Injury Report: Chia: Sekera torn ACL - out 6-9 months

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I've become alot more okay with resigning Russell. This will take him out past first month of year (so not terrible) but won't train this summer so likely taking him a month to get back to speed. So 2/3 months of actual season missed

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Well, I guess re-signing Russell just became a bit more likely.

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - XXXX
Nurse - Benning

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Months? Please tell me he meant to say weeks.

That is big trouble if they think Nurse or Benning are ready to take that spot. They are not. We'll need a vet to fill that spot.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
W5phfc.gif

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Are we really blaming the Ducks for this one? That was such a nothing play.

Anyway, happened at basically the worst possible time. Next season is pretty much a write off for him.

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
They cannot replace him with Russell.

Russell isn't even close to the defenseman Sekera is.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oilers are due for one major injury a year. Atleast this one came end of season

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
They cannot replace him with Russell.

Russell isn't even close to the defenseman Sekera is.

While this is true, they can't replace him with Kris Russell because Kris Russell was already there.

The Oilers will definitely re-sign him now, and I think they MUST acquire another serious D. Treat Sekera's midseason return like it's a trade deadline acquisition.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
What have other guys timelines been for this injury?

Seems I thought most were like 4-6 months, no? 6-9 months seems pretty long.

Did Chia say if he has had the surgery yet?

Glass Eyes

Jan 2, 2017
While this is true, they can't replace him with Kris Russell because Kris Russell was already there.

The Oilers will definitely re-sign him now, and I think they MUST acquire another serious D. Treat Sekera's midseason return like it's a trade deadline acquisition.

Why would they definitely re-sign him? He wants a multi year deal, 4 years at 4M. That's insane to give with this teams cap situation. You don't sign him for multiple years because Sekera's hurt. You find another stop gap.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Does this change anything regarding expansion protection?

Take a run at Tanev?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Why would they definitely re-sign him? He wants a multi year deal, 4 years at 4M. That's insane to give with this teams cap situation. You don't sign him for multiple years because Sekera's hurt. You find another stop gap.

Going into the season with 2 top 4 D is asking for trouble. And there's little guarantee Sekera will be at peak performance when he returns.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
But it's going to seep into next season too. Losing a forward would've been fine, but this isn't very good.

Yeah it is unfortunate. But if there was ever a time to get a 6-9 month injury, its after playoffs and in offseason when you have 5 months of no hockey to miss. If its the full 9 thats terrible, if its 6 then basically TC, preseason and first 10 games will be missed

In a morbid way, this opens the door pretty wide for Reinhart to make the team out of training camp and becomes his make or break year. Hopefully he steps up and grabs his chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->