Proposal: Chicago-Arizona

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
To Chicago:

Dave Bolland

To Arizona:

Marian Hossa

Dave Bolland is currently signed at a 5.5 AAV for one more season. He is paid 5.5 million actual dollars next season.

Marian Hossa is currently signed at a 5.275 AAV for 3 more seasons. He is paid 1 million actual dollars for those 3 seasons.

Both players can be (and have been) put on LTIR if the team wishes to remove their cap hit.

Basically, Arizona gets a similar cap hit, but pays less real money over 3 years than they would in one lump sum next season, which should make their owners happy.

Chicago only has to deal with the whole LTIR dance for one more season, rather 3 more, which gives them more flexibility in the off-season to actually make big moves (especially NEXT off-season, given some of the names that might be in play).

Somebody may have to add, let me know what if you think so.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
If we're gonna help bail out Chicago with their cap I'd want the 27th OA as part of the deal. Perhaps a swap of the 27th with our 55th OA?
Seems like way too much value from Chicago’s end. This doesn’t really help Chicago out with cap aside from savings at the deadline, and I think the difference in real money that Chicago is saving Arizona makes up for that.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like way too much value from Chicago’s end. This doesn’t really help Chicago out with cap aside from savings at the deadline, and I think the difference in real money that Chicago is saving Arizona makes up for that.

Up to 80% of salary for players on LTIR can be recouped through insurance, so money really isn't that big of a deal for Bolland's remaining year for the Yotes.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Up to 80% of salary for players on LTIR can be recouped through insurance, so money really isn't that big of a deal for Bolland's remaining year for the Yotes.
Fair enough, again though, why is Chicago trading a low first in a good draft for a second when they don’t save any cap outside the deadline? I don’t foresee Chicago making any huge deadlines deals during that time.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
arent the yotes only on the hook for 20% of bollands salary?
so 1.1mil.

if that is true, they are actually losing nearly 2mil while taking on a ltir headache for 2 more years.
chicago needs to add

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
arent the yotes only on the hook for 20% of bollands salary?
so 1.1mil.

if that is true, they are actually losing nearly 2mil while taking on a ltir headache for 2 more years.
chicago needs to add

I don't know exactly how LTIR + Insurance works, but that's what I gathered from this too. Looks like the coyotes spend an extra 500k? I'm fine helping Chicago out and taking that cap hit, so long as we are paid accordingly for time and money. Maybe a larger deal that bridges the gap, helps Chicago begin a rebuild, and sets the Coyotes up for sustained future success? Not sure what that looks like but just a thought.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe a larger deal that bridges the gap, helps Chicago begin a rebuild, and sets the Coyotes up for sustained future success? Not sure what that looks like but just a thought.

At first glance, I'm really not seeing too much there for a larger deal that makes sense for both teams. I think it's safe to say Murphy, Duke, Hammer, and Panik are not going back to their original teams (lol), while Schmaltz and DeBrincat are untouchable. Which would pretty much leave Anisimov as the only roster guy I'd have interest in, but will be someone who will have a high price tag if he's available.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
At first glance, I'm really not seeing too much there for a larger deal that makes sense for both teams. I think it's safe to say Murphy, Duke, Hammer, and Panik are not going back to their original teams (lol), while Schmaltz and DeBrincat are untouchable. Which would pretty much leave Anisimov as the only roster guy I'd have interest in, but will be someone who will have a high price tag if he's available.

Yea there may not be anything, was just a thought. I'm sure the idea is to clear a few of the cap anchors to try and continue to compete, which leaves no impact roster players available. Moving up from 55 to 30/31 isn't the worst thing for 500k over 3 years.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Chicago only has to deal with the whole LTIR dance for one more season, rather 3 more, which gives them more flexibility in the off-season to actually make big moves (especially NEXT off-season, given some of the names that might be in play).

Somebody may have to add, let me know what if you think so.

Easy solution for you.
Tell Hossa to suddenly not be allergic to his equipment anymore, just like when he got a pay cut he became suddenly allergic. Then Hawks management and fans wouldnt have to worry about the awful and unjust LTIR "dance", or as most teams would call it - cheating.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Easy solution for you.
Tell Hossa to suddenly not be allergic to his equipment anymore, just like when he got a pay cut he became suddenly allergic. Then Hawks management and fans wouldnt have to worry about the awful and unjust LTIR "dance", or as most teams would call it - cheating.

So last 3 to 4 years he just kept not going to morning skates because he doesnt have the power in his legs or he is tired or something? Do you watch him play?

He didnt show up in morning skates because they were reducing his time with equipment due the allergies because the freaking steroid or what medication he is using would basically kill him.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Easy solution for you.

The dance comment wasn't about the LTIR being illegitimate. It's completely legitimate.

But putting the 5+mil on and taking it off every off-season impedes the team's flexibility to make moves.

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Easy solution for you.

Except if he were actually healthy he would’ve you know played in the olympics or world championships for Slovakia and be their best forward.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
So last 3 to 4 years he just kept not going to morning skates because he doesnt have the power in his legs or he is tired or something? Do you watch him play?

He didnt show up in morning skates because they were reducing his time with equipment due the allergies because the freaking steroid or what medication he is using would basically kill him.

Ill play along.
So he could handle all of that pain and supposed near death experience from steroidal cream when he was making
2013-14: 7.9m
2014-15: 7.9m
2015-16: 7.9m
2016-17: 4m

but when its time to fulfill the contract he signed he could no longer tolerate it when hes due ot make
2017-18: 1m
2018-19: 1m
2019-20: 1m
2020-2021: 1m

He signed a 12 year contract at age 30, he nor Chicago never intended to complete the contract. He was meant to hang them up when he did - the last 4 years were to just circumvent the cap. Which was accomplished congrats.
If he retired the cap recapture penalty against the Hawks would have been too large and crippled them so instead both agreed to say it was his allergy that caused him to stop playing and got LTIRed.
Sure he has an allergy but it is clearly hyperbolized.

I applaud the Hawks for doing what they did. They saw an opportunity and planned it perfectly, kept Hossa satisfied and key cog in 3 cups. Rules are meant to be bent. And they never got caught by the NHL so according to Glenn Sathers line of "It isnt cheating if you dont get caught" what they did isnt cheating. Just dont dent what the Hawks did wasnt sleezy.
As a fan of a team who takes most advantage of IR and cap circumvention i'm not sure why you're so shocked?

Last edited by a moderator:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
My momma raised me the right way, so instead of calling you a moron ill just call you a homer.

Ill play along.
So he could handle all of that pain and supposed near death experience from steroidal cream when he was making
2013-14: 7.9m
2014-15: 7.9m
2015-16: 7.9m
2016-17: 4m

but when its time to fulfill the contract he signed he could no longer tolerate it when hes due ot make
2017-18: 1m
2018-19: 1m
2019-20: 1m
2020-2021: 1m

He signed a 12 year contract at age 30, he nor Chicago never intended to complete the contract. He was meant to hang them up when he did - the last 4 years were to just circumvent the cap. Which was accomplished congrats.
If he retired the cap recapture penalty against the Hawks would have been too large and crippled them so instead both agreed to say it was his allergy that caused him to stop playing and got LTIRed.
Sure he has an allergy but it is clearly hyperbolized.

I applaud the Hawks for doing what they did. They saw an opportunity and planned it perfectly, kept Hossa satisfied and key cog in 3 cups. Rules are meant to be bent. And they never got caught by the NHL so according to Glenn Sathers line of "It isnt cheating if you dont get caught" what they did isnt cheating. Just dont dent what the Hawks did wasnt sleezy.
As a fan of a team who takes most advantage of IR and cap circumvention i'm not sure why you're so shocked?

It wasn't the allergy that stopped him from playing.

It was the medication for the allergy which forced him to retire. Because taking medication that strong, your kidneys and liver can only take so much. At some point your body is going to give out and die.

Would you prefer he complete his contract and die?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Hossa retired, didn't he?

No.

He confirmed he can't play anymore because of his condition, putting to bed any remaining hope/doubt that he might return at some point in the future. But he's still on the books as a player on LTIR.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
No.

He confirmed he can't play anymore because of his condition, putting to bed any remaining hope/doubt that he might return at some point in the future. But he's still on the books as a player on LTIR.

Still. No reason to actually do this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00