Proposal: Chicago-Toronto

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Toronto will be paying a good chunk of his salary July 1 but the reality is he is still a 7m cap hit for a team. Toronto can’t afford that next year and lots of other cap teams won’t be interested in Nylander. That will limit Toronto’s trade options.

Toronto brass is probably praying that Nylander has a good playoff to help his trade value. If he has a flat playoff Toronto is going to be forced to sell low.

Toronto can absolutely afford him next season. There’s zero chance they opt to move him this summer

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Toronto can absolutely afford him next season. There’s zero chance they opt to move him this summer

I wouldn't say zero. They won't be intending to but if someone makes an offer that makes the most sense of all options this off-season they should do it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't say zero. They won't be intending to but if someone makes an offer that makes the most sense of all options this off-season they should do it.

While I’d agree zero is an exaggeration I’d honestly put the chances at no more then 5%.

One of AJ or Kapanen would likely moved first.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
While I’d agree zero is an exaggeration I’d honestly put the chances at no more then 5%.

One of AJ or Kapanen would likely moved first.

Depends on return vs. contract on all three, with OS's looming (yes, they haven't been used much historically, but KK and AJ make too much sense as targets for it to not be a concern.

If we're faced with

KK + AJ for combined 6-8m +( Jokiharju+Kahun+pick 43)
vs.
WN + AJ/KK for combined 10-11m + (2020 2nd)

The top is a lot better both short and long term imo. Yes that's a worst case on liquidating AJ/KK, but it's undeniably a possible outcome.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Depends on return vs. contract on all three, with OS's looming (yes, they haven't been used much historically, but KK and AJ make too much sense as targets for it to not be a concern.

If we're faced with

KK + AJ for combined 6-8m +( Jokiharju+Kahun+pick 43)
vs.
WN + AJ/KK for combined 10-11m + (2020 2nd)

The top is a lot better both short and long term imo. Yes that's a worst case on liquidating AJ/KK, but it's undeniably a possible outcome.

I don’t think the kind of player that would get Dubas to move Nylander it’s going to be available this offseason. I just can’t see the Leafs moving Nylander for a package type return.

We’ll Just have to wait and see how it plays out though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think the additions that Toronto would want on top of Joker put the deal too far into Toronto's favor.

I say that as a fan of both teams.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don’t think the kind of player that would get Dubas to move Nylander it’s going to be available this offseason. I just can’t see the Leafs moving Nylander for a package type return.

We’ll Just have to wait and see how it plays out though

Carter for Vorachek, 7th ovr, 68th ovr
Richards for Schenn & Simmonds
Kessel for 1st+1st+2nd
Staal for Sutter+Doumulin+ 8th ovr

Gambling and winning on the right (big emphasis) package type return is exactly what a cap strapped team needs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Carter for Vorachek, 7th ovr, 68th ovr
Richards for Schenn & Simmonds
Kessel for 1st+1st+2nd
Staal for Sutter+Doumulin+ 8th ovr

Gambling and winning on the right (big emphasis) package type return is exactly what a cap strapped team needs.

I don’t think Dubas is the kind of GM to make that sort of trade (ie particularly given how much Nylander’s stats are usually fantastic). And Particularly since the Leafs are in a win now mode, losing an impact player like Nylander for question marks doesn’t fit that scenario.

The Leafs are only really tight against the cap next season, as they’ll get more breathing room beyond that, which is why I think he’ll do a smaller move (like say moving Brown) than trading a player like Nylander

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Kid sat out of hockey for like 5 months. He’s not a 40 point player. Again, I hope Toronto has soured on him and Stan works out a deal around Jokiharju. A DeBrincat-Strome-Nylander line would be nasty. All under 23 as well.

Stan would be taking a huge risk on Nylander. The question is Nylander the real deal or was he just a blip.

Joker is a highly skilled young defenseman , his metrics for the short period are outstanding, he is only 19 years old. He will be a impactful player.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Stan would be taking a huge risk on Nylander. The question is Nylander the real deal or was he just a blip.

Joker is a highly skilled young defenseman , his metrics for the short period are outstanding, he is only 19 years old. He will be a impactful player.

Which side is taking the bigger risk? Nylander was productive over a bigger sample size (2 full seasons).

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
To be fair when I posted above I stated that I said that for Nylander for Boqvist most CHI fans don't want.
What needs to be remembered about willy is that over his first ~20 games he had 3 points and finished the year with 27pts in 54 games while not being able to buy a goal. I just think that Joker would require a pretty valuable piece as an add but It wouldn't be the value of Boq for sure. I'm thinking either Murphy for an unprotected 2020 1st.
Best option for leafs is just let him bounce back next year. His value will go back to normal or even higher than before this season started.

The problem with that is if he doesn't "bounce back" at his wage he is probably not worth a 3rd.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Kapanen + Nathan Horton contract for Erik Gustafson. Leafs get a 60 point Dman on a dirt cheap deal which if he fits, they have a little more money next Summer to extend him and shed Horton's contract that makes them vulnerable to an offersheet on Marner. Hawks get their missing top 6 RW and can go sign a stay at home LD (prefer Chiarot, but Nemeth would be okay) for 2 or 3 years and play the kids on D with the dinosaurs. I can't see the Hawks committing to Gus with the ELC options they have coming on D (and maybe drafting Byram to add to that mix). Hawks shouldn't spend to the cap as they will need money to extend DCat & Strome next Summer so Horton's contract forces them to keep that space in their back pocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad