HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Chet Coppock, Chicago sports broadcaster, dies at 70 after car accident

Chet Coppock, a Chicago sports broadcast icon known as "The Godfather of Sports," has died.

Coppock was injured in a car accident on April 11 in Savannah, Georgia, according to his former wife, Anna Marie Busalacchi.

He died Wednesday due to those injuries, with his family by his side. He was 70 years old.
Chet Coppock was an original. RIP. He used to make so much fun of The North Shore Country Day School. LOL.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
man i am sorry for his family....

i would like to add an anecdotal story here ..... late 70's, i think chi was wanting to televise a playoff game. i could it was CC who was doing the play by play. he kept on saying that the team was 6 on 6 or when there was a power play it was 6 on 5......

he kept on adding the goalie as a numerical number in his play by play.

purely innocent mistake.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010

WMVP-AM 1000 has suspended the veteran sportscaster until Feb. 23 after he made an offensive remark about Jews on his show Feb. 2.
During an exchange with Ben Finfer, Coppock was asked to spell Jewish. He replied, "Money, M-O-N-E-Y."

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Coppock was a very irritating broadcaster, but I met him once and he seemed like a nice guy.

Edit: didn’t know what illini posted above.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Coppock was a very irritating broadcaster, but I met him once and he seemed like a nice guy.

Edit: didn’t know what illini posted above.

Met him once as well. Had no issues with him although been told by a few people he was very arrogant.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Way back circa mid 1980s, used to enjoy the, "crossover talk" shift change between Steve Dahl - or, "Dahlster!" as Chet Coppock would call him - Dahl would bust his balls pretty unmercifully but Chet would play right along, I admired him for that.

And of course, Bruce Wolf's, "Chet Chitchat" character ...

Sure, the guy was full of himself - don't think he minded the face in his bathroom mirror - but I think he also deserves credit b/c his radio show seemed to sorta set the standard for what followed on WSCR and the like.
Imho a LOT of "sports talk" guys - local anyways - can/could thank the guy for paychecks cashed over the years.

Wasn't really a fan but I'm archaic enough now to not like hearing ANYBODY's demise so, rest in peace, dude.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
And he often said that he and buddies would go into some rough areas as a teen, like to the Dairy Queen on Lake in Wilmette. :laugh:
A couple of miles from my childhood home.
Only open in the summer. :) Technically, West Wilmette was the rough areas of the New Trier school district ... relative to East of Ridge Rd.
Depends on whether you’re north or south of Lake Ave.;)

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Way back circa mid 1980s, used to enjoy the, "crossover talk" shift change between Steve Dahl - or, "Dahlster!" as Chet Coppock would call him - Dahl would bust his balls pretty unmercifully but Chet would play right along, I admired him for that.

And of course, Bruce Wolf's, "Chet Chitchat" character ...

Sure, the guy was full of himself - don't think he minded the face in his bathroom mirror - but I think he also deserves credit b/c his radio show seemed to sorta set the standard for what followed on WSCR and the like.
Imho a LOT of "sports talk" guys - local anyways - can/could thank the guy for paychecks cashed over the years.

Wasn't really a fan but I'm archaic enough now to not like hearing ANYBODY's demise so, rest in peace, dude.

He deserves the blame then, not the credit. I haven’t lived in Chicago since the late ‘90s, but Chicago sports radio was always terrible.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He deserves the blame then, not the credit. I haven’t lived in Chicago since the late ‘90s, but Chicago sports radio was always terrible.
Chet Coppock was Chicago's Mike Francesa. A sports gasbag ... but our gasbag nonetheless.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Amazing ... if you know that, you knew Dog Ear Records. LOL.
dogearrecordsplaza_zps6803b162.jpg

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
Damn...memory lane.

Back when I was growing up, there were still a few pockets of prairie around in Wilmette, farmland in Glenview too.

That farm on Lake & Wagner? Still there but back then - late '70s - was REALLY cool to see actual cows in a pasture there.
One guy from our grade skool - good catholic boys yeah right ;-) - went to Loyola Academy but we* were way more Gordon Tech ....

* North side blue collar types.

Reactions: pvr

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That farm on Lake & Wagner? Still there but back then - late '70s - was REALLY cool to see actual cows in a pasture there.
One guy from our grade skool - good catholic boys yeah right ;-) - went to Loyola Academy but we* were way more Gordon Tech ....

* North side blue collar types.
That Greek Orthodox Church right by had a carnival on the farm every year. I believe when the farmer died, he gave the land to Glenview if they promised to keep it a farm. Didn't the murdered Brach heiress live right by Wagner?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad