Signing(s): Chiefs and Chris Jones come to agreement on 1 year deal to end holdout

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Glad he’ll be back, thought the defense held up well without him last week, so excited to see what they look like.

Seems like his agents misplayed this one. Apparently there was an offer for 2 years with $55 million guaranteed on the table, but now he’s on a one year deal with incentives. The fact the details haven’t leaked means that it’s probably not an overly great job by his representation. Hopefully they can figure something long term out, but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He’s definitely going to be gone. The question is who wants to give him a big contract when he turns 30?

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
https://x.com/rapsheet/status/1701586137007919481?s=46&t=fr-ITrio_GIXBO_xFwqkhg

Hard to call this anything but a loss overall for Jones. Same base salary with the chance to make the fines back + additional salary through incentives. Chiefs can still tag him afterwards, too. I think it’s likely he’s gone but the list of teams bidding for his services at his reported price will be pretty short.
Without camp, what are the odds of hitting those bonuses?

Vets like Jones don’t like going into the final year of their deal with no guarantees moving forward.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Without camp, what are the odds of hitting those bonuses?

Vets like Jones don’t like going into the final year of their deal with no guarantees moving forward.
Some he’ll hit easily like playing 50% of the defensive snaps. Most seemingly will require replicating last years outstanding results, personally and as a team (1st team all-pro, DPOY, repeating as SB champs) which seem more far fetched. It’s hard to see what he gained here.
Assuming the Chiefs don't stick him with another tag
While they can hit him with the tag I wouldn’t bet on it, unless it’s to trade him. I believe his tag number would be something like $32 million next year. I think him walking in FA is most likely, with an outside chance of him working something out with the team later in the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad