GDT: Chicago @ Detroit, 2019 pre-season Game 1, 7:30 ET

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Christ sake we gotta get a petition going or something to get a new goal horn. It’s so muffled and shitty and actually almost makes me feel deflated after a goal.

Also, Whoop There It Is is the new goal song? Seriously?

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The whole team skated and competed well all night which was good to see.

-Hicketts had an excellent game, physically and making smart plays.
-Rasmussen look quite good in the 3rd period, and was nice to see him get mad, and then score.
-Pearson was solid/good all night I thought.
-Ehn was skating very well all night.

-Hirose had some nice plays, but was largely unnoticeable I thought.
-Svech looked good at times and his shooting was nice, but the thing that stood out to me, was he looks quite un-confident out there at the moment, hopefully he can get some confidence soon.
-McIlrath looks like he maybe wants Witkowski's role from a year ago. Chirping quite a bit from the bench I noticed.

-Pickard looked slow to react and didn't seem to be tracking the play or puck very well.

Reactions: NotLeddy

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think the horn was powered/pressured with hot propane. With all the engineers in this town, you'd think they could have a re-design that used still the horn
Just compressed air. It's a dual Buell Marine reed horn.

Apparently it was an issue with acoustics more than anything.

Clearing the blare: LCA goal horn a recording from Joe

That horn is so freaking loud I also don't particularly buy this, either. But at least this one makes more sense. Could they have not acquired two similar horns and then hooked them both up to blow when triggered?

Ugh, I hate it. One of the best horns in the league now one of the worst.
Hooking up two or more horns would be easy, just run air lines and use electric solenoid valves at the horn. Like running air lines in a shop, just a much bigger building.

The problem is that you can get acoustic wave interference, and the sounds will be loader in certain areas and quieter in others. With destructive interference you can actually get complete dead spots.

One way to avoid it would be to run different frequency horns, but then the horns would sound different based on seating. Would be better to just buy a louder air horn.

I work for a company that manufacturers vehicles with air horns.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Just compressed air. It's a dual Buell Marine reed horn.

Hooking up two or more horns would be easy, just run air lines and use electric solenoid valves at the horn. Like running air lines in a shop, just a much bigger building.

The problem is that you can get acoustic wave interference, and the sounds will be loader in certain areas and quieter in others. With destructive interference you can actually get complete dead spots.

One way to avoid it would be to run different frequency horns, but then the horns would sound different based on seating. Would be better to just buy a louder air horn.

I work for a company that manufacturers vehicles with air horns.
Can't they just be next to each other, closer together than the wavelength?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The whole team skated and competed well all night which was good to see.

-Hicketts had an excellent game, physically and making smart plays.

Guy is gonna be on the starting team. 8 defencemen up... Others have to outplay him, or there's absolutely no sense in getting NHL job.

Joe Hicketts does not belong in NHL, but if others can't outplay him, we have a problem (need more development at minors) with other players.

-Svech looked good at times and his shooting was nice, but the thing that stood out to me, was he looks quite un-confident out there at the moment, hopefully he can get some confidence soon.

That for surely is missing game-shape. And typical action after a long-term injury. Confidence comes back only by playing more games, and kind of "forgetting" the knee.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Can't they just be next to each other, closer together than the wavelength?
They would need to be much closer than half the wavelength (half wavelength would actually have perfect destructive interference perpendicular to the source).

But at that point, they might as well get a louder horn, because it won't sound the same anyways. Appears most arenas use Kahlenberg:

They make air horns specifically for sports arenas like the Q3:
Model Q3-483-3 Arena Air Horn | Kahlenberg
141 dB @ 1m, that is what Chicago and 3 other teams use.

Kleinn makes a train horn that's 157 dB, would give us a little different sound. If you look at the list, you can see that the Joe was only one of 2 arenas to use Buell, but Calgary uses the cheap plastic ones. That's why the horn sounded unique, because it's a different brand than the rest of the league.

Edit: And now you know way more about arena air horns than you cared to know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad