Confirmed Trade: [CHI/FLA] B. Connolly, R. Stillman, H. Borgstrom, '21 7th for L. Wallmark, L. Carlsson

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
tf happened to Borgstrom? wasnt he a top 25 prospect for a bit?
I think he's got a decent upside to him still. But he's from the same mold as Teuvo Teravainen, so not a big favourite of coach Q either. Plus we have Lundell who is a much more promising center prospect at this time.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Leveraging cap space for young pieces is exactly what a rebuilding team should do.

That said, the Blackhawks pro-scouting has been abysmal for years, so I have zero trust they're targeting the correct young players and not just whichever kid some #goodhockeyman promised would be the next big thing over beers.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Leveraging cap space for young pieces is exactly what a rebuilding team should do.

That said, the Blackhawks pro-scouting has been abysmal for years, so I have zero trust they're targeting the correct young players and not just whichever kid some #goodhockeyman promised would be the next big thing over beers.

I'm not sure about that. Their pro scouting in Europe seems really good. Suter, Kurashev, Lankinen, Kubalik, Panarin (some years back), etc. It could well be that Borgstrom is cut from the similar vine.

Reactions: bobbydigital

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Both expiring contracts, so more of a throw in stay under the maximum 50 contracts.
that's basically what I was alluding to, with bowman trying to load up on a rebuild/retool/youth movement, whatever you want to call it, even if the prospects are projects, chicago needs to start clearing contract spots especially guys who have no future in the org, even if it includes RFAs

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

well hopefully the big housecleaning in the scouting department last year establishes themselves in trades like this as a legitimate source of strength moving forward.

if they are half as good as the european scouts have been in years past, Chicago will be in a good spot

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Thought Wallmark was still with Florida. But this trade gives me the impression that Florida is going to make a big trade for the deadline.

But I wonder if Chicago will use Connolly as leverage for the Seattle expansion draft. Other than that, Stillman can prove himself in Chicago with Keith heading to his final years as I do understand he was solid in junior.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
This deal is a f***ing joke

Hawks are doing Panthers a favor taking on that Connelly deal and getting nothing for it

Borgstrom is a f***ing bust and Stillman is a below average LD who has no place on this team going forward

Reactions: Gjman2019

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Thought Wallmark was still with Florida. But this trade gives me the impression that Florida is going to make a big trade for the deadline.

But I wonder if Chicago will use Connolly as leverage for the Seattle expansion draft. Other than that, Stillman can prove himself in Chicago with Keith heading to his final years as I do understand he was solid in junior.

We have young LD defenseman better then him already on team

Stillman has no future in Chicago or anywhere else to be frank he is a below average player

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
it seems like a lot of effort went into this trade, but I don't really understand the point either GM was trying to achieve and what motivated them other than being bored.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Fantastic move by zito again. I thought there was no way to move Connolly and his contract without taking a similar contract back. That’s why those komarov rumors made sense. To dump him for pending rfa’s who we won’t even want, essentially dumping his contract in full and only had to give up stillman (who I like but wasn’t going to be a full timer here anyways, just a call up) and Borgstrom (doesn’t have a place here, but best of luck to him), yeah I’ll do that every single day.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
i remember when Borgstrom was an untouchable, time flies huh

He was an absolute stud at DU.

Really skilled with the puck but awkward skater. Not suited for a checking role at the NHL level. At 24 and with diminishing AHL stats and role in the Panthers organization and a stint back home - if he becomes something meaningful in the NHL he will be one of those outliers on a very familiar developmental trajectory that usually leads to minimal NHL impact.

And his Liiga stats are solid but nothing noteworthy and especially not noteworthy for a 24 year-old guy who people want to have top-6 NHL upside. Bemstrom and Koivula are nothing special and easily outpaced him in their stints with HIFK earlier this season prior to the NHL re-start. His teammate Lundell is 5 year young and easily eclipses his production rate.

He’s just an off-handed shot at the dart board at this point and no amount of glowing praise from his new GM changes that.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'm interested to hear bowman's take on why he did this. it didn't really set the Hawks back any, but there also seemed very little upside to feel compelled to make this move. maybe this way he can say he did something with all that cap space via trade

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I'm interested to hear bowman's take on why he did this. it didn't really set the Hawks back any, but there also seemed very little upside to feel compelled to make this move. maybe this way he can say he did something with all that cap space via trade

-ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad