Proposal: Chicago/Vegas

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks also brought Lehner in at the start of last season when they already had Crow; does that mean they thought Crawford’s play was declining or they saw an opportunity to add depth to the goalie position?
They were unsure of Crawfords health at the beginning of the year, and they wanted an established back up goalie in case he got hurt again. That and they had 5mil in space they weren't doing anything with, so why not sign one of the better goalies over the last few seasons. Fleury isn't one of the better goalies over the last couple years.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
As a Hawks fan, I'd rather go year to year with Crow without giving up an asset, even if you have to pay Crow a touch more than 3.5.
The asset the Hawks are giving up in the proposal is the RFA rights to Malcolm Subban who they didn’t trust to play anyways; essentially they are giving up nothing in this proposal.

Reactions: Pertti

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The asset the Hawks are giving up in the proposal is the RFA rights to Malcolm Subban who they didn’t trust to play anyways; essentially they are giving up nothing in this proposal.

They waste 4M in cap space on a backup goalie

We have RFA's to sign and spending 4M on backup goalie is nonstarter and certainly a 3rd round pick is hardly justification to take on such a cap dump

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
They were unsure of Crawfords health at the beginning of the year, and they wanted an established back up goalie in case he got hurt again. That and they had 5mil in space they weren't doing anything with, so why not sign one of the better goalies over the last few seasons. Fleury isn't one of the better goalies over the last couple years.

Crawford still has the same health concerns for this coming season, his concussion history is not going away. The difference is, this offseason you don’t have a $5m cap buffer to use to bring in another established veteran if Crow gets hurt. That leaves the Hawks with a duo combined of Delia, Lankinen, Tomken and potentially Subban if he is brought back.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crawford still has the same health concerns for this coming season, his concussion history is not going away. The difference is, this offseason you don’t have a $5m cap buffer to use to bring in another established veteran if Crow gets hurt. That leaves the Hawks with a duo combined of Delia, Lankinen, Tomken and potentially Subban if he is brought back.
Not really. He played the entire season and didnt have any recurring symptoms. Theres as much of chance of him getting hurt as any other goalie they bring in. Fleury is just as old, so he is as likely to get injured.

Personally I'd like the Hawks to make a move for one of the other UFA goalies for cheap or one of the young guys who could get traded over trading for an over the hill goalie who hasnt played well in a while. Or gamble with Crow and one of young guys.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Sorry, i read it as the Hawks giving up a 3rd. Yeah I'm not worried about losing Subban.

But still, I think Crow is better than Fluery and as a Hawks fan I just assume he finished his career here. If Crawford left, I might think about it, but the 2nd year of Fleury's deal, even at 3.5 worries me.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Fleury ($3m retained) and a 2021 3rd for Subban.

Frees up cap space for Vegas to resign Lehner. Addresses the Hawks need for a stable veteran goalie for the next two seasons at a reasonable price which they can manage within their cap plus acquire an additional pick for assisting Vegas with their cap crunch.

Looks like Vegas is having a hard time moving Fleury; time for the Hawks to be the team taking advantage of a cap strapped team for a change.

Initially I suggested Chicago getting Fleury (with Vegas retaining $3m) and a 2021 3rd for Subban.

Given the rumours that Vegas is looking to free cap space so they can pursue Pieterangelo on Friday, the Hawks may be able to squeeze them for more than a 3rd; perhaps a high level prospects like Glass, Krebs or Hague.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Crawford is a better goalie now and through this career. Unless he signs elsewhere I wouldn’t be interested at all even with full retention and a 3rd coming this way. Both had solid careers don’t get me wrong and fluery has longevity on his side as far as that goes.

Last edited:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
As a Hawks fan, I'd rather go year to year with Crow without giving up an asset, even if you have to pay Crow a touch more than 3.5.

Chicago isn't giving up an asset. They're giving up RFA rights to Subban and getting a 3rd as well. Personally, I don't care for this deal but it's not a bad offer if Vegas actually ends up retaining that much of his salary. I'd prefer to stick with Crawford at a similar price.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
I would want to send Smith back. Retain 2.5 per year on Fleury and we send Smith and Krys.

Smith has one year at 3.25. Buyout is just over a million for two years.

The biggest issue with this deal is the Hawks management can't stand Allan Walsh dating back to Martin Havlat contract negotiations

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Looks like Vegas is having a hard time moving Fleury; time for the Hawks to be the team taking advantage of a cap strapped team for a change.

Initially I suggested Chicago getting Fleury (with Vegas retaining $3m) and a 2021 3rd for Subban.

Given the rumours that Vegas is looking to free cap space so they can pursue Pieterangelo on Friday, the Hawks may be able to squeeze them for more than a 3rd; perhaps a high level prospects like Glass, Krebs or Hague.

Vegas offered a 2nd and Fleury for nothing and nobody was taking it. Only getting a 3rd would be a failure

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Which is why I mentioned literally four posts above yours that, given the difficulty Vegas is having finding a buyer for Fleury the Hawks should be asking for a better sweetener than I originally suggested. I would push for Glass, Krebs or Hague.

Instead of being so anxious to spread your usual dose of negativity, you should try reading the thread.

Last edited:

gach

Aug 2, 2018
The Hawks also brought Lehner in at the start of last season when they already had Crow; does that mean they thought Crawford’s play was declining or they saw an opportunity to add depth to the goalie position?
No they did it because Crow had concussion issues

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad