Chicago Blackhawks and the playoffs this year - How would they do?

How will Chicago do if they qualify for the playoffs this season?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So I was looking at the standings and notice that as of this posting, Chicago is 3 points out of a playoff spot with 1 game in hand. The west certainly seems wide open - so it feels like Chicago has as good a chance as any of the other teams in that vicinity to end up qualifying for the playoffs.

Unlike all those other teams - Chicago still has a lot of their core intact who had won those 3 cups, especially the big 3 of Toews, Kane and Keith.

How do you see their chances in the playoffs should they qualify? Vote for the option that most closely matches your opinion

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They won't make it. They should be sellers at the deadline.

You're probably right. But the poll is less about asking if you think they make it or not - then it is about asking what you expect if they do make it

As 3 time cup champions, and with the West seemingly wide-open this year after St Louis, do you see them as a legit threat to go far/all the way in the West?

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You're probably right. But the poll is less about asking if you think they make it or not - then it is about asking what you expect if they do make it

As 3 time cup champions, and with the West seemingly wide-open this year after St Louis, do you see them as a legit threat to go far/all the way in the West?
They're a 4 game sweep for Colorado/St Louis, maybe they'll win 1 game against someone in the Pacific.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
If they make it they wont go past the second round. But playoff experience for the young guys would be pretty big.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I took option #1 but they aren't a threat to go all the way, winning a series would be a good season for them and I expected them to be a wildcard team going into the season.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
It's hard to see them as a serious threat, but they do have good goaltending and any team can be beaten with hot enough goaltending. That WC1 spot would also get them into the Pacific bracket.

Last edited:

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Depends on which wild card spot. I don't think any Pacific team dominates them for sure

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Colorado isn’t sweeping anyone
Well you're not wrong Chicago isn't getting swept by anyone, you need to make the playoffs to get swept...

I take it you didn't watch any Chicago/Colorado game this year? I think Hawks fans would agree they weren't particularly close.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think they're too far removed from the cup teams to have any sense of the "know how to win" mentality. There isn't much left from those teams and Toews and Keith aren't the same players anymore. They're a poor defensive team who can have big offensive spurts but overall are average offensively, and they have good goaltending. If Lehner and their offense gets hot, they can win a round, depending on the matchup, as the west is pretty weak, but I can't see them doing much, or beating a team like St. Louis.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They're such an odd duck to project. They've taken that "dreaded" re-tool on the fly approach. So they've still got the absolute core of their "modern day dynasty" core around. A lot of it is driven by very young players filling out the roster right now though.

I could see it going either way. If they fall in behind the proven vets when the pressure is on...it could work. Or it could completely implode if things start to get tense and the legacy of Toews/Kane/Keith starts to overshadow everything, with players deferring too much to their experience and wisdom.

I think one thing that works in Chicago's favour here...is that their core "leaders" from that era are all very different types of personalities. In different places and roles within the team too.

There were series in the Hawks mini-dynasty, where a guy like Toews would basically barely score at all...but he'd totally saw off against an elite opposing line. I think he's probably still capable of that when the chips are down. It'd free up their younger "scoring players" to make the difference. But again...that difference could go either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad