chickenman's top 90 players/mock draft- dec 27th

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I don't see Dallas waiting til the 3rd round to draft a D-man. But Rask and Kessey seem like Dallas type picks. Finns and guys that Willie has connections to. I do think if Atlanta keeps up their pace and Dallas slides, I'd rather seem them go after Ambroz.

CoolburnIsGone

Ryan Strome at 15? This guy will be going in the top 7 for sure. He has all the tools.
Top 10 for sure...once you get beyond the top 4, I think then teams may start looking to match talent with needs as well. Based on this mock, I think the Panthers and Tallon would take Strome over Huberdeau. I also think Armia is probably more likely a top 10 pick as well.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Broll, is a strong, Physical player, who can score a little. He's a pretty good skater for his size, but like most 225lbs guy he could use some work on changing direction. Excellent in the corners and always comes out with the puck. very hard to knock off the puck or knock down at all. Can score a bit but I dout he'll ever be known as a scorer. I can see him being a solid 3rd line guy that can hit and get 15-20 goals one day. I think he would be a solid replacment in the blues organization for Ian Shultz who they traded last season.

Many thanks for the information, sir... much appreciated.

Do you see Broll as a likely candidate to slip to the third round? If the draft plays out as you suggest up to the Blues pick in the second, I have Josh Shalla (whom the Blues took to Traverse City back in September), Zibanejad, Christopher Gibson and Stefan Steen higher on my list at the moment.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
If Edm is around the 4th pick over all I hope that there is a way to trade up to get Couturier. Edm is not going to pick a goalie in the 3rd round. It will be defensemen for with size again. Oscar Klefbom and then with Calgary's pick another dman with size that plays a nasty game and hits. Can someone give me some names of players that they would draft in the 3rd round.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Many thanks for the information, sir... much appreciated.

Do you see Broll as a likely candidate to slip to the third round? If the draft plays out as you suggest up to the Blues pick in the second, I have Josh Shalla (whom the Blues took to Traverse City back in September), Zibanejad, Christopher Gibson and Stefan Steen higher on my list at the moment.

After the 1st 40 or so picks the draft turns into a crap shoot imo. 2 years ago ponich wasn't ranked anywhere and he went 2nd rd to the blues (I had him around 75 on my list) . Broll could be loved by someone and go middle second or i could see him falling to the 5th or 6th rd. i think broll is one of those safe pick type guys, that should make it to the nhl and be a solid physical player. I had him going to the Blues because I saw it as a nice fit for him and I know they will go off the board in the 2nd to get a guy(see ponich in 09)

Zibanejad I see as a high risk, High reward guy. IMO he has to be a top 6 type guy or he doesn't play in the nhl. His contract in sweden could also affect if he is drafted at all(i'm not sure how hard it is to get out of SEL contracts). if teams don't know if they can sign him in 2 years maybe they pass and take a shot next year.

Gibson and Steen look to be solid prospects but i'm not sure there is a goalie in this draft who will be a starter in the NHL. IMO this is the worst draft for goalies I have ever seen. Some will go in the 2nd or 3rd rounds but I think most teams that want to take a goalie to add them to the system are likly to draft them in the 6th and 7th rds.

If I was making a list, I would likly have Steen and Zanbanejad ahead of Broll but on draft day I bet Broll goes ahead of them. Hope this makes sense.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
If Edm is around the 4th pick over all I hope that there is a way to trade up to get Couturier. Edm is not going to pick a goalie in the 3rd round. It will be defensemen for with size again. Oscar Klefbom and then with Calgary's pick another dman with size that plays a nasty game and hits. Can someone give me some names of players that they would draft in the 3rd round.

here are a few that might be there early 3rd, all of them have size but none are what I would call " d-man with size that play a nasty game and hits"

Michael Paliotta USA U-18 6"3 198- big guy who can skate with decent skill. doesn't hit much though and I dout anyone calls him a nasty player.

Jaycob Megna Muskegon 6"4 202- big guy, great athlete but imo still has a lot to learn about playing hockey. He's a smart kid though he he may get it one day. doesn't hit nearly enough. his dad was an nfl corner and him mom an all american water polo player. a project player

Connor Murphy USA U-18 6"3 185- see Paliotta's profile, pretty much the same with maybe a tad less skill.

Mike McKee Kent School 6"4 230- maybe close to what you looking for in a D, but it's easy to be nasty in high school when you 6"4 230. he can skate pretty well but its really hard to get a read on how good high school players are.

Brady Austin Erie 6"4 220- he's big but could hit a bit more. He has only had a few fights so I wouldn't call him Nasty. He has limited skill and is a pretty average skater. He'll be a project but I'm not sure he has the skill set to be any more then a 7th D so 3rd rdc would be a bit high.

Justin Sefton Sudbury 6"3 199- was compaired to phaneuf when he was 15, but has kinda stopped developing. A big guy who can move but is still learning how to play in his own end. loves to hit and is a solid fighter too. Has a high skill level but hasn't really shown it this season with only 2 assist in 33 games. could go anywhere from 2nd to not at all.

Graeme Craig Swift Current 6"4 215- big fairly mobile D who is solid at most things. I'm not sure I'd call him nasty but he will hit and fight. imo he needs to increase his skill to play in the nhl, but he could develop into a solid 5/6 guy who can kill penalties. not much offensive upside though

Alex Roach Calgary, 6"4 227- my sleeper for the draft, he needs to play more physical and get a bit nasty but he could be a solid top 4 guy one day. His skating is ok for his size, his skill is also pretty decent. he seems to be able to make the safe play a lot of times and is solid in his own end. I can see him turning into a guy who plays on the 2nd PP unit with time. His shot and size are the 2 major plus' for me. His shot was clocked at 96mph as a 16 year old, why he doesn't see more pp time i'm not sure. could be a sammy salo/kurtis Foster type D one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->