Chia needs to make moves now.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
So you get Gabby

You are just to start with 17 players signed and NO GOALIE signed 171,000 under the cap. That is a lot of work and players being traded and using buyouts.

re read my post ... your stuck on a one track mine

I'm not a crystal ball but to think PC has only a couple options is ludicrous ..... specially IF we have an early exit ..

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
IF the Bruins acquire Iginla or another top 6 forward, and

assuming that Yeti and Kelly are both in the fold for the playoffs...

does anyone else see Horton being the odd man out here? Could he be dealt for some D help? Not necessarily advocating for it, but just wondering considering he is an upcoming UFA...

It also might be a leap to count on the Yeti making an impact and Kelly coming back healthy, but even without Horton, the lineup would be pretty solid:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Marchand-Bergy-Seguin

Yeti-Kelly-Pevs

Merlot

Caron/Pandolfo

If Horton could fetch a top 4 d-man, is it worth exploring that option?

KCBRUIN

Tuukka Time
Nov 11, 2010
Kansas City Mo.
So you get Gabby

And this summer the Bruins are just to start with 17 players signed and NO GOALIE signed 171,000 under the cap. That is a lot of work and players being traded and using buyouts.

If they trade a top 4 Dman let's say Boychuk, and a top 9 forward with grit, Horton? We are in no worse shape then we are now and Gabby is a legit threat to score every time he's on the ice. We, like the Pens would have a little less depth, but A LOT more explosiveness. You have Bart and spooner instead of Boychuk and Horton.

Boychuk and Horton are just examples.

Goom 35

May 16, 2009
Many thought Bourque was over the hill when he left for COL too. A motivated player, who knows that this is their last shot to win the Cup is like magic. A motivated Iginla could be unstoppable.

Reference also Mark Recchi, who played a tinsy tiny part in the Bruins Cup Run. ;)

Don't forget a motivated BRUINS TEAM. A sense of purpose would be the perfect kick in the pants this team needs.

jasonbaz77*

If they trade a top 4 Dman let's say Boychuk, and a top 9 forward with grit, Horton? We are in no worse shape then we are now and Gabby is a legit threat to score every time he's on the ice. We, like the Pens would have a little less depth, but A LOT more explosiveness. You have Bart and spooner instead of Boychuk and Horton.

And the improvement to the PP could be instantaneous...especially if he gets a chance to work with Seguin and DK etc. Right now we have a bunch of guys who are very good but nobody who is at that top tier level (Seguin can become that guy at some point but he isn't yet.)

I would let Boychuk and Horton go to get that (as an example.) We have some depth to be able to do that.

BB624

Jan 1, 2009
Boston Ma-Roslindale

Horton is not under contract NEXT season, that doesn't help with cap problems for 13/14.

Gabby helps no doubt, but to fit him in next year that is a lot of moving pieces. Plus Rask is going to get a $5m AAV contract.

That is why I don't see the Bruins doing anything but a rental at this moment

KCBRUIN

Tuukka Time
Nov 11, 2010
Kansas City Mo.
Horton is not under contract NEXT season, that doesn't help with cap problems for 13/14.

Gabby helps no doubt, but to fit him in next year that is a lot of moving pieces. Plus Rask is going to get a $5m AAV contract.

Thats why I said Horton was just an example. Put Peverley or Kelly in there and your moving close to the same amount of money. You move two guys, and get one elite player back. Gabby takes the wing spot and you fill Boychuks spot with Bartkowski. Those two contracts cover the majority of Gabby's contract.

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North

This would still fit under the cap for next IF it was this exact trade ........

We could resign Horton for 4mill next year but he'll ask for more ..

BB624

Jan 1, 2009
Boston Ma-Roslindale
Thats why I said Horton was just an example. Put Peverley or Kelly in there and your moving close to the same amount of money. You move two guys, and get one elite player back. Gabby takes the wing spot and you fill Boychuks spot with Bartkowski. Those two contracts cover the majority of Gabby's contract.

So who are you trading to the Rangers? Keep in mind they want to rid themselves of teh contract. So why would they take on 7m in salary?

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North

Exactly :handclap:

KCBRUIN

Tuukka Time
Nov 11, 2010
Kansas City Mo.
So who are you trading to the Rangers? Keep in mind they want to rid themselves of teh contract. So why would they take on 7m in salary?

Me? Boychuk and Kelly. They are trying to rid themselves of THAT contract, but they still want a top 9 forward, and top 4 D man so they are fully expecting to take on money. Paying two players 7 mil isn't the same as paying one 7 mil. They fill two line up spots and add much needed depth. None of this will happen tho because why would the Rangers give us Gabby for anything. They'd most likely trade him far away from us and anyone else in the east.

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North

They've state that there looking for balance .. and Gabroik could be use for that ;)

DocToboggan

Jan 31, 2013
MA
In order to have a chance at winning a potential series with the Pens in the playoffs, a move or 2 is clearly needed.
We need to add 2 forwards who are atleast top 9 guys, if not top 6 and we could also use some help on D

The market sucks as we all know and the talent available for rentals is pretty slim, but Boston and Calgary should be able to make something happen.

Heres how you compete this postseason, without "selling the farm"...

Caron, Subban, koko and a 1st this year as well as a 2nd next year for iginla and glencross

Bartowski and a mid round pick for Kuba

(Add chudinov and/or ferlin to either deal if needed)

Marchand-bergy-seguin
Looch-krecji-iginla
Glencross-peverly-horton
Paille-kelly-campbell
Soderberg/thornton (thornton plays till kelly is 100%)

Chara-seids
Kuba-boychuck
ference-hamilton
Johnson (mcquaid probably plays if healthy, maybe hamilton sits?)

Soderberg wont help this team this year, he needed to lose in the first round for any shot of that to happen, now he'll most likely just be a spectator once he comes over.
Iginla and glencross should fit in to the system here and kuba is a defenseman i could see Chia making a move for due to his Ottawa ties. Kuba, if acquired, most likely would then be bought out by the Bruins in the offseason. (Him or kelly, or atleast one of them would be moved, wouldnt be surprised to see both of them or atleast one of them back in ottawa next year)
I like next years lineup even better potentially, and we could have some cap flexibilty as well depending on Soderbergs contract parameters. If yeti isnt in the longterm plans, resign one of iginla or horton.

Marchand-bergy-seguin
Looch-krecji-soderberg
Glencross-spooner-peverly
Paille-Campbell-knight
Macdermid

Chara-boychuck(time to upgrade next year?)
seids-Hamilton
Krug-mcquaid
Johnson (solid 7th dman)

Rask
?

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Darren Dreger just mentioned on TSN that the Bruins are in on Iginla, but are also in on 4 other possible deals and that the Bruins are even considering players under contract beyond this season. He mentioned somthing along the lines that the Bruins are the front runner for Iginla, but they will not overpay and are prepared to go in other directions to add players.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
IF the Bruins acquire Iginla or another top 6 forward, and

assuming that Yeti and Kelly are both in the fold for the playoffs...

does anyone else see Horton being the odd man out here? Could he be dealt for some D help? Not necessarily advocating for it, but just wondering considering he is an upcoming UFA...

It also might be a leap to count on the Yeti making an impact and Kelly coming back healthy, but even without Horton, the lineup would be pretty solid:

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Marchand-Bergy-Seguin

Yeti-Kelly-Pevs

Merlot

Caron/Pandolfo

If Horton could fetch a top 4 d-man, is it worth exploring that option?

Those are two HUGE ifs. If I'm Chia I would be counting on them for anything. In my eyes the bruins need a top 6 (Iginla) and a bottom 6 guy (stempniak?) or even someone to take Pailles spot on 4th line and move him up to the 3rd line where I think he could thrive a bit more

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Anyone else think we need defensive depth over forwards at this point?

2 of our regulars are out; we do need an upgrade on Bartkowski if we are dressing our 7-8th defensemen.

Iginla/Bruins sounds very possible; but we need depth other places.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008

2 of our regulars are out; we do need an upgrade on Bartkowski if we are dressing our 7-8th defensemen.

I think we need both, but I'd definitely say forward more needed than defense. We are elite in GAA and average in goals scored per game. Claude's system makes it so you can hide a lack of defensive talent a bit, but that's not the case offensively.

I fully believe we should be acquiring Iginla AND a depth defenseman, but if you are asking me to pick just 1, I choose Iginla and it's not close.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
All I know is if this team is knocked out early this season, than next year's roster is going to be quite different. I am pretty sure of it. It will be all on Peter C.

This is not talked about enough.

This roster won a Cup which earned them the right to be kept together, whatever the price. They went out quietly a year later. That Cup win bought them a mulligan.

If this team does not get to the ECF Chiarelli will make changes. He can not have the same roster not get to a conference final twice and then give them another kick at the can.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.

It is a concern.

I'v rather have seen Krug up here as well, getting him some ice and experience. He's going to be around once the playoffs start and it would be nice if he had a few games under his belt this year.

I think Chiarelli knows we need another defenseman. No one goes long in the playoffs without injuries. aaron Johnson has played pretty well but the playoffs are a whole new ballgame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad