Proposal: Chiarelli new replacement

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
They are going to replace Chia with a Magic 8 Ball. Should be a big upgrade on what we've had for the last 10 years.

space321

May 11, 2011
They are going to replace Chia with a Magic 8 Ball. Should be a big upgrade on what we've had for the last 10 years.

"Should we trade for Reinhart?"

ask again later

"should we trade Hall for Larsson?"

ask again later

we would have a better team now if it had been a magic 8 ball deciding trades

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Dont know why Yzerman is the solution. He was gifted the near lowest tax brackets in Florida to build his team. His drafting was good however, but does his scouting team come with him?

You might be putting a bit too much stock in the taxes thing. The Panthers and Stars on the same level and have had nowhere near the success of Tampa. Yzerman has also made big trades, and opposite to Chia, has actually won them all. His handling on the Drouin situation, getting a #1 dman McDonaugh and top-6 winger for almost the same price that Chiarelli spent on Griffin Reinhart.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Just get anyone in there for an interim gm and lets close this nasty chapter.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I wanted briesbois or Fenton both are off the market starting new jobs.

Of guys like Lombardi hunter avaialve I'd want hunter.

I expect Keith gretzky or to a lesser extent messier/MacTavish.

f*** Katz and this organization

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
Chiarelli will be only be POHO after this season and Keith Gretzky will be GM and Oilers will continue to do Oiler things forever.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Resigned to the idea it will obviously be K. Gretzky.

Just hope he is actually a secret genius that is being suppressed for now by the idiots above him and he gets the freedom required when he gets the job.

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just about every GM candidate I've wanted in the past has been snatched up, I'd think Mark Hunter and Michael Futa would do a better job, but I'm not as sure about them as I was with previous hires. Norm MacIver who has some Oiler connections is probably worth an interview as well, whomever is hired we really need to take the hatchet to some of the front office and our pro scouts, hopefully Katz would have the sense to not interfere since the boys on the bus and friends hirings haven't worked out over the past couple decades.

lazyriver

Jan 1, 2019
I said this in the other thread but the two guys that I would like them to consider are Mark Hunter and Bill Guerin. The more I investigate the more Guerin appeals to me.
I really like this idea. Guerin has been gaining experience for the past few years in Pittsburgh where they seem to know how to build around talent. Hunter has an great eye for young talent and I doubt anyone would push him around when it comes to trades.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No smart gm would touch this team with a 100 foot pole regardless of money.

This right here is why I feel it's completely pointless to even discuss or dream about who the next GM will be.

No one with a good track record is going to be willing to come here.

The only one with a decent track record who maybe would be willing to sign here that I can think of is Dean Lombardi, and I'm not sure he's any better than Chia as he did the exact same thing to LA as Chia did to Boston and is now doing here.

You're probably better off running with Keith Gretzky as the GM, at least on an interim basis.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This right here is why I feel it's completely pointless to even discuss or dream about who the next GM will be.

No one with a good track record is going to be willing to come here.

The only one with a decent track record who maybe would be willing to sign here that I can think of is Dean Lombardi, and I'm not sure he's any better than Chia as he did the exact same thing to LA as Chia did to Boston and is now doing here.

You're probably better off running with Keith Gretzky as the GM, at least on an interim basis.
The bolded is stupid and not correct.

You're last point is most likely and probably best case for right now. Let Keith Gretzky and Hitchcock run things through the end of the year, see where the team is at and likely get all new management and coaches.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not too sure about Keith Gretzky to be honest. Rather bring in a guy that can identify pro players not amateur players.

We need someone that can come in and get this team into the playoffs ASAP. Yes the amateur side is important, but if we didn't make a single pick in 2019 I'd be fine with that.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The bolded is stupid and not correct.

You're last point is most likely and probably best case for right now. Let Keith Gretzky and Hitchcock run things through the end of the year, see where the team is at and likely get all new management and coaches.

You might want to clarify that statement and tell me why I'm wrong instead of just saying it's "stupid".

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You might want to clarify that statement and tell me why I'm wrong instead of just saying it's "stupid".
Damn near everyone would want to work with the best player in the world.

It also shouldn't be hard to convince Katz that the OBC needs to be wiped off the map as well.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What do you like about Guerin?
He has a been a relatively hot commodity despite only having retired a few years ago. He has headed Pittsburgh's player development, has been the assistant GM under Rutherford and is no the GM of WBS. I like the fact that he understands skill but is bright enough to have been made the analytics guy for the Pens. He's always been a respected person in hockey circles. And fro better or worse he has Oiler connections so he might actually bite on the job.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has a been a relatively hot commodity despite only having retired a few years ago. He has headed Pittsburgh's player development, has been the assistant GM under Rutherford and is no the GM of WBS. I like the fact that he understands skill but is bright enough to have been made the analytics guy for the Pens. He's always been a respected person in hockey circles. And fro better or worse he has Oiler connections so he might actually bite on the job.
I don't get how anyone can say no to a GM job that is in his position. Unless there is a family issue. Guys just don't pass up on GM jobs all that much to begin with, let alone the chance to be with Mcdavid.

Look how easy it was for Hitch to leave a place where he had a very long history. That and he was somewhat retired.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't get how anyone can say no to a GM job that is in his position. Unless there is a family issue. Guys just don't pass up on GM jobs all that much to begin with, let alone the chance to be with Mcdavid.

Look how easy it was for Hitch to leave a place where he had a very long history. That and he was somewhat retired.

I agree. That last comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Getting someone like Yzerman to come to Edmonton is one thing but a guy looking for his first GM job would probably only pass it up if there was a better competing offer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I agree. That last comment was a bit tongue in cheek. Getting someone like Yzerman to come to Edmonton is one thing but a guy looking for his first GM job would probably only pass it up if there was a better competing offer.
There just isn't a lot of guys that can pass up GM jobs period. Especially when you look at how many newer GM's there are in the NHL right now. Now for a guy that has never been a GM with any sort of track record to pass, I just don't see it. Not unless you are prioritizing your family and don't want to up root them.

The other question I have is how many GM jobs are there going to be in the next couple years? 9 teams have hired new GM's since 2017. Bunch more in 16. Just not a lot of turnover should be expected in the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad