Proposal: Chicago-Toronto

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Chicago: William Nylander
Toronto: Henri Jokiharhu

Fair?

It's an interesting start to a conversation, but the Leafs will need more. By giving him that contract they're sending a pretty big signal that they expect further development from him, anywhere from a Kessel-lite growth into a point per game offensive catalyst from the wing to long term C candidate.

If Chicago is interested in acquiring him with that contract it kind of signals the same, or at least that they don't think that this seasons point totals are representative.

Between Joker/Mitchell , Saad, Murphy, your 2nd, and to a lesser extent Kahun/Cagguila/ Perlini there's pieces to get the deal done

I just don't know the fair/right combination

Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
It's an interesting start to a conversation, but the Leafs will need more. By giving him that contract they're sending a pretty big signal that they expect further development from him, anywhere from a Kessel-lite growth into a point per game offensive catalyst from the wing to long term C candidate.

If Chicago is interested in acquiring him with that contract it kind of signals the same, or at least that they don't think that this seasons point totals are representative.

Between Joker/Mitchell , Saad, Murphy, your 2nd, and to a lesser extent Kahun/Cagguila/ Perlini there's pieces to get the deal done

It has to be around Joker/Murphy to me to make any sense. That's not a gross overpayment if it is one at all and it addresses the Leafs top 2 needs in RHD and cap space. That's probably the only trade I'd seriously consider if I was both fanbases. I do have bias to Leafs so I guarentee my valuations are skewed.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Nah I'm talking about William, 7 goals 20 assists equals 27 points yeah? Or you just don't know how to google or what?
By your argument you're taking a specific number of games and judging him by it. I'm taking all of November's games out of the equation. Laine is trash only scoring 12 goals over the season what a bum. He's supposed to make 10M too? Hahahaha dude doesn't even know how to play defense or do anything but shoot and he couldn't even score for 5 of the 6 months of the season. 10M? Lmao keep bringing up why Willy sucks though :laugh:

Reactions: Nifty Willy

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Saad was rebourn once Q was gone. Too much add there. Hawks would probably do Jokiharju+Sikura/Perlini+Forsling/Krys and maybe a mid round pick. Once we start to add Murphy and Saad its just an overpayment.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You really think a 19 year old D-man that struggles defensively and either Perlini and Kahun (who, by the way, have very different values given that Perlini sucks and Kahun is pretty good), neither of whom crack Toronto's top-9 is going to convince Toronto to move a play driving winger that may be able to play center and had two 20 goal+, 61 point seasons before turning 21?

You're out to lunch.
I get the point you are trying to make, and I agree that I wouldn't trade WN for Joker if I'm a Leafs fan, but I hate this type of post. Lets point out the negatives of the 1 player (struggles defensively - truth is a 19 yr old Dman in his first NHL season, playing on a poor defensive team) and then wax ecstatic about the other player (play driving, may be able to play centre). Why wasn't your narrative 19 yr old rookie RHD with offensive upside, may be able to play top pairing for a soft winger that is overpaid for his production.

Again, your point is valid, but this is a very common way of trying to prove a point and it comes off as disingenuous to me.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Jesus, this would be Hall for Larsson again

upload_2019-4-11_9-49-44.gif

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teams don't move 19 year old 30 point Dmen for 7 million dollar 40 point buttersoft wingers

Good thing neither of these players fit the description you just gave.

This 30 point 19 year old dman had 30 points split between the AHL and the NHL. This $7 million 40 point guy had a down year but is 22 and has two 60 point seasons under his belt.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get the point you are trying to make, and I agree that I wouldn't trade WN for Joker if I'm a Leafs fan, but I hate this type of post. Lets point out the negatives of the 1 player (struggles defensively - truth is a 19 yr old Dman in his first NHL season, playing on a poor defensive team) and then wax ecstatic about the other player (play driving, may be able to play centre). Why wasn't your narrative 19 yr old rookie RHD with offensive upside, may be able to play top pairing for a soft winger that is overpaid for his production.

Again, your point is valid, but this is a very common way of trying to prove a point and it comes off as disingenuous to me.

Because upside is nice, but if Toronto is trading Nylander for a RD, they need that D to be strong defensively. That's their biggest, most glaring need. All things being equal, I think the Leaf's would prefer a RD prospect with more defensive polish but maybe less offensive upside. If Nylander is on the market, I think a Jokiharju + a moderate add offer gets outbid. I don't think the reverse is true.

I like Jokiharju's upside a lot, but I think there's a limit to the appeal of his potential has in a trade proposal and its when you're trying to get a pretty young player with a mostly strong NHL resume.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Ah so you don't have an argument so instead chose to be an annoying pedant. Wouldn't it have just been easier to admit you were wrong?
Because you're wrong? Like when you list a player as "a 40 point player" that means over the span of an 82 game season you expect him to score 40 points. You'd be just about the only person thinking that because everyone else knows he's a 60+ point player since he scored 61 points in his age 20 and 21 season. He took off the start of the year and took almost 20 games to round into form and since then He's been 3rd on the Leafs in points scored and yet again, HE CAN'T BUY A GOAL. You're straight trolling Willy and the people that come to justify his value because you are looking though a narrow slit of 54 games instead of at the big picture of the 2 seasons prior. Even the last ~34 games or so he's scored at around a 70 point pace. Like you have no facts aside from he had a bad start to this season after missing 2 full months of games and practices.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Saad was rebourn once Q was gone. Too much add there. Hawks would probably do Jokiharju+Sikura/Perlini+Forsling/Krys and maybe a mid round pick. Once we start to add Murphy and Saad its just an overpayment.
Fair enough.

I think it's wildly unrealistic but if the Leafs were doing a package I think it would be something Leafs choice

Joker/Mitchell + Kahun/Caggiula +2nd

Quality for Quality on the Willy- D swap
But the Leafs are Gambling a lot more on the RHD centre piece, so the cheap top 9 LW+2nd off sets the risk and short term impact gap

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Nice to see some non-leaf fans acknowledge that Nylander is still a great hockey player who had a rough return from a lengthy holdout.
It gets so tiresome to see the trolls come on here and spew nonsense just to anger people (and probably haven't watched more then two minutes of play). Jetshomer sure is working hard on that one in this thread.
Nylander still holds very good value. His value will rise significantly after July 1st (when the Leafs hand over another $10 million).
Hard to say where his value is specifically but I believe it to be much higher then Jokiharju.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It took the hawks all these years to get out of cap hell and you want to put them right back in it. Keep with the draft just like they used to make the 3 time cup winners

Uhhhh, Hawks already have a ton of cap and can create more by trading secondary pieces like Anisimov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->