News Article: Chiarelli thinks that the Oilers will not make SC playoffs

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why does every one think Russell was a failure? Hell without him we are the worst team in the league.

We should of sold high on Klefdum and Talbot, they are way bigger reason why this team is bad this year then Russell and replacing Eberle with Strome.

Ridiculous to even say that. Almost as ridiculous as saying that they should deal Draisaitl for 1 year of OEL and another poster saying that Arizona would never take that because of Draisaitl's "albatross" contract.
Eberle thinks the Edmonton media is bad? He should read this board if he really wants to see the very worst of the Edmonton market.

Reactions: Still DRAI

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Ridiculous to even say that. Almost as ridiculous as saying that they should deal Draisaitl for 1 year of OEL and another poster saying that Arizona would never take that because of Draisaitl's "albatross" contract.
Eberle thinks the Edmonton media is bad? He should read this board if he really wants to see the very worst of the Edmonton market.

I’m stating those 2 players are the biggest factor of our team doing bad.

Chia should of went for seen that, if you blame him at all for this year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I’m stating those 2 players are the biggest factor of our team doing bad.

Chia should of went for seen that, if you blame him at all for this year.

That's not the part of your statement that I took issue with, it's the "should have sold high" with Talbot and Klefbom statement. So you think they should have dealt Talbot and Klefbom in the offseason?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
That's not the part of your statement that I took issue with, it's the "should have sold high" with Talbot and Klefbom statement. So you think they should have dealt Talbot and Klefbom in the offseason?

I think for Chia to take any blame this season, the fans have to admit the problem has been Klefbom and Talbot more then anything else. So he should of sold high this summer for any argument on Chia to be fired.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think for Chia to take any blame this season, the fans have to admit the problem has been Klefbom and Talbot more then anything else. So he should of sold high this summer for any argument on Chia to be fired.

But that's not the whole story.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
But that's not the whole story.

Its a huge part of the story, average goaltending has us a 500 team at min.

Klefbom on pace for 24 points, had 38 last season. I know fans dont like +/- but he was +7 last year, and is -14, pretty much matches the eye test.

If Chia could of for seen those 2 very big regressions, he should of traded them in for upgrades this summer.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Klefbom on pace for 24 points, had 38 last season. I know fans dont like +/- but he was +7 last year, and is -14, pretty much matches the eye test.

And the part where they are 26th in the league in GF?

If Chia could of for seen those 2 very big regressions, he should of traded them in for upgrades this summer.

Even if he was that prescient, it doesn't follow that he should have traded them or could have gotten upgrades.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

Just so I'm clear.
You are saying that it was impossible for Chirelli to predict that Kefbom and others would fall off of a cliff, and therefore shouldn't be blamed?

If that is what you are saying, I agree.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
And the part where they are 26th in the league in GF?

Even if he was that prescient, it doesn't follow that he should have traded them or could have gotten upgrades.

That 26th for GF is only .3 goals less then last year, look at our GA, that is .5 more then last year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bottom line is it's November in the third year of the "McDavid era" and the team is flirting with last place and all we have to look forward to this year now is probably the draft lottery for the rest of the season barring a miracle.

But sure, lets give this GM more time, it's what this franchise does. No accountability ever, keep rewarding failure at the management/coaching level with multiple opportunities until they damage the franchise so badly that it requires several more years to repair said damage.

Most NHL franchises run themselves like a business. Not this one. And they get the results they deserve. 10/11 years out of the playoffs, worst franchise in this league, probably one of the worst in all of pro sports. That's what you get.

This franchise will never have sustained success until they cut the sentimentality bull shit and operate like every other competent NHL franchise. McLellan and Chiarelli would be fired already in many, many other successful teams if this was the result.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're on pace to score 23 fewer goals at ES than last season. That seems like a bit of an issue to me.

Scoring is also up to the rest of the league. Which is a problem, Oilers should be scoring more this year like everyone else is, not less.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
What are you guys thinking do we have changes to make playoffs. I am leaning to the direction that the ship needs to be turn around quickly. Sekera will be back soon but if we are below 0.500 hockey I do not see a chance.

I read the following blog
Chiarelli talks Oilers struggles and #GeneralDisappointment

Chiarelli's comments were absolute shock. If we are out of the race would you fire him or trade expiring contracts at dead line and let him fix the problem

does anyone think this group of misfits will make the playoffs

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Bottom line is it's November in the third year of the "McDavid era" and the team is flirting with last place and all we have to look forward to this year now is probably the draft lottery for the rest of the season barring a miracle.

But sure, lets give this GM more time, it's what this franchise does. No accountability ever, keep rewarding failure at the management/coaching level with multiple opportunities until they damage the franchise so badly that it requires several more years to repair said damage.

Most NHL franchises run themselves like a business. Not this one. And they get the results they deserve. 10/11 years out of the playoffs, worst franchise in this league, probably one of the worst in all of pro sports. That's what you get.

This franchise will never have sustained success until they cut the sentimentality bull **** and operate like every other competent NHL franchise. McLellan and Chiarelli would be fired already in many, many other successful teams if this was the result.

Your not going to like it, but the President/GM is his own boss and isn’t going anywhere. Really as he shouldn’t.

I know fans have a hard time with a 20 game sample size but the 82 last year is a much better indication how how he has done so far.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your not going to like it, but the President/GM is his own boss and isn’t going anywhere. Really as he shouldn’t.

I know fans have a hard time with a 20 game sample size but the 82 last year is a much better indication how how he has done so far.

Franchise will continue to flounder and probably miss next year too if that's how they want to run it. Incompetence is only rewarded in Edmonton. They get the results they deserve for their lame cronyism. No one is different from Lowe, 2/3 years of no playoffs with Connor McDavid is the end result of this garbage. No accountability for this clown show ever.

No other team in the league accepts incompetence like this franchise does. They deserve fully to be laughed at by Leafs fans, their franchise is miles better.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

So because the team did good last year it makes him a GM?

Just like the MSM. When the team does good, it's because of good coaching and management. When the team does bad, can't be them, has to be the bad star players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They will make the playoffs...
Just not this year :P

IMO if this team and maybe more importantly the coaching staff woke up it could still happen. Basically we'd need:

1) Connor, Drai and Talbot all to be at least as good as last season
2) Todd to get Puljujarvi onto the top PP unit and for him to take a step forward and be a 20ish goal guy
3) Klefbom to wake up and Sekera to return in mid season form
4) Replace Letestu and hold Kassian accountable for a brutal season
5) Add a scoring forward for relatively cheap

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So because the team did good last year it makes him a GM?

Just like the MSM. When the team does good, it's because of good coaching and management. When the team does bad, can't be them, has to be the bad star players.

IMO we need to see this team under a new coach to determine if it's the GM's mess or the coaches. That's the reason why coaches usually get canned before GM's.

Reactions: ujju2

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
IMO we need to see this team under a new coach to determine if it's the GM's mess or the coaches. That's the reason why coaches usually get canned before GM's.

And in this case if this team is as bad as every one says or thinks, then he did one hell of a job last year with over 90 games and should get this year at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad