Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VGK/CAR] Kruger to Vegas, and then Carolina for a 2018 5th.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yep. Future considerations almost always means basically free.

It looks free from this angle but isn't this trade connected to an expansion draft choice?

I read on the trade board that the delay with this deal had something to do with a bonus of some sort.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
The deal is Trevor van Riemsdyk + Marcus Kruger (after the Hawks paid his $2,000,000 signing bonus) for $3,908,333 in cap space for the Hawks

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's not that simple. Future considerations still means Chicago has to get some kind of asset back iirc. Probably the RFA rights to a crappy prospect

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It's not that simple. Future considerations still means Chicago has to get some kind of asset back iirc. Probably the RFA rights to a crappy prospect

Or McPhee has to buy Bowman a beer at the next GMs meeting.

In all seriousness I thought futures could be just about anything, including nothing.

There was one trade a number of years ago (I think it was between Philly and LA) where a player and a low draft pick were sent to a team for futures because the player's team needed a roster spot. I don't recall any asset going the other way on that one.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I thought they stopped doing that after they went to 7 rounds in the draft.

I know they used to do that, ie. give up a 9th rounder

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

I think that's right, but it could be something as meaningless as a Conditional 7th if Kruger scores 30 goals.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Actually Future Considerations in NHL trades means no asset goes back. It's kinda like a "thank you" card, "we'll remember this favor in the future". The NHL does not allow "future considerations" to be compensated with players or picks.

Hypothetically Vegas and Chicago might have a completely separate trade someday in the future where Chicago asks for a little extra value in return, but Vegas has no obligation to do that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Random thought: with the rumors of Kruger going to Carolina and TVR already traded to the Hurricanes we may be seeing the final part of three way deal resolving.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Random thought: with the rumors of Kruger going to Carolina and TVR already traded to the Hurricanes we may be seeing the final part of three way deal resolving.

For sure, Kruger has been on the way since before the expansion draft. Trying to figure out what we got, though.

Is it Brickley and 2nd/5th rounders, or am I missing something somewhere?

I've got to be

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For sure, Kruger has been on the way since before the expansion draft. Trying to figure out what we got, though.

Is it Brickley and 2nd/5th rounders, or am I missing something somewhere?

I've got to be

62nd overall (Leschyshyn)
142 overall (Duggan)

for

2018 7th round pick
TVR
Kruger
Brickley taken over Stempniak

Probably a small something going back for Kruger when the trade is completed

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Weren't gonna get much for him, this was a salary dump of an overpaid defensive forward by way of Vegas. Glad we didn't keep him, no reason for a young team to play a vet 3/4c and take ice time away from younger options.

NY2LV

Apr 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Weren't gonna get much for him, this was a salary dump of an overpaid defensive forward by way of Vegas. Glad we didn't keep him, no reason for a young team to play a vet 3/4c and take ice time away from younger options.

Couldn't of said it better

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I wholeheartedly disagree. Kruger is not some 34 year old Matt Hendricks type player holding on to his last contract in the NHL.

He would shelter some of our young centers by playing the hardest minutes, be one of, if not the best penalty killer on the team, re-sign for cheaper once his contract is up (his bonus was paid...he's getting 1.5 next year and then 2.3) hardly an overpayment at all.

And people are reacting like he's over the hill...dude is 27 years old.

In 3-5 years when this team is hopefully still contending he would still be as effective as he is today. A world class defensive player who plays the hardest minutes of any player and the most d-zone starts.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Kruger has just been traded to carolina.

There oughta be a thread....

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

I was happy when we got him. A 5th in 2018 will likely never be as good as Kruger, same with Schlemko.
I never been happy with Fleury and we still keep him. Stupid for me.
These 5th round picks are a waste anyway, same as drafting Patera. Ferguson might be better but we didn't draft him.
Should have kept Kruger, his salary is no problem anyway.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Later draft picks are only "hope and pray" for the future

The Knights need some real players now.

Going the wrong direction, boys, going in the wrong direction.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Later draft picks are only "hope and pray" for the future

The Knights need some real players now.

Going the wrong direction, boys, going in the wrong direction.

They still have lots of "real players" left. And they have lots of time to sign more through free agency and claim through waivers.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I guess I don't get it.

I figured there was a chance they'd go with the "win now" route prior to the expansion. Now that the expansion draft and the meat of free agency has passed, I'm willing to hang with the playoffs in three plan.

Just win while I'm in the building, please. :laugh:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I guess I don't get it.

I figured there was a chance they'd go with the "win now" route prior to the expansion. Now that the expansion draft and the meat of free agency has passed, I'm willing to hang with the playoffs in three plan.

Just win while I'm in the building, please. :laugh:

They probably could have built a decent team out of what was available for the expansion draft but without a deep and sustaining prospect base they probably would have started spinning their tires like the Leafs prior to their recent rebuild. There's no fun in finishing each season by losing the first round of the playoffs.

It's best to start building now and win big when the time comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->