Proposal: CHI-TOR

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
To Toronto:
Connor Murphy

To Chicago:
Kasperi Kapanen

Toronto takes a flier on Murphy on becoming the physical RD shutdown defender who complements Rielly.

Chicago adds a much needed young winger to their system, who will be given a chance to move up the line-up.

Rielly - Murphy
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Saad - Toews - Kapanen
Debrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Kahun - Anisimov - Sikura
Kunitz - Kruger - Hayden

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Haven’t watched Murphy much.

Can anyone provide some background on how he did last year?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
To Toronto:
Connor Murphy

To Chicago:
Kasperi Kapanen

Toronto takes a flier on Murphy on becoming the physical RD shutdown defender who complements Rielly.

Chicago adds a much needed young winger to their system, who will be given a chance to move up the line-up.

Rielly - Murphy
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Saad - Toews - Kapanen
Debrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Kahun - Anisimov - Sikura
Kunitz - Kruger - Hayden
No way Kapanen plays on the first line over Debrincat.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I'd do this in a minute but I'm probably lower on Kapanen than most Leaf fans. Great utility player but I don't think he has the brains to make it as a top 6 everyday player.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Classic leafs player that can’t even crack the roster immediately slots in on another teams 1st line.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawks need another winger? It's probably the last thing they need to be honest. They need Top 4 Dmen, C's and potentially a goalie.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Don't see why the Hawks do this. Wasn't Murphy the centerpiece of the Hammer deal? Bowman is probably high on him in particular.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Classic leafs player that can’t even crack the roster immediately slots in on another teams 1st line.
Among the fastest skaters in the league. A lot of potential and will often burn people on the PK. I'm not sure why people slam him because he has the exact attributes of a young player that teams will take chances on. He needs to be used.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd probably go for it. Hawks are a bit thin on the wings. If Jokiharju makes the roster, which I believe he will, I think we could fair alright without Murphy.

That being said I do like Murphy and I'm perfectly fine with keeping him. He's a good second pairing RHD. Only got better as the year went on. I just don't think it's a 1-for-1 deal. Murphy is a proven NHL defenceman and Kapanen is still a fringe player. Though I admit he's on the cusp of breaking through.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
1. Hawks can't afford to give up a young top 4 dman
2. Leafs can't afford to take on a contract as expensive as Murphy's without sending some salary back.
Also, this one is more of an opinion, but I don't really want to give up Kapanen as a Leafs fan.

Reactions: Mork

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hawks are pretty good at RW with Kane, Debrincat, Sikura....and yes Kappy *can* play LW but is way better at RW. Leafs are counting on his production on the cheap.

I don't think Murphy helps the Leafs that much either.

Reactions: Mork

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
In the author's opening statement "Take on a flyer on Murphy." No team will take a flyer on 3.8m X 4 year player. If he's 3.8m good, the Hawks keep him. If he can't play to his contact, the Leafs don't want him
Is this an trade just to acquire a RHD? Leafs wants good defensemen, not just Dmen that shoot right handed.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
No way Kapanen plays on the first line over Debrincat.

i think the leafs would have to add a 2nd
and yeah swap kap to the 2nd line for sure.

The Hawks have Toews and Kane on separate lines. The Toews line is considered the '1st line' however, in terms of offensive production, the Kane line is always superior.

Toews line just takes on harder match-ups. I'm not saying Kapanen is a 1# RW, but he could complement Saad-Toews. Guys like Hayden, Panik, Duclair, Hinostroza have played in that spot.

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
As a Hawks fan, Id rather have Murphy. I have been impressed by him, we just need coach Q gone to show murphys full potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->