Injury Report: Chia: Sekera torn ACL - out 6-9 months

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Don't think they want Pouliot's salary. They can reach the cap floor with better players than that.

I guess, I mean they do HAVE to draft a team that is atleast 60% of the salary cap, it's not like they can draft largely cheap and then sign guys to get to the floor.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I guess, I mean they do HAVE to draft a team that is atleast 60% of the salary cap, it's not like they can draft largely cheap and then sign guys to get to the floor.

Yeah but there's plenty of salary to be had elsewhere. I can see one of Lehtonen or Fleury in net for them too + a young guy like Grubauer.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This sucks, next year is the year we have to go for it. I dont know what to think, Sekera's LTIR wont help with Mcdavids bonuses. I think at this point you have to move him if he's open to it.

Yes because Pittsburgh and Chicago's window slammed shut after year 3, lol.

It feels like Getzlaf has been playing for 30 years, and their window is still going.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I can see him ready to go in December. These athletes get the best doctors and rehab resources in the world.

Worst case he starts after Christmas.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
I can see him ready to go in December. These athletes get the best doctors and rehab resources in the world.

Worst case he starts after Christmas.

There's nothing definite around ACL injuries. Recovery time varies widely, and depends on lots of factors outside doctors and rehab. Speculating on his return time is pointless. A slight setback or aggravating his graft could easily push his return back months

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
There's nothing definite around ACL injuries. Recovery time varies widely, and depends on lots of factors outside doctors and rehab. Speculating on his return time is pointless. A slight setback or aggravating his graft could easily push his return back months

He will heal way faster then me or you, just due to resources around him. Also add in hes one hell of a athlete to start with.

How many players have you heard of having months set backs?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Yes because Pittsburgh and Chicago's window slammed shut after year 3, lol.

It feels like Getzlaf has been playing for 30 years, and their window is still going.

And Pittsburgh's won how many cups since drafting Crosby? Im not saying that we wont contend, I'm saying next year was the year to go all in for a cup and then re-tool and hopefully be able to go after another one in a year or two after.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This sucks, next year is the year we have to go for it. I dont know what to think, Sekera's LTIR wont help with Mcdavids bonuses. I think at this point you have to move him if he's open to it.

What...? :help:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Bonuses can't be used against the LTIR. So another year where we could have to be paying attention to overages for next season. Also means we can't use Sekera's money on signing someone else.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Bonuses can't be used against the LTIR. So another year where we could have to be paying attention to overages for next season. Also means we can't use Sekera's money on signing someone else.
Meh. Sekera at most will be gone half a season and Mcdavid is the only guy who will hit his bonuses next year.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Players on LTIR are on Injured Reserved, but the club has applied for and received a salary cap exemption. This allows the club to exceed the upper limit of the salary cap if it has been reached.

If the salary cap is $72 million, your team is at $70 million, and you have a player placed on LTIR the day the season starts with a cap hit of $4 million, your team is able to spend up to $74 million if that player remains on LTIR is out the entire season.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
He will heal way faster then me or you, just due to resources around him. Also add in hes one hell of a athlete to start with.

How many players have you heard of having months set backs?

Even money won't recover the blood flow back to the knee faster than biology dedicates.

Acl reconstruction destroys the mobility of the knee and thigh muscles but he will have constant rehab and the knee should be 100% after 12-18 months.

Getting back to contact sports is possible after 6 months but the knee won't be 100% at that point. That's for certain.

Setbacks aren't that common even with the common people.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Out 6-9 months and not on LTIR? How's that possible?

LTIR doesn't apply during the offseason, and only kicks in if they need to go over on regular salaries to replace him. If they do that then they have to make cap room for when he is back in November/December. You don't trade an injured player like that either lol.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Personally I think GMs or coaches always say the injury is longer than it will actually be. Its much better to under promise and over deliver on timetables. Remember how Nurse came back super early when he was supposed to be out for much longer.

Id bet its closer to 5/6 months than 9. But then again I dont know much about ACL injuries. Just havent seen many ACL injuries for players take over 6 months. Wisniewski completely destroyed ACL and was out 6 months (well didnt get a NHL gig after but was ready). Anything over 6 months seems very drastic

First thing I thought of after watching the replay of the hit that night was that it was probably his knee. The way he went into the boards reminded me of Doug Weights injury when he was here. I'm going off memory here so I could be wrong but i think the Oilers gave a timeline of 9 months to a year for that one back then. Those are ugly injuries.

Going off that and the immediate response from Mclellan saying he'll be out for a while,in the middle of a playoff series when nobody tells the truth about injuries, made me think it had to be something really bad and definitive. Not even concussions are that definitive so I figured it had to be his knee.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He said the hit didn't look like much, he was skeptical of the injury being serious enough to put Sekera out for the series, and then pointed to his heart and said that's what the issue might be.

I don't watch the NHL on NBC so I haven't heard much from Roenick since he retired. I understand now why most of the guys on the main boards say he has the same level of **** for brains as Mike Milbury does.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
LTIR doesn't apply during the offseason, and only kicks in if they need to go over on regular salaries to replace him. If they do that then they have to make cap room for when he is back in November/December. You don't trade an injured player like that either lol.

I know how it works. Which is why I said it hurts us more with the bonuses. We can't go over the cap with Mcdavids bonuses as it will carry over to next year with Sekera on LTIR. And November is dreaming for an ACL, most likely February, maybe early January if things go well.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I know how it works. Which is why I said it hurts us more with the bonuses. We can't go over the cap with Mcdavids bonuses as it will carry over to next year with Sekera on LTIR. And November is dreaming for an ACL, most likely February, maybe early January if things go well.

could you offer russell a try-out and then sign him during the season once Sekera is off the books?

If they spend all that cap so they need to do something like that then they will be unloading contracts in the season anyway.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Hopefully we can nab Michael Stone

Klefbom Larsson
Russell Benning
Nurse Stone

decent filler.

Sign me up. Stone and Russell at two years each, ditch Gryba for Reinhart, hope for progression from Benning and Nurse and that's a top 15 blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad