Chimmer got two more years???

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Would have preferred a one-year extension for a 34 year old player who relies on his footspeed as much as Chimera does, and especially one as hot and cold on the scoreboard as Chimera. But it's still not much to complain about, as he's one of the few Capitals to show up every post-season and $2M won't even be a terrible price for a 4th liner (let alone a 3rd) if the cap goes up as expected.

Wonder what this means for Ward if his best buddy will be around a year after him.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Yeah this makes me happy. I was just wondering what they were going to do with Chimera being a UFA.

He truly is part of the team and he has absolutely brought it every playoffs.

I still remember him and his wife were crying when they first heard he got traded here but he seems to love it here now.

Big fan of this signing
You're right I do remember that about Chimera when he was traded from Columbus. Apparently he and the wife were very active in the Columbus community.

Well many of us including I are quick to point out McPhee's failures as a GM, but this trade of sending Chris Clark and Jurcina to Columbus for Chimmer has definitely been slanted in the Caps favor.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's fine, though I'm a little wary of giving a guy whose game is based on speed a contract that will take him through his 37th birthday.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
as a general rule these kind of extensions are in the works for quite some time. when there were many here suggesting during pre season and camp that the caps move chimera in order to keep perreault, this deal was already down to the small details.

so, his solid offensive performance is more likely a result of knowing is future than about playing for one.

edit: its helpful to keep the actual timeline for these things in mind. he didn't sign the contract today. it was signed in recent weeks and spent some time at the league getting its approval. then the team announced it when they wanted to have some time to address it with the media and get some headlines over it.

its just a guess, but McPhee likely decided to keep Chimera over the off season and opened talks for Fishman after the ufa period.

I think most people that post here understand that a contract is not offered and signed and announced all at once. I certainly hope most people, if not all, understand how this all works.

One poster, raises hand, suggested trading Chimera for some time, having nothing to do with whether to keep Perreault or not. As to the contract, as a general rule, I'm not a fan of 35+ contracts and don't care for these early re-signings. Is the 2 x 2 great or terrible, it's about what I'd expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->