News Article: Chiarelli thinks that the Oilers will not make SC playoffs

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
IMO if this team and maybe more importantly the coaching staff woke up it could still happen. Basically we'd need:

1) Connor, Drai and Talbot all to be at least as good as last season
2) Todd to get Puljujarvi onto the top PP unit and for him to take a step forward and be a 20ish goal guy
3) Klefbom to wake up and Sekera to return in mid season form
4) Replace Letestu and hold Kassian accountable for a brutal season
5) Add a scoring forward for relatively cheap
94 points made playoffs last year.
We are...
8-13-2 18 points in 23 games

In the remaining 59 games we need 76 points which works out to roughly

38-21-0

So really close to winning 2/3 of the rest of the season. I mean it's doable but this team has still 1-7-0 after winning a game. This team has only put together 2 winning games in a row ONCE this season. 7 points back from a playoff spot and 3 points out if last. For us to do well 2-3 teams above us need to completely fall apart.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And in this case if this team is as bad as every one says or thinks, then he did one hell of a job last year with over 90 games and should get this year at least.
I don't know how you cant see that they have quit in the coach. It's as obvious as the sky is blue

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes let's spend another several years to discover that Chiarelli is a bad GM. What a smart franchise this is, so much has changed since Lowe (not). You know who else is begging for us to keep Chiarelli and praying he doesn't get fired? Every single Flames fan. I hear this in Calgary all the time not even exaggerating.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yes let's spend another several years to discover that Chiarelli is a bad GM. What a smart franchise this is, so much has changed since Lowe (not). You know who else is begging for us to keep Chiarelli and praying he doesn't get fired? Every single Flames fan. I hear this in Calgary all the time not even exaggerating.

Fans really don’t have a sniff of he’s good or bad. That’s the funny part.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The bigger issue is the goals against

They are one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, their defense is INFINITELY worse than last season (not just Klefbom) and the goaltending has been subpar, not to mention the long list of curious Mclellan decisions. EVERYTHING is an issue.
Talbot and Klefbom didn't even play against Buffalo and they played their worst game of the season basically getting shut out so again, there are problems everywhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fans really don’t have a sniff of he’s good or bad. That’s the funny part.

Go drive down to Calgary. Peter Chiarelli is more popular than Santa Claus. They love this guy, I've had multiple people here plead not to fire him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Like I said, fans don’t know.

Have you ever considered this group is the one that's wrong. They are going to the playoffs yet again with no benefit of a McLottery and this franchise yet again shows up to work forgetting to put on their pants.

Say what you want about them but at least the Flames are not a gong show and have some professionalism in how they operate unlike the Lowe-style that permeates the continual failure here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know how you cant see that they have quit in the coach. It's as obvious as the sky is blue
They’ve certainly quit on something, either on the coach or themselves. I don’t think it matters which. The question is whether the coach can solve the problem. So far he hasn’t.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
They’ve certainly quit on something, either on the coach or themselves. I don’t think it matters which. The question is whether the coach can solve the problem. So far he hasn’t.

This I agree with. If he can’t straighten it out, off season he might be gone.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
And in this case if this team is as bad as every one says or thinks, then he did one hell of a job last year with over 90 games and should get this year at least.

The team looks pretty bad. McLellan keeps saying the same things over and over: they don't do things fast enough. That's what separates the NHL from the AHL (and below). I just watched the rangers/canucks game and, yeah, we don't do things fast enough. It could be coaching, or it could be that the bulk of the players are incapable of 'doing things fast enough'.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team looks pretty bad. McLellan keeps saying the same things over and over: they don't do things fast enough. That's what separates the NHL from the AHL (and below). I just watched the rangers/canucks game and, yeah, we don't do things fast enough. It could be coaching, or it could be that the bulk of the players are incapable of 'doing things fast enough'.

GM trades Taylor Hall for a no offence D, brings in slow players, one year later is stunned he has a slow team. Yep none of this is predictable at all.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Last year we were saying they should keep Trevelling and Gultzan forever. Teams get mocked during bad seasons. Who cares what Flames fans think of the Oiler?

Reactions: StupidGenius

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Last year we were saying they should keep Trevelling and Gultzan forever. Teams get mocked during bad seasons. Who cares what Flames fans think of the Oiler?

Or the 29 other fanbases that are laughing. Clearly they just don't know the magic that Chiarelli has. He's going to make a great trade any minute now. Yup aaaaaaany minute Peter.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
GM trades Taylor Hall for a no offence D, brings in slow players, one year later is stunned he has a slow team. Yep none of this is predictable at all.

I don't think that everything happening right now could have been predicted. Hall wasn't here last year. However, the fact that Cammaleri is now (and it doesn't matter for how long) on the top line doesn't bode well for Chia. Every pass is telegraphed. The puck is continuously over-handled. There is no flow whatsoever. It looks like the team just sucks, but I can't say for certain what the problem is even now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad