chickenman's top 61 players/mock draft- jan 23

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
heres how "I" see the top 6 (my personal top 6)

1- RNH- May not be ready next year but should one day be a 100 point guy
2- Larsson- Franchise D, NHL ready
3- Huberdeau- May not be ready next year but should one day be a 100 point guy
4- Landeskog- Future captain who does it all, 85 point type one day. NHL ready
5- Hamilton- Future Norris winner, may not be ready next year
6- Couturier- great 2 way guy, 75 point type year in and out, NHL ready

next season Couturier will be the best of these 6 but 5 years from now I dout it

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

next season Couturier will be the best of these 6 but 5 years from now I dout it

You think these are likely to happen or just potentials?

Because of this draft 2 two for sure 100 point scorers, 2 franchise defensemen and a Selke winning PPG winger, it would be called one of the best drafts in a long time.

One thing that struck me was the Hamilton one. You really see his potential as winning a Norris? I mean, you could say that about every top defensemen prospect, but IMO Hamilton is so close, and IMO behind behind Siemens and Murphy. But its all about opinion I guess. A lot can happen in the future.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010

Thos are ridiculous projections.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
If the draft plays out as you suggest up to pick #11, I see the Blues taking Biggs rather than Armia just because their draft history suggests they will lean towards the American over the European with all else being (relatively) equal. I wouldn't complain about Armia, though... and Doug Armstrong has (or at least, has had) solid connections in Finland through his years with Dallas.

Plus Jarmo Kekalainen is there as well, and I don't think the Blues would hesitate to seek his advice... informally, of course.

And while I do like the pick of J.T. Miller for the Blues in the second round, if I were making the selections for the Bues and John Gibson was still on the board, he'd be wearing the 'Note on stage.

Reasoning: Ty Conklin, as backup to Jaroslav Halak, is most likely gone after this season. Ben Bishop is ready to come up to the NHL full-time and back Halak up, and Jake Allen is showing that he's pretty much "go" for 50+ starts with Peoria next year. The Blues can either sign Paul Karpowich out of Clarkson after his junior year to back up Allen in Peoria, or sign/promote Gerald Coleman from Alaska to do the backup duty.

Signing Karpowich, which I consider the more likely option, leaves a hole in the long-range depth chart for the Blues in goal. Gibson would fill that hole very nicely, and once he goes to college, the Blues can sit on him for up to four years while he rounds into a dominant force at that level. That four-year window also gives the Blues more than adequate time to see how Bishop, Allen and Karpowich shake out on the depth chart behind Halak.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Last time there were 2 TOP 6 players who became 100 pts scorers was 2004 and that were Ovechlkin and Malkin. I don't see Ovy/Malkin's this year.

Draft 2000-1 Heatley
Draft 2001-0
Draft 2002-0
Draft 2003-1 E.Staal
Draft 2004-2 Ovechkin, Malkin
Draft 2005-1 Crosby
Draft 2006-1 Backstrom
Draft 2007-0

As for Norris winners. What makes you say Hamilton will be the one? That's major overhype.

Right now, there are 15 guys in NHL who scored 100 pts. And that list includes guys like Recchi, Weight and Selanne who basically are from another era.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

How about?

1. RNH - Patrick Kane (Could reach 100 points)
2. Larsson - Erik Johnson/Drew Doughty
3. Huberdeau - Lecavalier in his prime (did he get 100 points? cant remember, had 50 goals though).
4. Landeskog - Mike Richards/Johan Franzen
5. Hamilton - Seabrook, maybe Burns, do not see Norris in his future.
6. Coturier - Jordan Staal/Lecavalier type

I dont agree with the placements, and these prjections are slightly more realistic.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

A Russian (even a NA Russian) to the Avalanche?

asnowball'schanceinhellofhappening.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

How about?

3. Huberdeau - Lecavalier in his prime (did he get 100 points? cant remember, had 50 goals though).

I dont agree with the placements, and these prjections are slightly more realistic.

:help:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Interesting list, I've heard a lot about Jaskin being underrated in a lot of these rankings, and I see Oleksiaks' size too much to pass up to get past the 1st rd.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
How about?

I can see the Lecavalier/Couturier comparison but where is Lecavalier/Huberdeau coming from? They're both French skilled forwards?

At this point, I think the comparisons game has run amok. I get that it's interesting and useful, but reading the threads on here, I get the feeling that there's more people debating Lidstrom v. Kane v. Mike Richards v. Jordan Staal than there are debating RNH v. Larsson v. Landeskog v. Couturier.

pouskin74*

:laugh:

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
How many people on here think Tyler Myers could win a Norris some day?

Hamilton is ahead of where Myers was as a 17 year so why can't I say he can win one. I'm not say Hamilton will win 5 of them and go down as one of the greatest D's ever. I just think he'll be a multiple all star and win one in one of his seasons.

In my opinion Hamilton has the same skills as Hedman. They are both big players, who play the body from time to time, they are very mobile, and have skill level that is pretty high for a D. The only difference between the 2 is, Hedman was more consistent game in and game out. If Hamilton can play more consistent I think he can be just as good as Hedman and Myers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad