Injury Report: Chiarot cleared to play, Postma on IR (Little, Perreault and Buff all healthy)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The point is that if the Jets had lost their last two games, we'd be on life support now, the sense of urgency would be much higher. But now Maurice can afford to rest the borderline ready guys like Buff and Little a few more games. Maurice would never admit it, but I'm sure that's factoring into his decision.

Edit: Guys on TSN 1290 just agreed with this theory.

That certainly doesn't prove it. All it takes is a loss or 2 and you are on the outside. The urgency will be there until the off season. If Little's ready he is back in. The Jets have shown they won't rush in players until they are ready.

And the original statement was that Little is partially being held out because Maurice wants to maintain his lineup. Which is mostly what people are seeing as far fetched.

Jets2014

Feb 8, 2014
That certainly doesn't prove it. All it takes is a loss or 2 and you are on the outside. The urgency will be there until the off season. If Little's ready he is back in. The Jets have shown they won't rush in players until they are ready.

It really is a silly theory, at this point in the season Little and Buff are playing if it is just a matter of playing through pain. With a shoulder injury you risk a much more serious injury coming back early. But if TSN 1290 guys agree with this there has to be some truth.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It really is a silly theory, at this point in the season Little and Buff are playing if it is just a matter of playing through pain. With a shoulder injury you risk a much more serious injury coming back early. But if TSN 1290 guys agree with this there has to be some truth.

You said it in the first part of your post. If they are still hurt and risk further injury they will be held out. For all we know the doctors have yet to clear them and it is irrelevant what Maurice wants.

And again I think people were mostly reacting to the idea that Maurice was holding out players because he didn't want to disrupt a winning lineup. IMO this would never apply to a #1 center, your top d-man or top 6 wingers.

Edit: Maurice just said in the pre-game interview that Little and Buff are close but aren't ready yet. You need to be careful with their types of injuries or risk losing them for longer.

Last edited:

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
The point is that if the Jets had lost their last two games, we'd be on life support now, the sense of urgency would be much higher. But now Maurice can afford to rest the borderline ready guys like Buff and Little a few more games. Maurice would never admit it, but I'm sure that's factoring into his decision.

Edit: Guys on TSN 1290 just agreed with this theory.

This, no doubt.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Maurice can afford to sit his #1C and a #1-2D man? Yeah, I highly doubt it. If they were medically cleared, they'd be playing.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
Maurice can afford to sit his #1C and a #1-2D man? Yeah, I highly doubt it. If they were medically cleared, they'd be playing.

I think the debate is between medically cleared and ready to play. I think if need be and it was vital they would and could both play. When you are playing like the Jets are playing right now, it makes more sense to err on the side of caution with those guys.

I also think their might be a little belief that they do not want to mess with what is working right now, and when they finally do lose a game, bringing in those two in the game after will provide a huge boost.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think the debate is between medically cleared and ready to play. I think if need be and it was vital they would and could both play. When you are playing like the Jets are playing right now, it makes more sense to err on the side of caution with those guys.

I also think their might be a little belief that they do not want to mess with what is working right now, and when they finally do lose a game, bringing in those two in the game after will provide a huge boost.

I agree, but: if they were medically cleared they'd be playing, IMHO. I absolutely do NOT believe that you keep two of the top players in the league to out of the line-up in order to "not mess with chemistry" - I have a hard time believing that inserting Little would make us a worse team.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Perrault should draw in tonight. Little and Chiarot may be staggered, but I would excpect them to be in the lineup by the end of the home stand. The issue now is to get injured players back into game shape without compromising the team game. Perrault was centering Halischuk and Thorburn, conceivably that is not a permanent role, but one to help him get back into game shape (4th line matchup vs 1st line). Little will eventually push Lowry back into the 3rd line, one would think. Byfuglien did not look particularly sharp defensively against Montreal, and may take a few games. You might expect the same with Chiarot, you want to get him some playing time, essentially, before the playoffs. However he has to fit into the lineup, and you don't want to alter roles too much (for instance Pardy has been a rock on the PK, taking him out of the lineup may impact the team negatively), and we still need points.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
When Buff was injured we were told it wasn't just one injury, but rather a pileup of several things he was dealing with. No doubt the present situation is an extension of that. There's no point in bringing him back one game early if we lose him for the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When Buff was injured we were told it wasn't just one injury, but rather a pileup of several things he was dealing with. No doubt the present situation is an extension of that. There's no point in bringing him back one game early if we lose him for the playoffs.

Little was playing hurt for a long time before he was taken out of the lineup. I'm not sure how long it was but it seemed like weeks that he didn't practice. I'm assuming he finally came out when he got an additional injury. So, yeah it is complicated.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Good news.

Hopefully Toby is OK. If he is, they are pretty much completely healthy :nod:

Toby day-to-day. Does that mean three weeks?:sarcasm:

Lately, "day-to-day" has meant 10 games or so with the Jets. I hope we see Toby back on this road trip.

In the meantime, I'm glad Chiarot is back. It'll be good for him to see a bit of action before the final couple of games.

I hope that against the Flames they can run their top D...

Enstrom-Myers
Stuart-Trouba
Chiarot-Buff.

I'd also like to see him shorten the D against the Flames, if necessary, to go with a top 4 of Enstrom-Myers and Buff-Trouba.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
If I had to wager a guess on Enstrom, it's either his wrist or a finger. Doubt any broken bones. More likely a sprain, given what I saw on TV.
So long as it isn't a blown ligament, he should be able to play through it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If I had to wager a guess on Enstrom, it's either his wrist or a finger. Doubt any broken bones. More likely a sprain, given what I saw on TV.
So long as it isn't a blown ligament, he should be able to play through it.

The first thing I thought was shoulder. I thought he got a burner and maybe a strain. He's had a few shoulder problems recently and anyone who's had em knows sometimes just a bit or pressure in the wrong direction can cause problems.

Hope he's back soon. We need him. (duh :) )

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Toby's injury is to his shoulder, If you pause the game at one point when the trainer is talking to Maurice shortly after the Injury, you can read the trainers lips for sure and he say " the shoulder popped out and back in again".

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
Toby's injury is to his shoulder, If you pause the game at one point when the trainer is talking to Maurice shortly after the Injury, you can read the trainers lips for sure and he say " the shoulder popped out and back in again".

I thought the same thing- seems like Toby has a loose shoulder. Depending on the severity of the dislocation( any soft tissue or ligament damage) this can be minor. So there is at least hope that the day to day prediction is factual.
I for one am not holding my breath- I see the Chariot release from IR as the stop gap for Enstrom being more injured than currently reported.
Hope not... but this injury bug the Jets have is quite formidable.:(

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
hopefully Chiarot can hit the ground running and fill in with Myers if need be. I don't think we will see Toby over the next couple of games but you never know.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
if Toby's healthy, chiarot sits.
why PoMo puts Harrison ahead of him on the depth chart is beyond me.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
The first thing I thought was shoulder. I thought he got a burner and maybe a strain. He's had a few shoulder problems recently and anyone who's had em knows sometimes just a bit or pressure in the wrong direction can cause problems.

Hope he's back soon. We need him. (duh :) )

It very well could be his shoulder, hopefully not though. If it were a dislocated shoulder, I would think he wouldn't be day-to-day.
And in regards to the therapist, I read his lips as saying "he is not coming back out".

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I didn't see the game, but by the description of the injury it sure sounds like a recurrent shoulder dislocation.

It very well could be his shoulder, hopefully not though. If it were a dislocated shoulder, I would think he wouldn't be day-to-day.
You would be surprised. People with recurrent shoulder dislocations can have such looseness of the joint that very minor movements in the wrong direction can cause the shoulder to pop out and in with minimal additional damage.
The good news is that Toby could be back very soon. The bad news, as I have suspected fro a while, is that he probably will have to get long overdue shoulder surgery in the off season.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
if Toby's healthy, chiarot sits.
why PoMo puts Harrison ahead of him on the depth chart is beyond me.

What makes you think Harrison is above Chiarot on the depth chart?

Ben was playing huge minutes before his injury... Harrison was not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad