Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
you fix it by never doing it again.
tenor.gif

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Man, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of ineptitude, just put RCHP's Give It Away on repeat for this one

Jensen cpl of bad ones esp. 1st goal, Carlson many bad ones, Kuzy horrendous bad decision on the SHG
and LOL at PP zone entries all nite long

Probably would've won 4-2 or so if we didn't have various body parts up collective arses

On a positive, we didn't take too many penalties :)

Reactions: peterthegreat12

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
We are like 45 games in the season. It’s not a sample size anymore.

Holtby has won an award, nominated other times, was a big reason for our cup win, etc.

past couple years his gaa hasn’t been good. His save percentage this year is .901

....... I will always love him - but is it SAFE to say he’s not a “great” goalie anymore without Korn? Is anything even over AVERAGE goalie salary too much??

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Holtby has won an award, nominated other times, was a big reason for our cup win, etc.

past couple years his gaa hasn’t been good. His save percentage this year is .901

....... I will always love him - but is it SAFE to say he’s not a “great” goalie anymore without Korn? Is anything even over AVERAGE goalie salary too much??

His decline started before Korn left, so I'm not certain that is the reason for it, but its possible.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore

Holtby's not playing at a high level, but I'm confused with giving him any blame for this loss. First and 3rd goals were off breakaways that shouldn't be happening. If it was Samsonov in net we'd be blaming the defense for it, and we'd be right. This specific game, Holtby was fine.

Reactions: Hivemind

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
For me I think the biggest takeaway was, after Jensen did his fumble to Courtier that lead to the first goal, he got benched - something some fans here have been calling for for weeks. It didn't really change anything, the egregious turnovers continued all game long and it was JC who's terrible pass lead to the GWG by Hayes. There's only so much a coach can do when even his top players are playing without much concentration. I think its just a byproduct of having too much regular season success for too long. Its hard (impossible really) to get up and be motivated and focused ALL the time, and mid season is when the Caps always go through this tired, lackadaisical stretch.

The Caps know they are going to coast into the playoffs. The Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives. Teams have completely different motivations this time of year. Benching everyone who makes careless plays isn't going to solve much right now.

Reactions: tenken00

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Holtby's not playing at a high level, but I'm confused with giving him any blame for this loss. First and 3rd goals were off breakaways that shouldn't be happening. If it was Samsonov in net we'd be blaming the defense for it, and we'd be right. This specific game, Holtby was fine.

He's not playing at a high level, but while not every loss is on him, he's a UFA and looking for a $10+M contract this summer - but he's not earning it or worthy of it. I think its clear that unless the wheels completely fall off, he's our starter this year, but I think his play will also mean his days as a Cap are coming to an end.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
He's not playing at a high level, but while not every loss is on him, he's a UFA and looking for a $10+M contract this summer - but he's not earning it or worthy of it. I think its clear that unless the wheels completely fall off, he's our starter this year, but I think his play will also mean his days as a Cap are coming to an end.
Holtby is garbage without Mitch Korn guiding him. Either do everything possible to get Korn back or get rid of Holtby.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The way his numbers are, and with the situation with Bob in Florida, no one is giving Holtby $10m.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The way his numbers are, and with the situation with Bob in Florida, no one is giving Holtby $10m.

Never underestimate NHL GM's ability to think they are smarter than everyone else, it only takes one fool.

Even still, at $9, 8, 7, 6, its still not a good deal for us, not with Sammy showing he's clearly the future.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
For me I think the biggest takeaway was, after Jensen did his fumble to Courtier that lead to the first goal, he got benched - something some fans here have been calling for for weeks. It didn't really change anything, the egregious turnovers continued all game long and it was JC who's terrible pass lead to the GWG by Hayes. There's only so much a coach can do when even his top players are playing without much concentration. I think its just a byproduct of having too much regular season success for too long. Its hard (impossible really) to get up and be motivated and focused ALL the time, and mid season is when the Caps always go through this tired, lackadaisical stretch.

The Caps know they are going to coast into the playoffs. The Flyers are fighting for their playoff lives. Teams have completely different motivations this time of year. Benching everyone who makes careless plays isn't going to solve much right now.

Games like the Sharks where the Caps come back in the last minute with 2 goals to tie and then win the game are such double edged swords.

Being the best team on 6v5 is such a double edged sword.

But they've been this way for so long, it's hard to get that worked up about it now. They are who they are.

And I guess we all know that the regular season really means nothing anymore. And even more importantly, they know. Just get in to the dance, doesn't matter if you win the President's Trophy or as a wildcard. Just turn it on a little bit before the playoffs start. That's how it's always going to be the rest of this era.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My thoughts from the nosebleeds last night:

*PP issues aren't related to formation. It's the zone entries that are scuffed. The zone entries are also what made it so good several years ago. Need to clean that aspect up in order to fix the PP
*Jensen does some subtle things right, but when he makes mistakes they are glaring and harmful. Needs to be better
*John Carlson played like the public perception of Mike Green last night. Bad turnovers in multiple zones (obviously highlighted by the breakaway goal against). Constantly jumping up into the play. Rough puck handling when pressured deep in his zone. I think the hot offensive start might have got to his head, because his defensive play is suffering
*Even ignoring his 10 minute vacation from the game, Panik was mostly invisible
*Hagelin is still where offense goes to die
*Siege treats the puck a bit too much like a hand grenade on breakouts
*Leipsic brings a lot of speed to the 4th line, but he's getting physical overmatched by a lot of players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->