Confirmed Trade: [CHI/FLA] B. Connolly, R. Stillman, H. Borgstrom, '21 7th for L. Wallmark, L. Carlsson

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Nice, getting a player that can contribute with a little bit of something for 2 seasons + a blue chip prospect in exchange for a couple of leftovers you left in the trash. It's been many years since we saw a competent Bowman trade, quite shocked by this to be honest.
Borgstrom is a 2015 drafte who got drafted 2016, he maybe has a bit more value than Merkley...

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I smell a huge trade between Florida and Columbus including Savard. Manson might be an option, but I think Zito aims at rentals knowing that Ekblad will return. Is any offensive Dman at the market that should be thought of?

Barkov is Laine's best friend or so :popcorn:.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Looks fair for both sides. Hawks get three guys that will get a much better look in their team. I don’t think Borgstrom or Stillman become anything, but they are worth a shot for taking on a minor cap dump. Florida gets out of a contract and moves on from three guys that weren’t on their main roster

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The weak link in all of this is Savard. I don't think much of him this season.

Foligno is a decent get for cheap for sure.

In the end, I’d do Hall and Risto. If they could re-sign Hall, get Ekblad back, and rid themselves of Yandle, they’d be in a great spot moving forward. And if Hall doesn’t work out, then he’s gone.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Nice, getting a player that can contribute with a little bit of something for 2 seasons + a blue chip prospect in exchange for a couple of leftovers you left in the trash. It's been many years since we saw a competent Bowman trade, quite shocked by this to be honest.

Prepare to get more shocked when you see all 3 of them play.

Reactions: Mogo

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
tf happened to Borgstrom? wasnt he a top 25 prospect for a bit?
Screwed up his development.
Was rushed into the league when Trocheck was hurt and expected to "save the season" and fill in as a 2C immediately. He struggled, and since then his relationship with the team and his confidence was shot. Weird treatment by the team in the following years didn't help either.
He could/should have been more patient and persistent, then maybe he'd have made it this year... but with the trainwreck the Panthers have been most of their existence, you can't exactly blame him for the relationship going sideways.

Reactions: Howard35

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
They certainly are clearing room for some sort of move. Whether that is Hall, or defense (both), I'm not sure. One thing that has to be a certainty, this is only step one of multiple steps.
Maybe they can one-stop shop and get Hall and Ristolinen

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Screwed up his development.
Was rushed into the league when Trocheck was hurt and expected to "save the season" and fill in as a 2C immediately. He struggled, and since then his relationship with the team and his confidence was shot. Weird treatment by the team in the following years didn't help either.
He could/should have been more patient and persistent, then maybe he'd have made it this year... but with the trainwreck the Panthers have been most of their existence, you can't exactly blame him for the relationship going sideways.
Didn't he request a trade after not starting last season in the NHL? Maybe it wasn't a formal request but he voiced his displeasure. This seems similar to the Lias Andersson situation.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Huge mistake to trade for Laine. He would just be in Barkov's way. Barely NHLer at this point.

Maybe...or it would light a fire under his arse and put him back on the map...either way, I see Florida going in big soon and with Savard & Laine, they add big pieces to an already charged lineup...get your popcorn ready, folks...

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Huge mistake to trade for Laine. He would just be in Barkov's way. Barely NHLer at this point.

Kaapo Kakko would have perfect skill set to pair with Barkov. I would rather get Kakko instead of Laine to play with Barkov. Cost would be Lundell+ but i’d rather have killer top 2 C combo because Barkov can produce with any winger.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Not a horrible trade. I kinda wish the Blackhawks would have stayed patient 2 more days. Brett Connolly & Henrik Borgstrom need to improve by 20-25% but they are the right ages to do that.

Stillman will be useful after trading de Haan. And then we will have cap space back. Trading Janmark is easier now he was due a raise, and Connolly takes that spot. Connolly is overpaid by 750,000 not the end of the world.

We did Florida a favor. The risk was reasonable. Cap space is worth more than this return. Chicago didn't overpay badly to pickup a few lottery pick former first rounders.

Trade Grade:
Florida: B+

Chicago: C

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Just got online today. So looks like Florida paying the price of some lesser prospects for Chicago to take on Connolly. Sort of surprised Chicago does this... they must think they can resuscitate either Connolly or Borgstrom.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I guess it's fair? Can someone give me the "but why?" part?
Dumping Connolly's salary. Connolly was a healthy scratch. Borgstrom wasn't happy with his situation and didn't re-sign with the Panthers last offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad