Chicago wins draft lottery, picks #1

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't know that the dropoff is so huge. I'm of the opinion that Kane, Turris, and Voracek make up the top three (though not necessarily in that order), but Cherepanov, van Riemsdyk, Couture, and Gagner are all pretty good players.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
mhm, but you've also get defense to help Barker and Seabrook as well as a goaltender not named Khabibulin

I'd say Barker, Seabrook and Keith make a solid top 3 on D and Wizniewski has shown that he can play in the NHL. Shouldn't be too hard to find a #4 and #5-6 d-man in free agency.

Khabby is actually a good goal tender he is just so overpaid. They have Crawford, Palmer and Fallon developing in College and the AHL and they have a shot at being a number one but other than that i agree finding a #1 goaltender could be hard.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Good. The Hawks need the pick more than anyone. I hoped they'd win it.

Good for them! :)

They need a new owner first. Then we'll talk about that team actually having hope.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
So does this mean that if the Oilers didn't win that last game against the Flames and THEY picked 5th overall instead of CHI, they'd be picking 1st now?

No, the Caps would have been 5th. Well, depends on what you mean by didn't win. Had the lost in regulation, the Caps are 5th. Had they lost in OT, then Edm would have been 5th.

turnbuckle*

I'm guessing Kane goes first to Chicago, Turris to Philadelphia, and Voracek to Phoenix.

You may be right on with that.

I think it's pretty much a given that Philly will take Turris if he's available. If Chicago grabs him I would expect Philly to pick van Riemsdyk. I'm not positive Voracek will be third on Phoenix's draft list; Cherepanov was certainly better at the WJC's, and I would be surprised if he's not still in the top three of most draft lists despite Voracek's strong second half.

We'll know a lot better in a couple of weeks when the Under 18's are over. If Cherepanov puts on another dominating performance, and outplays Turris, he may end up going first overall yet.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
Good for the Hawks. Their fans need SOMETHING to be happy about. I had a feeling they might win for some reason...that's a great sports city and it would be excellent to see the Blackhawks be a factor again down the line.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
If Cherepenov is still available i think it would be tempting to add him to Semin and Ovechkin.

Alzner to Caps? I know it's always BPA, but don't they need some help on the blueline, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Absolutely. I wonder if Mark Cuban is interested?

I think LA has to go with Cherepanov to add with Kopitar and Frolov

Don't count on it. Lombardi has said for a while now that he wants "character" guys in the draft and I just don't see him taking Cherepanov. I could see him going with a NA player like Van Riemsdyk or Alzner.

Jaysfanatic*

If Cherepenov is still available i think it would be tempting to add him to Semin and Ovechkin.

Yeah they'll probably go that way. He'd fit well in the Semin, Ovechkin, Backstrom crowd

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I have a feeling Flyers are going to trade the pick anyway

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Honestly, if there was ever a draft where I wouldn't want the first pick, this would be it. It's a really deep draft, with lots of future first line forwards and top-pairing defencemen. In those two regards, it's likely deeper than the last three. But there isn't an elite, future franchise player or all-star player to be had.

I think the team picking at 8 or 10 has as legitimate of a shot at getting the best player in the draft, as the team picking No. 1 or 2.

Jaysfanatic*

Don't count on it. Lombardi has said for a while now that he wants "character" guys in the draft and I just don't see him taking Cherepanov. I could see him going with a NA player like Van Riemsdyk or Alzner.

Oh, well I guess San Jose was absent of quite a few Euro's when he was there so you'd know better than I. I just thought they'd look good together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad