CHI or TB: Which is more like the Habs

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
None of them are alike, but chicago occasionally does seem to use that quick breakout where the winger shoots out of the zone looking for the long pass/bank pass. The difference seems to be that the hawks have many more guys who are able to execute that option. Montreal relies on subban/Markov and pacioretty. Also Saad reminds me of pacioretty in certain ways.

Long answer short. Neither, but I will say chicago if I have to pick one.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Chicago & Tampa are championship teams, the habs are not, so neither. The builds are not even the same. Chicago didn't build from the net out for instance. They went defense to forwards with swapping goaltenders for a couple of years. Same thing with Tampa. Both these teams have well balanced line ups with decent amounts of offense & defense, the habs do not.

Habs look more like the New Jersey Devils with Brodeur in nets when their lineup was still young.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Chicago & Tampa are championship teams, the habs are not, so neither. The builds are not even the same. Chicago didn't build from the net out for instance. They went defense to forwards with swapping goaltenders for a couple of years. Same thing with Tampa. Both these teams have well balanced line ups with decent amounts of offense & defense, the habs do not.

Habs look more like the New Jersey Devils with Brodeur in nets when their lineup was still young.

The New Jersey Devils of the mid 90s and early 00s weren't championship teams?

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

Habs are more like Hasek-era Sabres.

Devils championship teams were great at suppressing shots against, which is the whole point of the trap.

Therrien Habs collapse and turn the goalies into a dartboard.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

That's more than a decade ago. You know the sport has evolved since then correct? You can't copy-cat a team from the mid-90s thinking that it'll have the same success today, that's just delusional a little bit.The 2 zone rule out, the interference calls on the boards, etc... That changed several things.

Obviously, other teams work towards beating past championship teams. That's just normal.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
That's more than a decade ago. You know the sport has evolved since then correct? You can't copy-cat a team from the mid-90s thinking that it'll have the same success today, that's just delusional a little bit.The 2 zone rule out, the interference calls on the boards, etc... That changed several things.

Obviously, other teams work towards beating past championship teams. That's just normal.

Why would I copy cat a team from the mid 90s? Even if you did I'm sure that those Devils would still battle for a top spot in the East, after all they manage to go all the way to the cup just three years ago with the the 2 zone rule out, the interference calls on the boards, etc.

I hope this delusion isn't too much to handle.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think a defense group of:

Marky Subban
Beaulieu Petry
Gilbert Emelin
Pateryn Tinner

is on par with any NHL team, if not one of the very best, however, our forward group is probably the weakest group of all playoff teams imo, no real game changers in the bunch imo, maybe patches, but he's a tough one, scores in bunches, but not really a guy who takes over a game often. This forward group desperately needs to change imo.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Montreal has a very good defense with great goaltending, the offense is pretty crappy though. As well as we play a no skill grinding game, which makes us not even remotely similar to either teams.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Montreal has a very good defense with great goaltending, the offense is pretty crappy though. As well as we play a no skill grinding game, which makes us not even remotely similar to either teams.

We don't really grind, that's just an HFboards myth amongst many other. We try to play a skill game, but we just don't have enough finish. Plek, Galchenyuk, Parenteau, DD are all guys who should have scored more in the PO and in the regular season (because they actually have the potential for it)... It's either that these guys give us at least 20% more goals next year or need to find one or two guys either through our draft pool or a trade. We didnt need much more to win against TB, we got outplayed as much as we outplayed them, but they are just better at finishing their chances... oh and Bishop stood on his head although we really have only ourselves to blame since we had everything in place to get to conference finals.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why would I copy cat a team from the mid 90s? Even if you did I'm sure that those Devils would still battle for a top spot in the East, after all they manage to go all the way to the cup just three years ago with the the 2 zone rule out, the interference calls on the boards, etc.

I hope this delusion isn't too much to handle.

Not the same Devils no, but it's fine, you can think of it what you want. They didn't win anything and missed the playoffs 3 times in a row after that. Championship teams are no longer made like the ones 15 years ago. Bottom line is there is no blue print solution to build a team for a championship and if there was it would change often. Right now the habs' build & tactics on the ice don't make them look like Chicago or Tampa.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Surprised no one's mentioned New York Rangers as our closest comparable. Elite goalie, lots of talent on D, and an uneven scattering of offence divided between four lines. Yes, I know the Rangers scored lots more goals than we did, but they did it by committee rather than through top talent. In the end, their undoing was weak scoring, as it was for the Habs. Moving forward, Habs have more cap space to improve their forwards than New York, plus better incoming prospects. In the back end, our D is looking stronger than theirs for longer term, not to mention Lundqvist becoming a diminishing return as he turns 34 next season.

I know that doesn't answer the OP's question, but nothing about our team resembles either Chicago or Tampa.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Both options "neither" and "both like" are equally correct. The habs are like neither, in equal ways, albeit different ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad