Proposal: CHI - PIT

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
how are Saads offensive stats that much better. Yes they are better keep in mind Saad gets alot more pp time.
games goals assist points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
taking a chance he can turn it around in the next 3 years at six million per is a bad bet. I will take Hagelin at 4 million playing solid over the last year over Saad playing like garbage at 6 million for the next 3 (including this one).

.59pts pg avg vs .45pts pg...

Don't forget he played in Columbus for a few years, without a legit 1C (he led the team in scoring in 2015-2016), and had 1 off year.

And he doesn't play much on the PP, he was actually one of the best even strength producers in the NHL, prior to last year.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
.59pts pg avg vs .45pts pg...

Don't forget he played in Columbus for a few years, without a legit 1C (he led the team in scoring in 2015-2016), and had 1 off year.

And he doesn't play much on the PP, he was actually one of the best even strength producers in the NHL, prior to last year.

he was the number 1 option in columbus and he averaged over a minute a game over his career thats more than hagelin

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
he was the number 1 option in columbus and he averaged over a minute a game over his career thats more than hagelin
You think Hagelin would post those numbers in the same situation? :rolleyes:

If you simply don't think Saad won't bounce back, and don't want to risk it with his contract, that makes sense, but trying to spin of that Hagelin is better or on par is absurd.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saad has consistently only gotten 2nd PP unit time with whatever teams he has been a part of. To bring up PP production doesn't make any sense because Saad kills Hagelin in terms of ES production. Saad has hit 50 ES points in a season and had a pace of 40 ES points/82 games in 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. Hagelin has never even hit 40 points. Saad has outscored Hagelin at ES in literally every single season Saad has played in the NHL.

I really don't get where the ridiculous comments are coming from that Hagelin is better than Saad, they're just absurd.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Atkinson, Foligno, Wennberg, and others were higher options receiving more TOI under Torts. Now you are just trying to spin Saad having better numbers than Hagelin (in less games too) against him despite being on a 3rd line for stretches in Cbus and still scoring over 50 pts with Torts. Hagelin was never a top 6 player offensively whether it was New York, Anaheim, or even pit he is just an ideal 3rd liner who is good at PKing while having stone hands for days.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Atkinson, Foligno, Wennberg, and others were higher options receiving more TOI under Torts. Now you are just trying to spin Saad having better numbers than Hagelin (in less games too) against him despite being on a 3rd line for stretches in Cbus and still scoring over 50 pts with Torts. Hagelin was never a top 6 player offensively whether it was New York, Anaheim, or even pit he is just an ideal 3rd liner who is good at PKing while having stone hands for days.

i never said saad was not better offensively or a good player until last year at least. Hags has always been on 3rd line. despite all you said saad barely averages more point than hagelin and gets paid more. receiving more toi is not the same as more pp time either. you take sad as a player i stick to hags

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Saad has consistently only gotten 2nd PP unit time with whatever teams he has been a part of. To bring up PP production doesn't make any sense because Saad kills Hagelin in terms of ES production. Saad has hit 50 ES points in a season and had a pace of 40 ES points/82 games in 2012-2013, 2014-2015, 2015-2016 and 2016-2017. Hagelin has never even hit 40 points. Saad has outscored Hagelin at ES in literally every single season Saad has played in the NHL.

I really don't get where the ridiculous comments are coming from that Hagelin is better than Saad, they're just absurd.

no your reading comprehension is absurd, i never said hags was better i said i would rather have hagelin

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't hate it but I'm sure PIT fans don't want to lose maata at the cost to dump hagelin and only get a high priced underperforming Saad and rutta sucks. He's been trash since coming back from his concussion last year

Hagelin isn't a cap dump. While his contract isn't great, it's done at the end of this season and his value on the ice is significant, even if he's not putting up points.

As for the deal... I think it would be something better looked at this summer. I really like Rutta but I don't want to lose Hagelin, and I'm cautious about picking up Saad and his contract with his recent performances. While he'd be ideal if he's playing at the top of his game... if he's not, his contract would be a serious obstacle to overcome for the remainder of Pittsburgh's cup window.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Saad career low production year is hagelins career high. Hagelin is absolutely not better than Saad. Saads value is at all time low but it's still more than hagelin and hagelin has almost no finish to his game whatsoever

No doubt. But the issue for Pittsburgh is that they're not paying Hagelin to "finish", but to forecheck, backcheck and get the puck to Malkin and Kessel. And with his speed, that's something he excels at. Saad would absolutely produce more... but at what cost? And there's also the question as to which version of Saad would we be getting?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No doubt. But the issue for Pittsburgh is that they're not paying Hagelin to "finish", but to forecheck, backcheck and get the puck to Malkin and Kessel. And with his speed, that's something he excels at. Saad would absolutely produce more... but at what cost? And there's also the question as to which version of Saad would we be getting?

I don't think the team even needs Saad. Losing Schultz for 4 months needs being of a depth D-man to spell the times and create deeper depth on the D-corps.

The Pens have an abundance at RW and losing one would right the ship a little.

Sprong for Jokiharju?

Pens RW is locked up for some time, and he'll probably get a better shot in Chi Town.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I don't think the team even needs Saad. Losing Schultz for 4 months needs being of a depth D-man to spell the times and create deeper depth on the D-corps.

The Pens have an abundance at RW and losing one would right the ship a little.

Sprong for Jokiharju?

Pens RW is locked up for some time, and he'll probably get a better shot in Chi Town.

How much is Pit adding here?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Probably not a whole helluva lot, if at all.

I mean, if we are talking D-men worth over forwards, sure.

What were you thinking?
Ask your self for a second why on earth would chicago give up a young Dmen who has fit like a glove on the #1 RD role and is also on a cheap ELC for 3 years for a player that has been failing to live up to his hype and is only one a 1 year deal. Sprong doesnt knock either one of DeBrincat or Kane down on the RW spot. There is no reason for Chicago to do this unless Pit over pays and throws in someone more valuable. Jokiharju would be the best RD on the Pens within 3 years when Letang starts to fall off. D are always worth more than wingers.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ask your self for a second why on earth would chicago give up a young Dmen who has fit like a glove on the #1 RD role and is also on a cheap ELC for 3 years for a player that has been failing to live up to his hype and is only one a 1 year deal. Sprong doesnt knock either one of DeBrincat or Kane down on the RW spot. There is no reason for Chicago to do this unless Pit over pays and throws in someone more valuable. Jokiharju would be the best RD on the Pens within 3 years when Letang starts to fall off. D are always worth more than wingers.

Sprong is still RFA and on a 2 year deal (this and next)He's not failing, there's simply no room on the RW for him here. Kessel, Hornqvist and Rust. Rust has to be force feed LW to get him in the top 9. In Chi he at least has a better chance at the top nine at least at L3 RW.

So I asked what you were thinking? Meaning what that extra would be?

Asking even for a guy like Maatta with Sprong entails us asking for more. Why would any GM get into that. We here know all too well about the Winterhawks and D-men. Let me give you the short skinny, they are no longer here. (Morrow/Pouliot) Maybe Chi town is in a bad way on D to have to go that route and play him out of the shute, he'd be down the totem pole here.

As far as him being more valuable in 3 years over Letang and such is meaningless unless you can provide that crystal ball and future? Didn't think so.

So, if he's just more valuable to the Hawks at the current moment, that's cool. It doesn't make him more valuable here. Here he is depth, not a needed mainstay yet like the Hawks.

I was looking at what could be apples to apples. Fair trade. But if you need Jokiharju more, I can totally understand that.

Valuewise, I think they are on the same plain.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Agree to disagree about them being on the same plane in terms of trade value. I respect your opinion but D will always be more valuable than wingers except under extreme circumstances (Hall for Larsson) Chicago has no reason to trade any of their future cornerstones on defense (Mitchell, Boqvist, Jokiharju) unless it is for an overpayment from the other side which I don’t see just Sprong as being enough to make any move involving them. If your looking for a temporary fill in for Schultz who eventually slides down to the 3rd pair rd then there are other options out there that wouldn’t even cost Sprong.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No reason at all for Chicago to give up Jokiharju right now.

No reason why the Pens should be selling on Sprong right now either.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
You think Hagelin would post those numbers in the same situation? :rolleyes:

If you simply don't think Saad won't bounce back, and don't want to risk it with his contract, that makes sense, but trying to spin of that Hagelin is better or on par is absurd.

Like I posted early Hagelin produces less points than saad ok that is not in dispute at all. He is a better player on offense. Hagelin however is faster and better on the PK plus he is an animal on the for check. Hagelin fits the Pens system perfectly as a defensive winger who can for check and penalty kill. So I believe Hagelin is more valuable to the penguins than saad would be.

I don't think saad will bounce back enough to be worth 3 more years at 6 million per year. I will stick with 1 year at 4 million.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Huh? We have 7D already even with Schultz on LTIR... why do we need another D?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->