Confirmed Trade: [CHI/FLA] B. Connolly, R. Stillman, H. Borgstrom, '21 7th for L. Wallmark, L. Carlsson

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Feel like Connolly will rebound. Maybe he gets some time with Kane and puts up some goals/points over the next 2 years.

He is a solid player and was good the past two seasons. Having a bad year this year but I think he rebounds back.

Panthers have capspace now and can make a big add like a savard or hall

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Borg is worth a late second and Stillman something like a 3rd or 4th so not so cheap.
Connolly has potential on Chicago

How is Borgstrom worth a late 2nd? His AHL stats last year are pedestrian and he's already 23, will be 24 in training camp next year. He had no future in Florida at least, I guess Chicago might rehab him but there's a high likelihood he never makes the NHL even with decent Liiga stats this year (currently 50th in liiga PPG FWIW: Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats 2020-2021).

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
meh, doesn't excite or bother me as a hawks fan. hawks sitting on a payload of cap space so this still doesn't really affect our plans. bowman and crew must see something they really like in borgstrom to eat that much of their bosses money to take on a toasted connolly

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Well this is a dud for Chicago. I like Connolly, as a player, and I think he could rebound a bit. But there should have been a 3rd rounder or something coming with him. Borgstrom doesn't seem like he brings the value to make this worth it.

Take on cap space for multiple years for nothing? If Connolly was living up to his contract, maybe. But not today.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
bowman also offloaded carlsson and walmark who, trust me, had absolutely no future in Chicago either. this is a lot of meh
"Offloading" is probably the wrong word to use when all you're doing is moving a couple of expiring RFA contracts. The team doing the offloading in this deal is clearly Florida, who move $3.5m x 2.5 of Connelly's contract for virtually nothing.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Boooooo
I really liked Stillman. Thought he had a future as a cheap, versatile, bottom pair defender.
Wallmark blew chunks when he was with us, and we already have 5 centers who are better than him.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Seems like.. a decent deal for Florida?

Connolly clearly tanked the long off-season. Maybe he'll bounce back next year for the Hawks which is a possibility, but for now the Panthers are happy to free up the dead cap space..

Stillman is alright but nothing special and Borgstrom is a total wildcard. He basically has to make it as a 2C for him to be in a position to succeed.. and i'd say at this point odds are probably against it, the Panthers clearly think so.

Seems like a bunch of meh all-around, which begs the question why would Bowman take on Connolly's contract? Answer probably is he thinks he'll bounce back or he's extremely high on Stillman.

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
So basically Bowman played a nice guy and allowed Panthers to clear the cap space for they can land a Dman. Borgstrom may deliver, Connolly is trash but he will serve his 8 minutes per game. Also, quite surprised that the 7th is not conditional.

Florida slightly wins this one, but Chicago is anywhere near being foolish there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad