Chicago hires former NHL dman Greg Hawgood as scout

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Saw that Chicago hired Hawgood as a part time scout. Seems like a solid hiring. Former junior hockey standout and former NHLer that had a long pro career in different leagues.

He was one of the better small puck moving dmen of all time back when he played junior hockey in Kamloops in an era where big tough dmen were more important. Seems like a good time bringing him in now with small puck movers a huge part of the game now........

From an article...

Also getting a scouting job recently is fellow Blazers alum Greg Hawgood, who was hired last week by the Chicago Blackhawks as a part-time Western Hockey League scout.
I'm pretty excited," said Hawgood, who played with the team from 1983-88. "It was a bit of a long process, but things worked out for the best, so I'm excited for the season coming up."
After his pro hockey career ended in 2006, Hawgood took a step back from the game to take in his kids' activities. But he felt now was the right time.
"All my kids are off to university now. When my hockey career was over, it was time to get a regular job and watch their sports and spend time with them," said Hawgood. "Now that they're off at university, I thought if someone was willing to give me an opportunity that the time was right."

Reactions: BrianE

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Saw him play when he was with the Caps, can't recall his style of play but he did pot some goals during his time.

Edit: Just looked up his bio, he never played for the Caps but i know iv'e seen him play somewhere, either way his best season offensively was with the B's in 88-89, 16 goals and 24 helpers in 56 games.

Played in Finland (i'm 75%) at the end of his career. Hope he can help us find some good Dmen.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I always like Hawgood, thought he was a smart player that saw the ice well and was a very good puck mover.

Hopefully he can see those things in other players.

Ya seems like a good time to bring him in with these smaller puck movers Chicago has been drafting lately. Unsure what capacity they will have him working(upcoming draft picks, already drafted players, etc) but it seems solid IMO.

Anytime a team can add a former NHLer and former Junior hockey standout to their payroll, even part time, is a positive move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad