whatsoever (the exceptions are inconsequential).

This is applicable to the Chinese in North America as well. I've met enough Chinese to realize the interest in hockey mostly extends to gambling (i.e. playing Pro-Line).

True.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Jim Paek and Richard Park are both Korean Canadian and Korean American respectively. Both were born in Korea but moved to North America when they were 1 and 2 yrs old. I doubt you will see Chinese trained player in NHL next 20-30 yrs. Hockey is like handball in North America, no one cares or has no knowledge. Chinese hockey has gone down to the hill last 20 yrs. Asian Hockey League (1 team in China, 2 teams in Korea and 4 teams in Japan) has existed since 2000, and Chinese team never won the single game in 36 games this year, check www.alhockey.com.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011

This is applicable to the Chinese in North America as well
. I've met enough Chinese to realize the interest in hockey mostly extends to gambling (i.e. playing Pro-Line).

Hey, those crowds at Rogers Arena are always pretty diverse.

CanucksBen

Feb 27, 2012
BC
With all the people there, there is probably some hockey gifted people, but they wont be exposed to it

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
To give you some idea how far they've fallen: in 1981 they beat Denmark 5-1, Great Britain 12-2, France 10-3. The next year they beat Norway 4-2, tied Switzerland & beat the Netherlands 8-3 (one year after they were in the A pool). In the past couple of years, however, they've lost to the likes of Iceland, New Zealand & Estonia (15-0 & 16-3!)

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey.com/uploads/China__All_Time_Results.pdf

Wow, China has fallen!

I agree if any Chinese make it to the NHL it will have to be Chinese Canucks!

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Hey, those crowds at Rogers Arena are always pretty diverse.

I see almost no Chinese people at Canucks games. Lots of Indians.

The demos are completely different inside and outside the rink.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007

and the chinese that actually show up to the game probably got free tickets from riverrock.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010

What about an Indian hockey player then? Possible?

I know there is at least one in the minors in Michigan.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
IDK, I see a big influence of Indians (India) and Asians all in the junior leagues in BC, especially in the BCHL.

We probably won't be seeing any players from China, but maybe Chinese-Canadians.

IMO now that India has turned into a superpower, we might be seeing a growth in hockey interest like we're seeing in the middle east to go alongside the heavy population of Indians at hockey games.

Mental Mac

Dec 31, 2010
Down Town
Winter sports in China in general is on the rise but hockey might be the only one that has not improved in the last 2-3 years. Its a really expensive sport for a normal chinese so unless the average salary goes up don't expect chinese hockey to get better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad