Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I have a feeling the Hawks screw this up and select Angelo Esposito

I really really doubt they will do that. Also if they really wanted Espositio they would trade down and take him later rather than using the number one pick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Would Philly be interested in swapping the #2 pick and a conditional 2nd or 3rd for the Kings' #4 pick and Lauri Tukonen? On the condition that Tukonen will be on their NHL roster.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Oh, well I guess San Jose was absent of quite a few Euro's when he was there so you'd know better than I. I just thought they'd look good together.

I think if the transfer aggrement between the NHL and Russia was in place, then yeah - Cherepanov would be a "candidate" to come to LA. But since there is no agreement in place, and seeing how Russia tried to block Malkin and Ovechkin from coming to NA, I seriously doubt the Kings would take a chance....I really think that (the transfer agreement issue) is going to hurt Cherepanov in the draft.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
that is a terrible trade, Ziggy.

I don't think so. Tukonen hasn't proven much and there is a significant difference with who would be available at #2 compared to #4. Tukonen has been a disappointment and next years draft is said to be very deep, like the 2003 draft, so the Kings can stock up on picks for that draft as they had been doing with their deadline deals.

hawksfreak24

Jul 11, 2006
Congrats Hawks. They've had some miserable lottery luck over the past few seasons - especially the Ovechkin/Malkin draft - so good for them.

Its either Kane or Voracek for them IMHO.

I have to agree, My pick is Voracek, but Kane is nothing to sneeze at either.

It's about freakin time.....:yo: :bb:

blah

Jun 24, 2003
Why would the Flyers want him if he's been a disappointment?

I don't think the Flyers moving down is unrealistic, but they won't do it just for the hell of it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Interesting. IMO, the only name that won't be called by Chicago (assuming they keep the pick) is Cherepanov. The recent history of that franchise with busts of a certain nationality might scare TPTB off. There's also the transfer agreement, and let's be honest the moribund state of hockey affairs in the city. The Hawks' brass needs to bring in someone the fans can relate to, and while that could be Turris, I think Kane stands a good chance of being that guy.

I wouldn't mind a team like the Blues packaging their picks together and moving up and snagging a top two or three position, but I'm not sure if that's a possibility.

If the draft stays to form, I can see Philly taking Turris, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the Jersey native JVR either.

Phoenix would be the team most likely to go off the board. Maybe Espo?

As for the Kings, they might be best served trading down. They could use some depth on defense, and there are plenty of guys that could be had between 10-15. They could go with Alzner that high, but I'm not sure that's the best move.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Why would the Flyers want him if he's been a disappointment?

I don't think the Flyers moving down is unrealistic, but they won't do it just for the hell of it.

Scottie Upshall was also a disappointment in Nashville. Some young players need a change. Tukonen hasn't flourished in LA, although he has shown glimpses of what he could possibly do (i.e. his WJC performance last year).

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
I don't think so. Tukonen hasn't proven much and there is a significant difference with who would be available at #2 compared to #4. Tukonen has been a disappointment and next years draft is said to be very deep, like the 2003 draft, so the Kings can stock up on picks for that draft as they had been doing with their deadline deals.

hasn't proven much? he has had to battle through a couple injuries early on, and barely had a cup of coffee at the NHL level for the first time this season... and he is ONLY 20 years old.

trading him and your #4 pick to move up to what by all accounts is an highly insignificant 2 spots due to the fact that all of the likely top 5 pick suspects are about equal, not a good idea. too much to give up just to ensure that one of the players you have your eye on doesn't get taken.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think if the transfer aggrement between the NHL and Russia was in place, then yeah - Cherepanov would be a "candidate" to come to LA. But since there is no agreement in place, and seeing how Russia tried to block Malkin and Ovechkin from coming to NA, I seriously doubt the Kings would take a chance....I really think that (the transfer agreement issue) is going to hurt Cherepanov in the draft.
Maybe but I doubt that Washington passes on him at five unless one of the higher-ranked players fall. The key word is that Russian teams tried. How successful were they ultimately, though?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the draft stays to form, I can see Philly taking Turris, but I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the Jersey native JVR either.

I'd be shocked if they took JVR. Holmgren has never even mentioned his name when talking about top prospects and who they're looking at: Kane and Turris are mentioned most of all ... followed by Cherpanov, Voracek and Esposito

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I expect the top three to be either one of Voracek, Kane and Turris in no specific order. Beyond that, who knows who will go 4-10. It could be Van Riemsdyk, Alzner, Cherepanov, Couture, Gagner, Sutter, Ellerby, Esposito, etc.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'd be shocked if they took JVR. Holmgren has never even mentioned his name when talking about top prospects and who they're looking at: Kane and Turris are mentioned most of all ... followed by Cherpanov, Voracek and Esposito

No offense, but that means nothing to me. NHL General Managers say a lot, but that doesn't mean they mean what they say. Opinions change. Just as an example: If JVR blows the roof off of the U18's this year and outclasses guys like Cherepanov and Turris, don't think you think Holmgren will have to rethink his draft position?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No offense, but that means nothing to me. NHL General Managers say a lot, but that doesn't mean they mean what they say. Opinions change. Just as an example: If JVR blows the roof off of the U18's this year and outclasses guys like Cherepanov and Turris, don't think you think Holmgren will have to rethink his draft position?

He might, but the fact that I've never heard him mention him even once, leads me to believ that they don't thikn as highly of him as they do Kane, Turris, Voracek and Cherpanov. I doubt that one under-18 tourney is going to make have them vault JVR over at least 3 of the four previously mentioned.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sort of a karma thing for Chicago. They have ended up with a bit of the short end of the stick despite being near the bottom for a number of years now. The ending up with Cam Barker in the AO/Malkin draft comes to mind when they were only a pt. from the worst in the league that year. And as was said, Philly doesn't get royally screwed, there is no clear number one. This result sounds pretty good as far as the hockey Gods go to me.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He might, but the fact that I've never heard him mention him even once, leads me to believ that they don't thikn as highly of him as they do Kane, Turris, Voracek and Cherpanov. I doubt that one under-18 tourney is going to make have them vault JVR over at least 3 of the four previously mentioned.

Sometimes one tourney is all it takes (see: Jani Rita).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Here's the order (didn't see it anywhere) as per TSN:

1. Chicago Blackhawks
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Phoenix Coyotes
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Washington Capitals
6. Edmonton Oilers
7. Columbus Blue Jackets