Proposal: Chicago/Vegas

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Fleury ($3m retained) and a 2021 3rd for Subban.

Frees up cap space for Vegas to resign Lehner. Addresses the Hawks need for a stable veteran goalie for the next two seasons at a reasonable price which they can manage within their cap plus acquire an additional pick for assisting Vegas with their cap crunch.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No thanks

Fleury is on fast decline and a 3rd is not worth downgrade in net

Hawks would be better off bringing back Crawford on one or two year deal

Crawford at near 36 yrs old is better goalie then Fleury at this point as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Crow

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Both goalies are the same age, actually drafted the same year.

Fleury doesn’t have the injury history that Crawford does.

Acquiring Fleury in this manner prevents the Hawks from having to get into a bidding war for an established goalie.

Although Fleury didn’t play often in the playoffs, he looked pretty good when given the opportunity. Also, could be a good potential trade chip if the Hawks find themselves out of playoff contention at the trade deadline.

Fleury’s teammates always love him as he is widely considered a great teammate who helps keep the mood light which could be beneficial for a team that looks to bring in a bunch of young players the next couple of seasons.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

Frees up cap space for Vegas to resign Lehner. Addresses the Hawks need for a stable veteran goalie for the next two seasons at a reasonable price which they can manage within their cap plus acquire an additional pick for assisting Vegas with their cap crunch.
personally , i think this isnt bad
i think you are one 3rd short if you want fleury tho

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Acquiring Fleury in this manner prevents the Hawks from having to get into a bidding war for an established goalie..

Hawks already have an established goalie they can bring back who is better then Fleury in Crawford

Why would Hawks have to get in bidding war? And if we brought in Fleury that would require Hawks finding a young goalie to be #1 because Fleury is no longer a starting caliber goalie

Fleury at 4M x 2 is more akin to a cap dump.. You can find better #2's that wont cost 4M

Reactions: Crow

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Unless I missed an announcement of a signing, Crawford is a free agent, so no they do not have an established goalie.

Come October 9th Crawford is free to sign with any team he wants and as you said he is a good goalie so you would have to believe there will be several teams pursuing him; hence a bidding war.

You may be of the opinion Fleury is no longer starting caliber goalie however, there many well informed hockey people who would disagree with you.

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
Hawks fan saying I like it. If Crow doesn't re-sign for less than $4m, and if none of the other younger starter-ready guys are available, I would trust Fleury in net for this Hawks team for the next two years. It's not like he's going to be the weak link. If I were Stan, I'd say let's talk again at the draft.

Reactions: qqaz

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Hawks fan saying I like it. If Crow doesn't re-sign for less than $4m, and if none of the other younger starter-ready guys are available, I would trust Fleury in net for this Hawks team for the next two years. It's not like he's going to be the weak link. If I were Stan, I'd say let's talk again at the draft.
I don't know man, his numbers have fallen off pretty bad over the last two years, and that's behind a pretty good defense in Vegas. I don't think he would fair better behind what was maybe the worst defense in the league last year in Chicago.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Fleury would very much be weak link

There is reason the Knights traded for Lehner and gave him #1 job in playoffs

Fleury is on fast decline and is no longer a #1 netminder

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
The Hawks also brought Lehner in at the start of last season when they already had Crow; does that mean they thought Crawford’s play was declining or they saw an opportunity to add depth to the goalie position?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I agree however, anything more than $3.5m - 4m a year is not affordable under current cap restraints. With Crawford being an UFA who knows where the bidding goes?

The Hawks better have a better back up plan than a combination of Delia, Lankinen, Tomkens & Subban.

Fleury with $3m retention could be better than all
Of the other affordable options available to the Hawks.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I agree however, anything more than $3.5m - 4m a year is not affordable under current cap restraints. With Crawford being an UFA who knows where the bidding goes?

The Hawks better have a better back up plan than a combination of Delia, Lankinen, Tomkens & Subban.

Fleury with $3m retention could be better than all
Of the other affordable options available to the Hawks.
There are a lot of goalies on the market, and Crawford is among the oldest. He also has an injury history, as you said. He also said he wants to be a starter, so Crawford’s options are limited. Nobody is going to offer significantly more than the Hawks for Crawford, so why would he move on? Even if he did, why do the Hawks need a great starter? They’re probably not competing this year. I’d honestly be fine with them running a tandem with two of Delia/Lankinen/Subban and just seeing what they have.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

No lol Crawford > Fleury

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Both goalies are the same age, actually drafted the same year.

Fleury doesn’t have the injury history that Crawford does.

Acquiring Fleury in this manner prevents the Hawks from having to get into a bidding war for an established goalie.

Although Fleury didn’t play often in the playoffs, he looked pretty good when given the opportunity. Also, could be a good potential trade chip if the Hawks find themselves out of playoff contention at the trade deadline.

Fleury’s teammates always love him as he is widely considered a great teammate who helps keep the mood light which could be beneficial for a team that looks to bring in a bunch of young players the next couple of seasons.

And Fleury has a lot worse stats than Crow on a much better team...

Unless I missed an announcement of a signing, Crawford is a free agent, so no they do not have an established goalie.

Come October 9th Crawford is free to sign with any team he wants and as you said he is a good goalie so you would have to believe there will be several teams pursuing him; hence a bidding war.

You may be of the opinion Fleury is no longer starting caliber goalie however, there many well informed hockey people who would disagree with you.

Crawford has made it very apparent he wants to stay you are just trying too hard justify this trade

Pitter Patter

May 20, 2020
I don't know man, his numbers have fallen off pretty bad over the last two years, and that's behind a pretty good defense in Vegas. I don't think he would fair better behind what was maybe the worst defense in the league last year in Chicago.
You could be right.
Fleury would very much be weak link

There is reason the Knights traded for Lehner and gave him #1 job in playoffs

Fleury is on fast decline and is no longer a #1 netminder

And Crow is what exactly? This is about filling out a roster with the $8m available, not rebuilding a champion.

Reactions: Pertti

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

As a Hawks fan, I'd rather go year to year with Crow without giving up an asset, even if you have to pay Crow a touch more than 3.5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->