Grenier Cassels Jensen

Edler Tanev
Corrado Clendening
Subban Stewart

Lack
Markstrom
Ericsson
Demko

Appraisal: At forward some decent high end talent but I honestly can't think of team with more prospect depth than the Canucks right now. If even half of their first round picks turn out to be solid NHLers the Canucks will easily be able to reload their front end.

As for defence I can't think of a team with less depth. Corrado seems like he will top out as a #4 d-man, Tanev is good but not really a prospect, Clendening doesn't look like an NHL player to me, and Subban might not even sign.

In goal they are flush with talent as well.
That is a deeply unimpressive list. That defense is bad news and people are posting young lineups and you included the Sedin's.

Good goalies, tho. So you have that going for you... which is nice.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
That is a deeply unimpressive list. That defense is bad news and people are posting young lineups and you included the Sedin's.

Few notes.

He admits that defense is terrible. I'd argue the forward list is quite impressive. Especially after being so bare in the cuboards not too long ago.
Teams have included older forwards on there lists and realistically the Sedins aren't leaving till they retire.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver

Don't why he put stewart on there when Vancouver has much better options , stewart is probably Vancouver's worst defensive prospect.

Hutton ( loads of pottential in this kid )
Mcnally
Tyramkin
Pedan
Cederholm

all better options then stewart

Last edited:

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
XXXX-XXXX-Virtanen
Shinkaruk-Horvat-Baertschi
Gaunce-Mccann-Kassian
Grenier-Cassels-Jensen/Kenins

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Clendening
Subban/Corrado/Mcnally/Tryamkin/Pedan

Demko
Lack/Markstrom
Ericcson

Lack of top line talent outside of Virtanen.
Lack of top line defensive talent.
Good forward depth
Great Goaltending depth

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
A. look at what Panarin has been doing at the IIHF tourny.

B. consider them being able to keep Sharp by moving Bickell and Versteeg instead as long as Bickell steps it up and continues his solid playoff run. Bring on guys like Baun/McNeil/etc....

C. Resign Saad for around 4mil and Kruger for around 2 mil, bring back Desjardins and Nordstrom for around 2-2.5 combined....

D. Move Crawford and use the combo of Darling and Raanta, saving another 5 mil or so

E. Get Oduya to resign for around 3 mil, and rely on their insane depth with defensman prospects, while also adding a cheap, effective vet Dman.

F. Let Richards(-2.0), Vermette(-3.8), Carcillo(-.6), Rozsival(obviously, -2.2), Timonen(-.5), and Rundblad(-.8) all walk

G. Sign a cheap yet still effective FA 2C ala Richards from last years offseason for around 2mil

H. Have the Cap end up at 71.5 mil as its been projected

I. you could be looking at:

Saad(4.0) - Toews(10.5) - Hossa(5.3)
Panarin(.9) - cheap, effective vet 2C ala Richards(2.0) - Kane(10.5)
Sharp(5.9) - Shaw(2.0) - Teuvo(.9)
Desjardins(1.3) - Kruger(2.0) - Nordstrom(1.0)
Baun/McNeil(.8)

Keith(5.5) - Seabs(5.8)
Oduya(3.0) - Hammer(4.1)
TVR(.9) - Cheap vet(1.0)
Johns(.8)
Pokka(.9)

Darling(.6)
Raanta(.8)

= 70.5 mil....with a lil room to spare even(maybe for a cheap roster player in return for Bickell or Versteeg)....

That to me is still a top Cup contender next season, which is why its endlessly laughable that everyone keeps assuming this is the Hawks last run at a Cup in the near future....this team will still be the class of the league next season and beyond....u can book it.

Last edited:

Reaganomics

Apr 13, 2013
Uppsala
NYI

I think there's going to be a great rivalry between Washington and NYI for the next few years. Great cores, young players, and they'll grow up in the league despising each other.

As do I. The physichality and borderline dirty play in their series, plus the fact that it was a close series going 7, has built a solid foundation upon which a rivalry can grow. The Metropolitan is going to be crazy in the coming years.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
It's impressive to look at both of those teams set of forwards for the next couple of years. Can your team ice a lineup made up of young veterans + top prosects that's better than those teams ?

CHI
Kane - Toews - McNeill
Panarin - Teravainen - Saad
Hartman - Danault - Schmaltz
Shaw - Kruger - Nordstrom

As long as we're looking into the future, I think Hayden and Hinostroza will be better players than McNeill and Nordstrom.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
Panarin-Teravainen-Kane
Hinostroza-Danault-Hayden
Shaw-Kruger-Hartman

CrookedCrook

Jan 12, 2014
Latvia
BUF:

Kane - Eichel - Girgensons
Ennis - Reinhart - Baptiste
Larsson - Grigorenko - Bailey
Fasching - Compher - Foligno

Zadorov - Ristolainen
Pysyk - Bogosian
McCabe - Ruhwedel

Ullmark

Edmonton will have a better forward group than OPs too.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
As long as we're looking into the future, I think Hayden and Hinostroza will be better players than McNeill and Nordstrom.

Saad-Toews-Schmaltz
Panarin-Teravainen-Kane
Hinostroza-Danault-Hayden
Shaw-Kruger-Hartman

As long as we're looking into the future, it's best to keep in mind that one, maybe two of those players end up where you'd want them to. Nothing specific about the Hawks of course, just the way things are with prospects.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Petan Scheifele Ehlers
Perrault Little Armia
Burmistrov Lowry Frolik
Lemieux Copp De Leo
Kosmachuk

Morrissey Trouba
Chiarot Myers
Glover Kostalek

Hellebucyk
Comrie

I'll feel a lot better about that after we cash in on our 2 first rounders this year.

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
As long as we're looking into the future, it's best to keep in mind that one, maybe two of those players end up where you'd want them to. Nothing specific about the Hawks of course, just the way things are with prospects.

Well the Hawks have a bit of a head start since it's a guarantee TT and Panarin are on the team next year and almost assuredly in those spots (top 6 center and winger respectively).

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Drouin can't even make the team in Tampa. I expect he will get the Connolly treatment next year and be in the AHL. We have Erne and DeAgngelo coming for more firepower, but probably at least a year in the AHL as well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bennett-Sutter-Kapanen
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rust
Zlobin

Maatta-Poliot
Harrington-Cole
Dumoulin-Ruopp

Murray
Jarry

Defense and Goalies would be okay...forwards...wow.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It is true Tampa and Anaheim look scary good as well;

ANA
Palmieri - Getzlaf - Perry
Etem - Kesler - Silfverberg
Rakell - Cogliano - Ritchie
Sekac - Friberg - Kerdiles
Noesen

TB
Palat - Johnson - Kucherov
Drouin - Stamkos - Erne
Point - Namestnikov - Killorn
Marchessault - Paquette - Brown
Richard

After further thoughts I'd rank them:

1 Chicago
2 Edmonton
3 Anaheim
4 Buffalo
5 Tampa Bay
6 NY Islanders
7 Washington
8 Colorado
9 Columbus
10 Detroit
11 Calgary
12 Florida
13 Ottawa
14 NY Rangers
15 St.Louis
16 Vancouver
17 Montreal
18 Minnesota
19 Pittsburgh (Crosby-Malkin still young)
20 Philadelphia
21 Winnipeg
22 San Jose
23 Boston
24 Nashville
25 Dallas
26 Los Angeles
27 Arizona
28 Carolina
29 Toronto
30 New Jersey

Though TOR, CAR and PHX might move up a bit depending on who gets Strome, Marner, etc...

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Bennett-Sutter-Kapanen
Wilson-Sundqvist-Rust
Zlobin

Maatta-Poliot
Harrington-Cole
Dumoulin-Ruopp

Murray
Jarry

Defense and Goalies would be okay...forwards...wow.

Well I asked to include young veterans as well. Hornqvist isn't a grand-pa. Perron is still young. You guys will also have Crosby and Malkin for a long time. It's not that bare in PIT. As long as you keep Crosby-Malkin and maybe sign a UFA or 2. If Bennett and Kaspanen developp as they should, you guys will be fine. Though having more depth like NYI or CBJ would do wonders for the Pens for sure...

Kapanen - Crosby - Perron
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter - Sundqvist
Wilson - Rust - Megna

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is a few years out but..

Milano-Johansen-Dano
Rychel-Wennberg-Bjorkstand
Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson
Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson

Pretty good.

Since the Washington lineup in the OP included Ovechkin (29 years old; turns 30 this September; signed until 2021), I'd argue it's reasonable for us to include Dubinsky (29 years old; turns 30 next April; signed until 2021) as well. ;)

EDIT: That and Anisimov is still a Blue Jacket for now. Accordingly...

Jenner-Johansen-Foligno
Milano-Dubinsky-Dano
Rychel-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson
Karlsson, Anderson

(Because, c'mon, Johansen-Foligno just do so well together... ;) )

Last edited:

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier
Klimchuk - Bennett - Colborne
Bouma - Backlund - Granlund/Shore
Ferland/Agostino - Arnold/Reinhart/Jankowski - Jooris/Smith

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - X
Morrisson/Hickey/Culkin/Wotherspoon/Sieloff

Gillies
Ortio
MacDonald

Needs work on defense especially if Gio doesnt count (I expect him to play elite for 4-5 more years) and another top 6 RW.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
NYI

Dal Colle-Tavares-Okposo
Lee-Strome-Ho-Sang
Bailey-Nelson-Collberg
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Oldest is Clutterbuck at 27.

I think there's going to be a great rivalry between Washington and NYI for the next few years. Great cores, young players, and they'll grow up in the league despising each other.

Don't think that Collberg will ever get more than a handful of games in the NHL.

SLarmer28*

It's impressive to look at both of those teams set of forwards for the next couple of years. Can your team ice a lineup made up of young veterans + top prosects that's better than those teams ?

CHI
Kane - Toews - McNeill
Panarin - Teravainen - Saad
Hartman - Danault - Schmaltz
Shaw - Kruger - Nordstrom

WSH
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Burakovsky
Kuznetsov - Johansson - Brouwer
Vrana - Barber - Galiev
Latta - O'Brien - Wilson
The basis of the analysis should be forwards listed at the age of 25 or younger:

Chicago Blackhawks

Saad - xxxx - xxxx
Panarin - xxxx - xxxx
xxxx - Shaw - Teravainen
xxxx - Kruger - xxxx

Nordstrom (barely worth mentioning as the 13th forward on the roster)

As a footnote, there exists the slight possibility of Kyle Baun or Mark McNeill as the fourth line right winger next season.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I'll do Ottawa 25 and younger.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone

Paul-Zibanejad-Puempel

Prince-Lazar-Lindberg

Guptill-Pageau-Chiasson

Cowen-Karlsson

Wiercioch-Ceci

Englund-Harpur

Lehner
O'Connor
Driedger

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
No offense but time to rebuild...Trade the twins.

dead god, the Vancouver Canucks have had 4 first round picks in the last 2 seasons. they're rebuilding! they literally just started their rebuild and already have Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Demko, Cassels, Kennis, Clendenning and Markstrom as prospects, they went from having the worst prospect depth in the league to the cusp of the top 10, and we've only missed the playoffs once in 6 years. The Canucks have had a very good start to their rebuild so far, they will continue to accumulate picks and prospects and will be ready to transition to a new core within no time.

I hate when people spew "the same core" crap about the Canucks they've traded Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Garrison etc in less than 2 years and have transitioned their team more than any other team in the league within the past 10 months.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The basis of the analysis should be forwards listed at the age of 25 or younger

In that case...

Milano-Johansen-Bjorkstrand
Rychel-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Jenner-Atkinson
Anderson-Karlsson-Morin

Atkinson turns 26 in about a month or two, and Calvert turns 26 this December, so one might be tempted to disqualify them for this exercise. If necessary, we have guys like Zaar and Quenneville and Moutrey and so forth that we can sub in.

Any way you slice it, Columbus is in ludicrously awesome shape at forward right now. Mostly thanks to 2013 - three first rounders plus Bjorkstrand in the 3rd == embarrassment of riches.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
dead god, the Vancouver Canucks have had 4 first round picks in the last 2 seasons. they're rebuilding! they literally just started their rebuild and already have Horvat, Virtanen, McCann, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Demko, Cassels, Kennis, Clendenning and Markstrom as prospects, they went from having the worst prospect depth in the league to the cusp of the top 10, and we've only missed the playoffs once in 6 years. The Canucks have had a very good start to their rebuild so far, they will continue to accumulate picks and prospects and will be ready to transition to a new core within no time.

I hate when people spew "the same core" crap about the Canucks they've traded Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, Garrison etc in less than 2 years and have transitioned their team more than any other team in the league within the past 10 months.
I guess for some folks it's not a "rebuild" unless you've traded the face(s) of your franchise. Never mind that virtually every other player on the roster has moved... ;)

Honestly, it makes perfect sense to me to keep the Sedins. Generally, one wants to have skilled veterans to set a good example for the kids while they develop (and also play the tough minutes so they can be sheltered) and keep the team competitive so no losing malaise sets in. That those skilled veterans are already there and just happen to be franchise faces is just a bonus. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad