Confirmed Trade: [CHI/WSH] Michal Kempny for 2018 3rd round pick

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
LOL what nonsense

Yeah a defender playing about 17:40 a night = One of the greatest pickups in NHL history

This Kempny hype train is laughable

And the anti-Q faction of Hawk fans out in full force I see. Remember these people claim Q had no role or influence on 3 cup wins and that Bowman is a genius
Q absolutely had a role in the three cups. However he's had issues with roster management for years now and the systems that made him a big name coach no longer work worth a damn in this league.

Kempny is just one example of Q's mediocre roster management and disinterest in moving away from his more conservative, two man back systems.

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Q absolutely had a role in the three cups. However he's had issues with roster management for years now and the systems that made him a big name coach no longer work worth a damn in this league.

Kempny is just one example of Q's mediocre roster management and disinterest in moving away from his more conservative, two man back systems.

What are the other examples?

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
What a turn of events. From down and out and Europe-bound to anchoring a team 1 game away from the cup.

Of course Kempny is not the second coming of Lidstrom or anything but you gotta love the story.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Happy for Kempny and the Caps. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Hopefully Q is next into the Hawks trash bin...

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
LOL what nonsense

Yeah a defender playing about 17:40 a night = One of the greatest pickups in NHL history

And the anti-Q faction of Hawk fans out in full force I see. Remember these people claim Q had no role or influence on 3 cup wins and that Bowman is a genius

It says value pickup. It's right there in print, did you decide to skip over that word cause it didn't fit your post?

Looks like an amazing trade for the Caps.

Reactions: jls24

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Taking this a little personal? What about Kempny not being a good fit in Chicago and at the cost if only a 3rd round pick solidifying the Caps defense corp makes it hype?

The Caps had a hole and he filled it. He plays a hybrid 4th and 5th d but he plays next to Carlson for every even strength shift and they are winning.

What is anti Hawk about that? Because his strenths and weaknesses didn't fit the Chicago game and because Q wasn't going to use him only means he was not a good Chicago player choice. That he is a good fit for Washington isn't anti Hawks

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I have no dog in the fight. But what really matters to Hawks is how well Kempny was playing as a Hawk. How well his is playing for the Caps now, doesn't really influence the trade at the time.

To take this "why to trade this player" to another level. Leafs traded Kessel for Kapanen and 1st rounder. Hardly a good return for what turns out to be a very good player with the Pens. But at the time of being a Leaf, Kessel had morphed into a average to poor player....yes despite his numbers. For whatever reason, he was playing poorly, Leafs had to jettison him and his 8m contract (6.8 with retention). The fact the Kessel found new life in Pittsburg....maybe the only place it would have happened, doesn't make the trade bad for the Leafs. It just had to happen considering the circumstances four? years ago.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
yup, Hawks fans knew what we had here with Kemp, unfortunately our coach I wouldn't trust with a potato gun any more...couldn't see any glimmer of talent there and played Oesterle over him and anyone else with a wooden leg or pylon attached to their ass..

The rotting corpse of Johnny Oduya played over him in the 17 playoffs is still mind numbing

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
upload_2018-6-5_11-19-53.jpeg

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
LOL what nonsense

BWC continuing to double down on the stupid. You are deflecting with the anti Q posts when the reality is that you were 100% wrong about Kempny. Just own up to it bud.

Kempny has been great for the Caps. He is the second D in the past 3 years Q blatantly f***ed up on. This is a fact.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Gus/Oesterle over Kempny
Handzus over Regin
Q not playing Daley top 4
Leddy not playing in top 4
Sitting Vermette and TT at times in 2015 cup run
Letting Hino rot in the AHL for half of the 17-18 season

There's more, but my head is killing me and I don't feel like looking shit up right now.

Reactions: ThatSaid

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Gus/Oesterle over Kempny
Handzus over Regin

There's more, but my head is killing me and I don't feel like looking **** up right now.

Debrincat stapled to bottom 6 till the season was actually over. Tommy Wingels/Lance Bouwma top 6 wings when the season was still in doubt. Trying to convince people tanner Kero was a thing

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Kempny fetched a third, which surely means he wasn’t “Europe-bound” as it indicates that his value was on a good enough level to get a decent deal in the show.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Gus/Oesterle over Kempny
Handzus over Regin

There's more, but my head is killing me and I don't feel like looking **** up right now.
Hard to argue with most of those, but Leddy not playing top 4 is not a good argument to make.

No way he should have played over Keith/Seabs, Hammer/Oduya back in the day.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gus/Oesterle over Kempny
Handzus over Regin

1) Peter Regin was trash and no NHL team wanting him that offseason says enough about his ability as an NHL player he was not an upgrade over fading Handzus
2) Daley is not good and was not good enough to play as a top 4 for Hawks. He was slotted in proper role as #5 and then forced his way out of Chicago
3) Leddy in top 4? Seabrook , Keith , Oduya and Hammer >>>>>>>>>> Leddy and Leddy defensively was far below them
4) Vermette and TT were hardly playing great before benching. If anything that was a coach wake up call proving successful
5) Hino was prone to go stretches MIA and really has not special qualities outside of being fast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->