GDT: Chicago @ Detroit, 2019 pre-season Game 1, 7:30 ET

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
No...it’s ****ing not.

You need to disassociate when Holmstrom was drafted and what he produced. Holmstrom is not the norm for when he was drafted. He’s not the norm for even a top 10 pick. He’s top 5 in his draft class in games played, with Ryan Smyth, Daniel Alfredsson, Patrik Elias, and Ed Jovanovski. He’s top 7 in his draft class in points, with Alfredsson, Elias, Smyth, Milan Hejduk, Steve Sullivan and Chris Drury.

The player you’re describing is literally a top 10 performer from his draft class.

Only 337 players since 1917 have played 1000+ games. And separately, only 479 players have scored 500+ points. Holmstrom did both. That’s a list that consists of only 247 names. You’re not talking about an average NHL career; you’re talking about a career that every single draft prospect hopes they could replicate.

Hopefully now you can see how misguided your assumption is. But knowing your tendencies, I’m sure there’s a “but what about” already being cooked up.
Holmstrom is a major fail for Ras ceiling!

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Comparing Ras to Holmstrom cuz he's large and plays net front on the PP? Yikes.

Taking that comparison seriously, and using it to further a narrative against Rasmussen? Double yikes.

That's some Art Regnar level of analysis.

Though i would absolutely love a time machine to go watch Homer try and play center on back to back nights!

Get yer stuff together HF.

Reactions: Mister Ed

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Wonder if Rasmussen finishes his NHL career with 243 goals, 500+ points and 4 Cups.

If he finished with those exact totals, it wouldn't make comparisons to Holmstrom less absurd.

Not hating on anyone using Homer as a base to build off of in regards to net front and o zone puck handling impacts, but dang, I like to compare Ras to Fil, and it'd be crazy if I didn't acknowledge the glaring differences between them.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Holmstrom was such a unique flower (guy was incredibly good with the puck in tight and he was incredibly talented despite his lack of speed or agility) that it is hard to compare any player to him, honestly.

I'm not sure if the comparisons are valid just yet, but he certainly could mold himself in that style and make a solid career out of it.

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys.

It's September.

Let's all just relax and not jump down each other's throats before the season even starts.

Reactions: mantha39

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wonder if Rasmussen finishes his NHL career with 243 goals, 500+ points and 4 Cups.
Different time , different players. Ever since Homer retired wings tried to get his replacement. Finally Rasmussen can do that job. Rasmussen is more skilled and faster, bigger size. Rasmussen doesn't surround as good players as Homer had.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What? Wasn’t Pastranak taken at like 19?

And Datsyuk was taken 199 and Zetterberg 210 and Jonny Gaudreau somewhere around 95 and PK Subban at 35
And Henrik Lundqvist somewhere near 200.

He was obviously pointing out guys who were taken 9OA and not mentioning other stars taken elsewhere through the draft.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If he finished with those exact totals, it wouldn't make comparisons to Holmstrom less absurd.

Not hating on anyone using Homer as a base to build off of in regards to net front and o zone puck handling impacts, but dang, I like to compare Ras to Fil, and it'd be crazy if I didn't acknowledge the glaring differences between them.

Filppula is one of the smoothest skating centers in the league.
He's also without a doubt a pass-first playmaker who doesn't shoot the puck much. And he's soft as warm butter.
I can't see a Rassmussen-Filppula comparison.

I think Veleno-Flip might be a good comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->