Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
To Chicago:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta

To Pittsburgh:
Brandon Saad
Jan Rutta

Saad bounces back playing in his home-town, beside Sidney Crosby.
Rutta is a solid top 6 RH defender, who can fill in for the injured Justin Schultz.

Hagelin adds some speed to the line-up, and can go up and down the line-up.
Maatta fits the Hawks new D-core movement with Jokiharju, Forsling, Boqvist, Murphy

Healthy line-ups:

Saad - Crosby - Guentzel
Sprong - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Brassard - Hornqvist
Cullen - Sheahan - Rust
ZAR

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Oleksiak/Riikola - Rutta

Murray
DeSmith

Debrincat - Toews - Kahun
Fortin - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - Anisimov - Hayden
Hagelin - Kruger - Kampf
Kunitz

Keith - Jokiharju
Maatta - Murphy
Gustafsson - Seabrook
Manning

Crawford
Ward

Reactions: BHFAN92

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I don't hate it but I'm sure PIT fans don't want to lose maata at the cost to dump hagelin and only get a high priced underperforming Saad and rutta sucks. He's been trash since coming back from his concussion last year

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that Schultz blew up his ankle, this deal becomes much more interesting. I think you'd need to retain a little money on Rutta to make the cap work, but this deal is super interesting. The Saad benefit is obvious, Rutta is a nice addition because the Penguins only have 1 RHS on defense with Schultz out. I'd say yes to this.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Saad for Maatta as a base does make sense.

That being said, I don't know how I feel about Saad anymore. He didn't impress me too much as his time in Columbus started winding down. He was either on or off and it seems like the off has been more prevalent.

I'm also not as low on Maatta as the rest of HF.

Makes a lot of sense though.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
No to losing Hags, who may even be better than Saad atm.

Saad's contract is a big NO. He's heading near Lucic value.

Not a fan of moving our top 4 D Maatta for Rutta.

Hagelin>Saad
Maatta > Rutta

You had a half decent post until you went full Homer there

Saad career low production year is hagelins career high. Hagelin is absolutely not better than Saad. Saads value is at all time low but it's still more than hagelin and hagelin has almost no finish to his game whatsoever

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011

Saad career low production year is hagelins career high. Hagelin is absolutely not better than Saad. Saads value is at all time low but it's still more than hagelin and hagelin has almost no finish to his game whatsoever
Yeah seriously, in no way Hagelin>Saad lol

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you

Hagelins value to the Pens really has nothing to do with points. He is a great pk guy and with his speed perfect for the pens type of game on the for check. Plus his contract ends after this year not more years at 6 million. i wouldnt trade hags alone for that deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saad is so much better than Hagelin that I have no idea how anyone could even possibly argue Hagelin>Saad. Hagelin has literally never outscored Saad in any season Saad has been in the NHL. Not once. It's not like Saad is a 1-dimensional winger either, he's a good defensive player and brings speed and PKing just like Hagelin does.

The only reason this trade is fair is because Saad has struggled for the last year and 5 games. If Saad was playing to his capabilities, this would be laughable for Chicago.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If there's anywhere Saad can turn it around, it's in Pittsburgh on Crosby's wing.

I don't know this for sure, but I imagine Saad wouldn't be playing much on Crosby's wing. He's solely a LWer and Guentzel is going to be Crosby's winger 99% of the time. The only time he won't be Crosby's LWer is when he's playing RW with Crosby.

You might see Saad-Crosby-Guentzel some, but I think it's more likely that you'd see Saad with Malkin and Kessel, Rust or Hornqvist.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
To Chicago:
Carl Hagelin
Olli Maatta

To Pittsburgh:
Brandon Saad
Jan Rutta

Saad bounces back playing in his home-town, beside Sidney Crosby.
Rutta is a solid top 6 RH defender, who can fill in for the injured Justin Schultz.

Hagelin adds some speed to the line-up, and can go up and down the line-up.
Maatta fits the Hawks new D-core movement with Jokiharju, Forsling, Boqvist, Murphy

Healthy line-ups:

Saad - Crosby - Guentzel
Sprong - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Brassard - Hornqvist
Cullen - Sheahan - Rust
ZAR

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Oleksiak/Riikola - Rutta

Murray
DeSmith

Debrincat - Toews - Kahun
Fortin - Schmaltz - Kane
Sikura - Anisimov - Hayden
Hagelin - Kruger - Kampf
Kunitz

Keith - Jokiharju
Maatta - Murphy
Gustafsson - Seabrook
Manning

Crawford
Ward

Honestly to me this is one of the very few fair trades for both teams I have come across and it helps both teams.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I don't know this for sure, but I imagine Saad wouldn't be playing much on Crosby's wing. He's solely a LWer and Guentzel is going to be Crosby's winger 99% of the time. The only time he won't be Crosby's LWer is when he's playing RW with Crosby.

You might see Saad-Crosby-Guentzel some, but I think it's more likely that you'd see Saad with Malkin and Kessel, Rust or Hornqvist.

Saad can play both wings he was used frequently as a RW in Columbus

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don't hate this deal, but I don't know enough about Rutta. Is he a solid #5/#6, or is he a borderline #7?

This looks like an upgrade at LW, which the Pens need, for a downgrade at LD, which the Pens can suddenly handle with the emergence of Riikola. Maatta is a solid defenseman but struggles a bit to play the speed game in Pittsburgh, and gets caught flat footed a little too often when Pitt's aggressiveness leads to odd man rushes the other way. The real question is whether Rutta projects as a solid 3rd pairing guy for the Pens or if he heads to the waiver wire once Schultz gets back. If all he is is a 6/7 RHD, we already have Ruhwedel for that.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I don't hate this deal, but I don't know enough about Rutta. Is he a solid #5/#6, or is he a borderline #7?

This looks like an upgrade at LW, which the Pens need, for a downgrade at LD, which the Pens can suddenly handle with the emergence of Riikola. Maatta is a solid defenseman but struggles a bit to play the speed game in Pittsburgh, and gets caught flat footed a little too often when Pitt's aggressiveness leads to odd man rushes the other way. The real question is whether Rutta projects as a solid 3rd pairing guy for the Pens or if he heads to the waiver wire once Schultz gets back. If all he is is a 6/7 RHD, we already have Ruhwedel for that.

Rutta was playing on our top shutdown pair for a while last year. He looked great, until he ran into injury issues. He's been okay this year, but still has some injury issues thats limiting him. Also he has good offensive instincts, and a decent shot.

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
how are Saads offensive stats that much better. Yes they are better keep in mind Saad gets alot more pp time.
games goals assist points
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
taking a chance he can turn it around in the next 3 years at six million per is a bad bet. I will take Hagelin at 4 million playing solid over the last year over Saad playing like garbage at 6 million for the next 3 (including this one).

Reactions: PensandCaps

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No thanks

Maatta is slow and his body has already gone thru so much in short career I don't expect him to be able to handle the workload of a long NHL career at this point

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Hagelin not being a cap dump makes him more valuable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad