Proposal: Chicago-Toronto

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Chicago: William Nylander
Toronto: Henri Jokiharhu

Fair?
Leaf fans are more down on Willy than ever so you'll probably have some takers on this. Joker is great but I'll keep Willy and expect him to bounce back fully next season. If after that he is still not effective for us then I consider moving him. The last ~40 games or so he scored slightly above his career PPG and during that whole stretch he couldn't buy a goal. I just have too much faith in him to be great to let him go after 1 bad season.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Define significant?
Not the 3rd OVR pick, not Debrincat.
I think this. Either Boqvist for Nylander straight up (doubt CHI wants that at all), Joker + 2020 unprotected 1st, or Joker + Murphy and probably another small +. If one of those 3 suggestions aren't met then I'd start to think it becomes a rags for riches type of trade.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Define significant?

Probably at least another piece equal to or greater in value to Jokiharju. Nylander had a rough season, but his underlying numbers are still excellent and he has enough of resume in his short career for that to not effect his value much. Jokiharju is nice, but this is a clear sell-low on Nylander.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Probably at least another piece equal to or greater in value to Jokiharju. Nylander had a rough season, but his underlying numbers are still excellent and he has enough of resume in his short career for that to not effect his value much. Jokiharju is nice, but this is a clear sell-low on Nylander.
So you basically are asking for Joker and Boqvist? LOL, that's ridiculous.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
So you basically are asking for Joker and Boqvist? LOL, that's ridiculous.
To be fair, I believe he's not a Leaf fan per se but at least has a level head about Nylander's value. I do not think anyone believes that Nylander is worth Joker + Boqvist. I listed a 1 for 1 trade willy for boqvist and then I gave 2 reasonable alternatives if you don't want to include Boqvist.

Joker + Boqvist would be worth Nylander if Nylander just put up a PPG season while maintaining his underlying stats but that's not the case. At least not yet. Although in the future this statement could be 100% wrong

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Teams don't move 19 year old 30 point Dmen for 7 million dollar 40 point buttersoft wingers

I really hate to defend Leafs players, but Jokiharju had 12 points (7 primary assists and 5 secondary assists) in 38 games, in no way is that a a 30 point D-man.

And if Nylander is a 40 point buttersoft winger, I'm not sure what that makes Ehlers

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
To be fair, I believe he's not a Leaf fan per se but at least has a level head about Nylander's value. I do not think anyone believes that Nylander is worth Joker + Boqvist. I listed a 1 for 1 trade willy for boqvist and then I gave 2 reasonable alternatives if you don't want to include Boqvist.

Joker + Boqvist would be worth Nylander if Nylander just put up a PPG season while maintaining his underlying stats but that's not the case. At least not yet. Although in the future this statement could be 100% wrong
I wouldn't pay Boqvist for Nylander right now, so I don't think if he had a better season that he would suddenly be worth the both of them. I think Joker is close to fair value, with a little add from Chicago, like Perlini, or Kahun.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I wouldn't pay Boqvist for Nylander right now, so I don't think if he had a better season that he would suddenly be worth the both of them. I think Joker is close to fair value, with a little add from Chicago, like Perlini, or Kahun.
To be fair when I posted above I stated that I said that for Nylander for Boqvist most CHI fans don't want.
What needs to be remembered about willy is that over his first ~20 games he had 3 points and finished the year with 27pts in 54 games while not being able to buy a goal. I just think that Joker would require a pretty valuable piece as an add but It wouldn't be the value of Boq for sure. I'm thinking either Murphy for an unprotected 2020 1st.
Best option for leafs is just let him bounce back next year. His value will go back to normal or even higher than before this season started.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
You're becoming my favourite non-leafs fan
You're looking at this through bias. Nylander had 2.5 years of really good hockey before this season and Joker has had 1/2 a year of hockey in the NHL? He doesn't have the potential of a guarenteed top 4 guy with the upside of a #2 (as it stands right now) so I'd stick with Willy as will most fans. Even the haters and there's a lot of Willy haters.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

You really think a 19 year old D-man that struggles defensively and either Perlini and Kahun (who, by the way, have very different values given that Perlini sucks and Kahun is pretty good), neither of whom crack Toronto's top-9 is going to convince Toronto to move a play driving winger that may be able to play center and had two 20 goal+, 61 point seasons before turning 21?

You're out to lunch.

Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad